Hi: I just recently bred a maiden mare via AI, vet cked today and not in foal. I was just so bummed out. I was told maidens were the easiest. This is my 5th failed attempt at AI. Last year I tried to breed a mare, I later sold because we failed to get her in foal after 5 tries. We did all the cultures, etc. One time she had ovulated before semen, next time vet said semen was not good, who knows with the other two times. The vet is very good at everything else needed, but now I am questioning the abilities of repro. I have this nagging thought of what if I'm not being told properly about the follicle size, or did we ovulate prior to breeding etc? I know we are at the vet's mercy, but after two mares and still no pregnancy with same vet, I am getting concerned, not to mention how it is effecting my pocket book. The semen we used this time, I picked it up, looked at it under microscope, it was very active, it was collected at 2:30 pm on Saturday and put in mare at 9:30 the next morning...so still pretty fresh semen. Just looking for some advice here. Any one else have any issues like this or can point me in some other directions? Thanks
Thank you Kathy. I was sticking with her because she did have success in 2007 with the mare that we could never get in foal last year. So, I thought, she was just having a off year, but now this. I think that is what I shall be hunting now.
May I suggest that you keep records yourself as well? Record the size of the follicles when ultrasounded and eventually you will have a better sense yourself of what your mares' cycles are like. You still need a good repro vet, but you will feel less at their mercy.
I was where you are last year and the beginning of this year. I was using my regular vet who has a good reputation for repro with not a whole lot of luck. Not really saying all the problems were related to the vet, but I just felt if I kept doing the same things I was going to keep getting the same results. (which was not acceptable) I asked fellow COTHers to recommend me a good repro specialist in my area and I now have a confirmed pregnancy on the most troublesome of my mares, and at half the cost. The second mare is still giving me fits, but it is really due mostly to her age I believe. I agree with an above poster, keep excellent records yourself, because when you do go to switch, old vet may not be so forthcoming with the info to the new one and it can be a bit of a tricky situation, particularly if you intend on using them for emergencies, etc and routine things. Any previous info you can give them will help them have more success for you.
Good luck, I hope things turn around for you. I have found breeding to be a very humbling rollercoaster ride!
Thank you all, you have all helped me so much. We have decided to haul the mare to the stallion owner and let her handle the breeding in the spring. We are lucky that they are only an hour away from me and they are a very well known breeding farm. So, I feel good that a new plan is in place. Just so frustrating because like so many, I have so little money for these things and it's just a waste to spend it and get nothing for it! GAH. The roller coaster ride continues