The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kent and Masters saddles

I had my saddle fitter come out see my new horse. The saddle that came with him really doesn't fit. Becuase of my limited budget she suggested a Kent and Masters. Has anyone had any experience with them?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Not personal experience, but I have heard good things about them. I believe they are the leather versions of the Thorowgood saddles, which I really like.

I owned a Kent dressage saddle for a time. It was a good value for the money but the wide tree is not a TRUE wide so it wouldn't work for my mare.

I would say the model I had was similar in quality to the Thornhill. Decent leather and good balance for the money.

The leather version of the Thorowgood line is called Fairfax. I have heard excellent reviews of both the Thorowgood saddles and their leather counterparts. I do not have personal experience with either however. The prices certainly are right.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Talia - the Kent Dressage saddle you would have had is not the Kent and Masters OP is referring to.

OP - The Kent and Masters is the middle level saddle in the Thorowgood/Kent and Masters/Fairfax line. I personally own both a Thorowgood T4 (synthetic) dressage saddle, and a Fairfax (leather) dressage saddle. All 3 versions come with adjustable gullet system. The panels are nice and wide, have really good bearing area. The thorowgood is nice, pretty comfortable, well made, but squeeks llike synthetics do. I LOVE my Fairfax, georgeous leather and exterior blocks. The Kent and Masters has adjustable blocks under the flap. The tree is exactly the same as that in the Thorowgood and Fairfax. Supposedly the leather is not quite as nice as the Fairfax, but I am willing to bet it is still quite nice. Personally if your saddle fitter thinks it will fit your horse I would give it a try. The saddles are priced very low for their quality. For example my Fairfax was $1800 and a friend bought a custom saddlery saddle for 2600 and I think mine is nicer leather, and better made overall or at least equal.

good luck
    arabsrock

I realize this is an old thread, but was wondering if anyone had any additional experience with Kent and Masters saddles? I am wondering if this might work for me and maybe I can afford both a jump and dressage saddle this way

I have sat in these saddles and love them, although in the end I chose an Albion for my guys.

I recommended the saddle to a friend who was on a bit tighter budget and it is GREAT for her horse and she LOVES it.

Hers was fitted by Kate of dutchessbridlesaddle.com.

I would not hesitate to get one (or several) if I increased my sales horse business to having multiple horses going through always needing saddles.

Thanks for the info! Do you recall what model you sat in or your friend got?

Quote Originally Posted by froglander View Post
    Thanks for the info! Do you recall what model you sat in or your friend got?
    I think it was an All Purpose. Sat pretty "dressagey" to me.

Okay, thanks Trumbull Mtn is going to start carrying them and they have me very curious.

I believe Classic Saddlery also carries the range.

You might pm arabiansrock if she doesn't chime in - also watch the fit videos on the nicely revamped K & M web site.

Hi arabiansrock here. I have a thorowgood T4, had a Fairfax which I traded in on a Hastilow concept which is essentially the same as the Thorowgood, Kent and Masters/Fairfax but you can get bench made options. I have not yet gotten to sit in the Kent and Masters but considering how nice both the cheaper and more expensive products in the line are, I can't imagine that they will be anything but nice.

Truly the only complaint I have about them is that the seat is not very deep. i wish there was a little more height to the cantle behind me, for support in the canter (my most unstable gait). However with that said, the seat is very balanced, it does not hold you in position, but rather allows you to find where you are comfortable. To me, they feel alot like a Passier in that respect.

Since I cannot affort another Hastilow concept, I am seriously considering the Kent and Master S series for my boy when I have enough pennies saved up.

Classic saddlery has them on order, but they have not yet arrived. If you are interested, email Lynnda, maybe she can put you on a list of interested parties when they arrive?

Trumbull Mtn also has some on order.

If you try one, please come back and let us know what you think.

I am trying one at the end of the month. Will report back.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'm really curious to see them! I am on a waiting list at Trumbull Mtn, I think they are anxious to get them in as well, seems like a number of people have expressed interest in them. Will be interesting to see what they are like in person.

for those of you wanting to try the Kent and Masters saddles, Advanced Saddle fit also has them offered on their website. Don't know if they have them in stock or not, you would have to call.

I saw them at the AETA trade show, though didn't ride or sit in one. Middle of the road leather. The jumping styles were far more "jumper" and "eventer" than hunter. Pretty normal looking dressage range. Unterchangeable gullets, nice deep gusseted panels. Seemed very comporable to the Bates but slightly nicer finishing/leather. Not going to be mistaken for a CWD in a dark alley anytime soon
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I got my Fairfax for $1225 shipped from the UK from Old Mill Saddlery (www.saddlery.biz) He's also an excellent fitter and gave me good advice about how the saddle would fit my horse before I ordered. May help those of you on a budget who know this saddle would fit and are considering the Kent and Masters to save $$. The exchange rate is pretty favorable right now.