The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ever ordered online from Somerset Saddlery VA (Kris Perdue) - purchase ok?

Has anybody here ever ordered from Somerset Saddlery online?
    Did everything go well?

I placed an order in Aug and only received part of the order. I was told the other half shipped a day later. I never received the 2nd item and it seems impossible to get a hold of anybody at the store number or via email. (have left umptious voicemails & emails, all remain unaswered )

I was just wondering if anyone knows if perhaps the store is closed at present or if there have been problems with online orders in the past.

Thank you.

I see her at many horse shows. I know she's had a difficult time with one of her suppliers, but of course who knows if that's the case with you.

I did purchase something at a show from her once and had it shipped, got to me fine.

Hmmm, thx, perhaps she's at a show at present, hence no means of contact. However you'd expect an out-of-store autoreply on the email I guess.

Very frustrating.

Default Kris Perdue Somerset Saddlery

I too ordered from Kris at Somerset Saddlery and never received the order. I can't get in touch with her via email or phone either. I looked her up at the Better Business Bureau and she has had two complaints, one of which is listed as "unresponsive".

I was wondering if her business was even real or if it is just a website designed to steal people's money? That was when I looked online to see if others were having the same problem and found your post.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Don't do business with her. I ordered what was supposed to be a semi-custom eventing vest from her in early November 2006. She measured me at her mobile unit at the Virginia Horse Trials and said it'd be about four weeks (so early December). I tried to get in touch with her in mid-December to see if she knew when it might come in, but I had no luck getting in touch with her through phone or e-mail. It didn't show up till mid-January and was enormous; even as snug as it would go it didn't come close to fitting properly. Turns out it was an off-the-rack size anyway. I tried to get in touch with her about returning it and eventually gave up and just sold it.

I guess if you're buying something basic from the mobile unit and you're sure about size, like bell boots or something, you're probably OK, but don't bother ordering something; if you do get it and there's a problem with it, you'll never be able to get up with her.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Well, I'm certainly never ordering from her again, money lost basically.
    I have tried every possible means to get in touch with her and all gets ignored.
    I know she collected my voicemail messages, coz her mailbox was full, but the next day it wasn't, so she clearly cleared the messages.
    I've sent emails nearly daily, to the point I feel like I'm some kind of underaged idiot harrassing people. But nope, not a single reply.

She received my money, there was nothing wrong with that, why can't I get the item I ordered, I just don't understand why she choses to do business in such a dodgy way.

Thanks for the replies, seems it's not just me. To others contemplating ordering from her, be forewarned!

well if you paid by credit card your card company might be able to reverse the charges against her for the missing item.

worth a try

I personally would not hesitate to let show management at venues she sets up shop at know what a poor dealer she is.

This issue comes up time and again
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I plan to contact the Better Business Bureau and to file a complaint. They are right online and it seems like a fairly easy process.

I agree with asking our credit card companies to refund the money as well as alerting show management how she conducts business. On her website there is a list of shows she is attending and I suggest writing them as well as her wholesalers.

I am going to sound like my mother, but there is strength in numbers. If we each do something it will be a step in the right direction.

I've ordered from Somerset and never had any issues. Surprised to hear about so many people having problems.

I ordered a Mattes half pad from her last Christmas, it came to me as a dressage half pad not a cc pad, I emailed her she contacted the company they sent me the correct pad and I sent her the wrong one back. So, no complaints from me.
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

I bought some leathers from her on the mobile unit at an event, many years ago now it feels like.

They were too short, so I shipped them back to her to get a refund. I never got the refund, but she sure kept my leathers.

Whoa. That's enough negative feedback for me! I work hard for money, so I don't feel like throwing it at bad business owners.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I claimed the money back via my credit card company.

Jillanddaniel, I agree with you, I'll contact the Better Business Bureau too. Sad one has to take matters that far.
    I just don't understand how someone can ignore the many emails & voicemessage I left, so unprofessional.

Default Had a few problems as well

I was trying to buy a simple black jockey whip from her a few years back. I got sent the wrong one 3 times. Couldn't get phone calls answered and email correspondance with her was slow. Finally went out to a show she was at and exchanged it there.

GordonM978 Guest

Default Wish I'd read this in March!!

Placed an order in March, it's now May and still no product. Ordered a pair of ProChaps half chaps for a trip to AZ in early April.
    No returned calls to phone messages. A couple emails from Kris Perdue and Michelle Craig stating it would be sent within 48 hrs. That was 3 weeks ago. When asked for a tracking number Kris stated "it shipped yesterday, i'll send the tracking number asap." That was two weeks ago... Unless their using an octogenarian bicycle messenger to deliver it, something tells me it's more b.s. Best I can say is avoid them.

AndreaSelleFrancais Guest

Default Also still waiting for service...

I'm also still waiting on an order: I ordered a nice fleece pad for foxhunting back in November. Hunt season is over for this year, and I still don't have the pad, nor a refund. I'd gladly take a refund! Has anyone actually spoken with the BBB or the attorney general? Does anyone know of her show schedule? I'm in NC but will be in northern VA this summer... --Andrea

Here is her posted schedule.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

I had trouble with them too. Here's the blog post I wrote about it. I was trying to be reasonable and give them the benefit of the doubt, but I think my irritation shows:

My Bobby's English Tack rubber reins FINALLY got here from Somerset Saddlery. The reins are lovely, they're the right size, right color, everything. I love the product! Somerset Saddlery was the only online retailer I could find that had them in the brown color and cob size, and they had a great price on the reins.

BUT.

Their order processing and shipping was abysmally slow. I ordered on Monday, June 7, 2010. I didn't hear back on shipping schedule at all, so I emailed the customer service address on Friday, June 11. I'd expected that the reins would get packed and shipped that week, based on my experience with other online retailers like State Line, Dover, English Riding Supply, and Legacy Tack.

Customer service got back to me on Saturday, so good turnaround time there, but the answer was that the reins would ship the next week. Hrm. Well, okay, not much I can do about it.

The email saying that my reins had shipped came on June 16th, 9 days after I'd ordered them. I expected shipping to be fairly quick, so I looked for them on the 18th and the 19th ... no dice.

They finally arrived yesterday, the 23rd, two weeks and two days after I ordered them.

I'm not happy about the processing or shipping time at all. On the other hand, I don't know the tack shop's situation: they could have been at an event, the owner (who was the one who emailed and shipped for me) could have been the only one working, they might have had to wait for the reins to arrive in their shop before they could send them to me, or any of a million other not-their-fault and totally forgivable circumstances. They also don't guarantee shipping time, so that's okay there.

I am definitely happy with the product and the price. I couldn't find Bobby's brown cob size rubber reins for a better price anywhere else, and in some cases I couldn't find them at all in that color/size combination. The shipping was reasonable, too.

So overall review: If you're in a hurry and don't want to pay expedited shipping prices, just trust that the shop will ship right away, use Dover instead. However, if price is your main concern, and you don't mind waiting a while, absolutely order from Somerset Saddlery.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

I had a lot of trouble getting in touch with her too, also zero follow up on her side. It's actually sort of nice to know it wasn't personal .

My boyfriend ordered me a bridle September 25th, to show up my birthday, October 1st. The day after he ordered it, he e-mailed the company to ask them to overnight it to ensure delivery by Saturday, October 1st. They said "sure!" Bridle never got here. Now 9 business days later, when he was charged for overnight postal service, and the product itself.. nothing. Now when he calls, no one answers, and no one has responded to his emails. Great.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."