The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

You know, there was a reason Gem Twist was gelded......
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

3 members found this post helpful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...ing-owner.html

Maybe this has already been noted--but there is a second clone gone to England!

Just saw his ad in Horse of the Delaware Valley. US stud fee of $3500 which includes $500 nonrefundable booking fee. LFG. Fresh cooled semen.

He is registered with Anglo European Stud Book.

www.chadofarms.com

The ad is on page 11 of Jan 2013 Horse of Delaware Valley.
    Last edited by mkevent; Dec. 29, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mckenna310 View Post
    Bringing this thread back

I saw Gemini at a schooling show a bit ago. It seems the earlier comment on temperament was correct. Very naughty, was rearing and leaping around at the in gate-- had to be kept away and trotted in. Let everyone know he was a stallion, screaming, etc. He was smaller than I'd thought, fairly light boned, and very average looking. Jumped decently. Maybe he will grow into himself more.
    Strictly out of curiousity, do you know who was riding him? Not a name, per se', but was it someone you know with great experience, or someone who maybe was just happy to be associated with those "names"?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I talked to Laura Chapot in October when I saw her at Gladstone, and although I didn't ask specifically I was left thinking she was riding him.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Well he is young and if they dont take him anywhere he doesnt even get a chance to learn his job. If he still acts that way after lots of outside world experience/stimuli that is an issue that may translate to one's breeding decision. Certainly people would not be breeding to him anyway for an ammie hunter.

4 members found this post helpful.

Any Gemini updates since Dec 2012? Friend just posted that she is breeding a mare to him so wanted to bump this thread up and see if he has been out at any shows this year and how he was doing

just reading their website...interesting stuff. It seems that all the clones are males...or are they just not talking about the fillies ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    just reading their website...interesting stuff. It seems that all the clones are males...or are they just not talking about the fillies ?
    Not sure what you mean by this but any foals sired by a clone are not clones themselves. And of course, a clone of Gem Twist would have to be male.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is this a serious question? There's one x chromosome and one y available for cloning here, so all clones are males. No mystery fillies to worry about.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I did not at all take mardi's comment the way you 2 did LOL

I took it to mean "it seems like the site only has clones of geldings/stallions, not mares"

Indeed, MOST of the cloned horses there were geldings or stallions. I did find a mare mentioned though, way at the bottom, Grande Dame

2 members found this post helpful.

Other than my friend's mare that is being bred to him, have any others taken the plunge and bred any mares to him this year?

They have cloned mares: Poetin, Ratina Z (both several times).

You can buy clones of Betty de Kreisker SF; Charites KWPN (dam of Nadine); Harmoni KWPN; Roxane de Gruchy SF; Sophie du Chateau SF; Une Etoile d'Elle SF; Varoussa Arab.

I thought they cloned Dollar Girl, but I can't find any reference for it.

We don't know how many mares have donated tissue for cloning anonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    Is this a serious question? There's one x chromosome and one y available for cloning here, so all clones are males. No mystery fillies to worry about.
    You know what ? You're absolutely right !!
    The males would have males.
    I was totally asleep at the wheel on that one. LOL.
    Posted at 12:30 AM.....that'll teach me.
    When I think clone, I think pedigree, not gender.

"Learn to admit your mistakes before someone exaggerates the story."

My mistake !
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Other than my friend's mare that is being bred to him, have any others taken the plunge and bred any mares to him this year?

I've seen a few lovely foal pictures by him. Gem was handful as a young horse...and as an older horse too. NO...I would not breed to him for hunters or event horses but absolutely for jumpers. He was gelded mostly because he was for sale/sold as a young horse and they still had his sire. Frank was in the business of selling horses...not keeping every colt a stallion.

Even when he was still competing...if you looked at Gem in his stall, he was not very big nor very impressive. Just your classic white TB--nice but not anything that really stood out. But damn, when he got into the warm up for a big class. He would grow. And the power that horse had off the ground was unbelievable. He was an absolute talent.

Most people would not have picked Gem out of a line of horses as any thing close to how special he was...but if you saw him go....any horseman knew what a talent he was.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    You know, there was a reason Gem Twist was gelded......
    I'm with Sonesta to hear that he's a bit of a handful isn't shocking. His donor was gelded for also being a bit of a handful and having concentration issues.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

You know what ? You're absolutely right !!
    The males would have males.
    I was totally asleep at the wheel on that one. LOL.
    Posted at 12:30 AM.....that'll teach me.
    When I think clone, I think pedigree, not gender.

"Learn to admit your mistakes before someone exaggerates the story."

My mistake !
    Love it, Mardi! But, maybe in this case a mare with an identical phenotype would prove easier to handle temperament wise if possible to create, so....your line of thought is interesting.... Maybe someday we'll figure out how to extend a Y into an X without messing up the genetic "message".

I almost bought a half sister to Gem Twist waaaay back (same dam, of course) and she was a doll. Sweetest mare ever and could jump the moon. Only, turned out she was nearly blind in one eye and did poorly on her flexions at 4 years old, so it was a no go for me. :-( I'd hoped to breed eventually and the vet said the eye was a heritable thing, so I didn't even look into the failed flexions.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    I have a yearling colt by him who is pretty nice so far (fingers crossed that I don't jinx him by saying that). He is gelded and his temperment is nice so far.
    Impossible is nothing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Most people would not have picked Gem out of a line of horses as any thing close to how special he was...but if you saw him go....any horseman knew what a talent he was.
    He was the most impressive jumper I've ever seen. Took your breath away. Hope his clone can pass on that talent but I rather doubt it. IMO, Gem Twist was more of an "end product" rather than breeding material.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    He was the most impressive jumper I've ever seen. Took your breath away. Hope his clone can pass on that talent but I rather doubt it. IMO, Gem Twist was more of an "end product" rather than breeding material.

Only reason I disagree is that I rode and knew several others of his family. All very impressive but of course he was a freak--heads above most other horses. That said...I think his pedigee and line DO have a lot to offer. And I have VERY little doubt that crossed on the right type of mare, he is as capable of producing a competitive horse for today as many of the other stallions out there. That TB blood that he carries is hard to find and would be a great cross on some of the WB mares out there. His jump was certainly something that was in that family and I think would be passed on. Will the clone produce another as talented as Gem. Maybe not but that is because ones like Gem are very VERY rare...but he certainly does have a good chance of producing top jumping horses. The freaks like Gem are a combination of genetics and training....but the genetics are there and they are worth breeding on.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

4 members found this post helpful.