The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Have you guys seen this?

I saw this on another bb and wanted to put it here too. What a really generous and great idea. Good luck Kathy!

We have been fortunate to have been blessed with many friends that have helped us over the years. We are now trying to "pay it forward" To that end:

As many of you know, on March 3, 2010 dressage rider, Courtney King-Dye fell from a horse and suffered a traumatic head injury. The injury resulted in severe brain trauma and Courtney was in a coma for several weeks following the accident. Courtney has defied the odds and has not only regained consciousness, she is making miraculous progress and recently has even ridden a horse as part of her therapy. However, the costs associated with her medical care and rehabilitation are devastatingly high.

The Oklahoma Dressage Society and Avalon Equine have joined forces in an effort to raise funds to assist one of their own! To that end, Avalon Equine is donating the 2010 Oldenburg colt, Adieu d’Avalon (Aloha x Morticia/Mannhattan) to a fund raiser where tickets will be sold for the chance to win the colt. Adieu is a striking chestnut colt out of one of Avalon Equine’s best mares. Avalon will cover all costs associated with Adieu’s care, inspection and registration until the winning ticket holder is announced. The proceeds will be donated to the Courtney King-Dye Trust to assist in covering the extraordinary costs associated with her medical care and rehabilitation.

Courtney-King Dye raffle. Raffle tickets are $5.00 each or 25 for $100.00. You can go here:
    http://www.avalon-equine.com/raffle.html

All the money will go to help
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

That is REALLY cool. I just bought $100 in tickets. Maybe you could change the thread title to "Colt being raffled for Courtney K-D Benefit" or something like that so more people would check it out??
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I would like to grab some tickets but if I win, I would need a home for the colt. Or can I just donate?

I'm in!! And found a great place for the colt if I do win.
    Last edited by stoicfish; Sep. 7, 2010 at 02:35 PM.

I believe they're going to draw several tickets so there will be the winner, a runner up and another runner up for just that reason. So many people don't want another horse. So if you did win, but didn't want the baby, they would choose the next runner up and so on.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

My tickets are purchased!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I purchased a ticket as well. Hey, I'd love to win that colt!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Thumbs up

It's a great idea, and really generous. Kudos to Kathy and Jos.

I read about it earlier today on Facebook - they have a FB page, so if you have one you can also share the info with your friends to help spread the word.

I've shared, and I definitely plan to buy some tickets!

It is a VERY generous thing and I am going to buy tickets. I am sure my 2010 Rubignon colt would love to have a playmate his own age!

I just pray the colt ends up in a good home with someone who has a clue about raising babies (and not with some newbie who has never owned a horse and has no idea what it takes to raise a baby and how much it costs to own a horse!)
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by stoicfish View Post
    I would like to grab some tickets but if I win, I would need a home for the colt. Or can I just donate?

I'm in!! And found a great place for the colt if I do win.
    We will be drawing a couple runner up tickets as a "just in case". Several people have indicated that they would love to help out but just don't want or need a foal <lol>.

Quote Originally Posted by Inca
    I just pray the colt ends up in a good home with someone who has a clue about raising babies (and not with some newbie who has never owned a horse and has no idea what it takes to raise a baby and how much it costs to own a horse!)
    We will offer our continued support and assistance to whomever ends up with the foal and will, of course, post updates on their progress <smile>. We will be a "safety net" so to speak. So, no worries there.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Can you purchase a ticket if you are in Canada?

Dalemma

I did.
    And I defiantly want the colt if I win. Have a super home arranged for him in California, which is much more humane then shipping him up here to live on an iceberg with me.
    The proceeds from the "sale" will go directly back to the charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    Can you purchase a ticket if you are in Canada?

Dalemma
    Yup!

Default Wow! He's really something!

Guys, if you haven't bought a raffle ticket yet, don't miss out!

I saw Adieu d’Avalon at the Oldenburg NA inspection at Avalon Equine on 9/16 and he's stunning!

He is stunning He has a ton of presence and really looks like he'll make someone an awesome competition horse.

Seriously, don't let this opportunity pass you by, he's NICE.

I'll let Kathy post his scores but I think he scored very well

Quote Originally Posted by mlranchtx View Post
    I'll let Kathy post his scores but I think he scored very well
    <smile>...Thanks Lindsey. Unfortunately, Adieu decided to "pop" a foot abscess the day before the inspection. I just LOVE hot dry weather and then really wet weather and then really hot dry weather...and so on <rolling eyes>. He received an 8.2 on type and conformation, but when he trotted out he was off on his right fore just a bit...enough that we knew he wasn't going to score as well as we would like to see and knew he could. So we opted for a no score . I'll post some new photos of him shortly. Linda Earley was kind enough to take photos at our inspection and got a few really beautiful photos of him (as well as all of the other horses !

On another note, we are now no longer able to take Paypal for purchase of the tickets . It is apparently against their user policy to purchase "lottery tickets, raffle tickets, etc." and we are now forced to receive payments the old fashioned way - checks, money orders or cash - do people REALLY still use those methods of payment??? . Details are on the webpage on where to send payments: http://www.avalon-equine.com/donation.com

Thank you everyone for your support of this fund raiser!