The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another saddle thread - what is bridging?

Yes, another one of those threads! As the topic, says what exactly is bridging? Can someone show a picture what it looks like?

I am on a saddle hunt for my new mare as my current County Stabilizer does not fit her. I had an used Tad Coffin sent to me for a trial but I didn't like the way it looked on the horse and I really want something more similar to my County sadddle. (I didn't realize how different the TC was to my County)!!!

I'm considering Black Country and have heard good things about them.

Bridging is hard to see in a picture. It means that the saddle isn't making contact (or isn't making enough contact) in the center. The easiest way to picture it is to think of placing a flat saddle (or board) on top of a u shaped horse. The pressure is concentrated at the front and the back, with none, or not equal, pressure in the middle.

This is a picture of bridging.

See how there is contact in the front and back of the panels but there is a gap in the middle where the light can shine through? This means the rider's weight is sent to the front and back in pressure points instead of being distributed over the back across the whole panel.

I had to stop using this saddle (funny you mention Tad Coffin...) because it did this on every horse.

Usually it is less obvious: you can't SEE the bridging but if you run your hand under the length of the panel you can feel that the feel is "snugger" front and back than in the middle.

Ok, I think that is what I was thinking. Here is one picture of the TC saddle on her.

http://tinypic.com/r/2zoyibn/7

I could see daylight when looking under the pommel towards the back of the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    Ok, I think that is what I was thinking. Here is one picture of the TC saddle on her.

http://tinypic.com/r/2zoyibn/7

I could see daylight when looking under the pommel towards the back of the saddle.
    Ahaha, surprise, surprise.

Btw, while I personally picked Albions, I have high regard for Black Country as well. You could spend a lot more money on a lot worse saddle, imo.