The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old fashioned fake tails

OK, found a tail which matches our horse's tail perfectly at the barn. Problem is that it is the "old type" of fake tails. It has the holes at the top two corners and then two grommets down the middle. It is backed with leather. It is the kind that must be braided in. Anyone know how to put this type of tail in?

I can braid but have never done this type of tail before. Anyone know of any websites which might have a demo of how to do this type of tail? I don't know if all of the braiders know how to do it anymore.

Try The Show Pen, I believe they still make these types of tails. www.theshowpen.com.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Yes, the one we have is the one with the natural hide. I see how to do it and guess there will be a lot of practicing to get it right with a braid in it.

If any braiders could chime in on exactly how to do that I would appreciate it.

I am guessing that I get it put in nice and tight then I start braiding it like normal. I am also guessing that the normal tail braid will cover the hide as well as the braids that go onto the hide thing to keep it in tight.

Glad that we don't need it for a few months. I'm going to be doing a lot of tail braiding in the meantime