The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FTGH: Several Cats and Dogs, Concord, NC

Due to pending separation as well as health problems/medical bills I am having to rehome the following animals ASAP to good homes or for them to go into rescue. I have a 501c3 pet rescue as well as my farm animals that I need to find a home for.
    CATS:
    Barn Cats
    Several barn cats: different colors, ages and sexes. All are spayed or neutered, up to date on shots and some are microchipped. Various temperaments but most are great hunters
    Inside Cats:
    Kera – sweet black and white female, LOVES attention. Spayed, up to date on shots and microcipped, 2 yrs old
    Jasper – brown tabby male, LOVES attention and lazy, approx. 2 years old, up to date on shots, neutered and microchipped.
    Eleanor – calico female, likes attention but a little shy, around 3 years old, up to date on shots, spayed and microchipped.

DOGS:
    Please go to www.militarypetoutreach.rescuegroups.com for a complete listing of dogs needing homes. All are free to a good home with signed adoption application.
    Last edited by graceridgefarms; Sep. 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Due to bad wording at the beginning I've changed it to make others on this board happy.

What happened to Pal and the other horse/s that you adopted through this board?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    What happened to Pal and the other horse/s that you adopted through this board?

"COMPLETE CRITTER LIQUIDATION"?????????????????????????? OP, this s not how legitimate rescues work.

It sounds like she is being very responsible to look out for the animals before a situation gets bad. She is a great provider and has taken in animals that no one else would. Why not try to encourage her as she is doing the right thing instead of attack her?

I would take in something, but we are full at my house. I hope they can all find great homes. Perhaps you guys can help lighten the load?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishKharma View Post
    It sounds like she is being very responsible to look out for the animals before a situation gets bad. She is a great provider and has taken in animals that no one else would. Why not try to encourage her as she is doing the right thing instead of attack her?

I would take in something, but we are full at my house. I hope they can all find great homes. Perhaps you guys can help lighten the load?
    I already do my own rescue there IK....sorry, but I would never use the term "CRITTER LIQUIDATION" when it comes to the animals in my household.

Perhaps one shouldn't take in quite so many animals and then start trying to liquidate them ASAP.

I also know the poster, and she is a wonderful person who does great work. Horsetech, if you are that worried about it, maybe you should either adopt all her animals into your rescue, or leave this post for folks looking for a pet to adopt. Not meaning to be rude at all, but lets not send this post in the wrong direction by being critical of her wording.
    Your dog may not be broken, but he still needs to be fixed.

Pal the blind horse I got on here is still with me and doing well, just had his yearly vet check up a couple weeks ago. Pal will be with me until he dies if I can help it. He is a horse that is different to deal with not because of him being blind but because of his attitude and I want to make sure that all the effort I put into him was not in vein and he go to someone that will not want to deal with his ill temper toward other horses. He’s been to schools to teach kids about disabilities and how you can have one and live a normal life.
    As for the other pony I got off here, he ended up being a bolter and not safe for my son so he was gave to a nice lady to be a pasture pal for her horse.

You other people need to get off my case. Bad choice of words on my part, true. The cats are my personal cats, not rescue. They are all up to date on shots, spayed/neutered and most are microchipped. The dogs are part of the rescue. All are vetted, up to date on shots, microchipped and on heartworm preventative. Some are crate trained, some are house trained and some have basic manners.

Sometimes life deals you a hand that you don't plan on. I'm planning ahead so these guys can find a good home before I have to post an urgent, emergency post because I have no place for them to go and have to move out. NOW THAT would not be responsible wouldn't it?

Those of you who don't know me should not judge me. I am a college educated, companionate, friendly and usually happy person. I always put other people and my animals before myself. I try to put humor in life, it's better to laugh than cry sometimes. This past week has been a living nightmare. Will spare you a lot of the details of everything but one thing that happened out of several just in the past few days was that I bought a starving horse off the side of the rode only to have to put her down Monday due to internal problems that me nor the vet could have done anything about. While me and the vet were trying to get her up hubby came out and told me he was going to bed and just left me out there to deal with all this...which I got through.

I have dumped my heart, soul, time and money into my rescue. I wrote a grant and got funded to get the 501c3, I do this all by myself with a few people who help every now and then. I've spent around $10,000 this year on animals and cleaning up after other peoples BS. I've turned away animals in need because I was full, I've drove to military bases when soldiers were on leave from Iraq to help them with their pets. I've tried to educate people on spay/neuter and how to properly take care of their pets. I've practiced more customer service than a lot of rescues do.

I've started having panic attacks due to the stresses at home, have depression, have my horses, a full time job, a six year old, and a house hold to run. I have an injured knee that without monthly injections I could hardly walk, I'm 33 have advanced Arthritis in my right knee, bone spurs, pitted knee caps and live with some pretty good pain every day from over doing myself. That on top of a husband who likes to make life worse than normal for fun, who never helps, who is mentally abusive, etc and so on....and you wonder why I need to downsize fast and posted this on here.

I’ve taken in BLM horses from people who had no business adopting them to keep them going back to the government only get injured and not be able to gentle them and train them like I should. I adopted a starved mustang who I still can’t get weight on and the vet and I are still trying to find things to do to help him gain weight.

My life, health and son are more important than anything. I've started stressing too much on the animals that I care so much about. I want to make sure they find a GOOD PLACE, not just a place to go because I can no longer keep them. Do you people realize how hard it is to have a farm and everything else you always wanted in life since you were little and then have to walk away from it all? That’s hard as heck to swallow.

If I knew life was going to deal me this hand do you think I would have started all of this? Well no....You people talk about those who get in over their heads, who have too many, who hoard, who don't take proper care of the animals they have, who can't say no. I'm here trying to do the right thing and find these animals a good, safe place to go, who are cared for 100% before things happen and I can't and you say I'm not for real, I'm not legit....

I didn't owe any of you an explanation, it's my business, but I posted it on here to get you to think about your words before you post next time. One thing I've learned through all of this is that horse people are some of the best but often some of the most judgmental people I've ever met. Shame on you for judging me and my situation before you know the whole story. I would rather keep at this and put myself in an early grave than some of you people on here help me out but I care about my son more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetech21 View Post
    I already do my own rescue there IK....sorry, but I would never use the term "CRITTER LIQUIDATION" when it comes to the animals in my household.

Perhaps one shouldn't take in quite so many animals and then start trying to liquidate them ASAP.
    horsetech - I didn't take in quite so many animals. Some of these have been here 7 years, All the rescue dogs I have (except for two puppies who have been here a month) have been here since the beginning of the year becuase they are harder to place due to age, breed OR had heartworms that I've treated (and costed $850). Do you think I took in the animals here recently and then had to get them all homes? Well that would be stupid now wouldn't it?

The animals I have here I can take care of and financially provide for. I am not one to take in a animal before the money is there as I don't believe in having an animal to care for if you can not do it right, which is why I am wanting to find these guys home before that time comes. If it weren't for me they would all be dead, starved or abused. I'm not saying that beccause I want a gold star, I'm saying it so you will see this was not something that was quick in the making. It was a hard decision for me but one I knew had to be made. I've changed the wording in my post to reflect your "suggestion". I didn't mean it the way you took it so get off your little high horse and come back down to earth.