The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Till Debt do us Part

I love this show, and started my own jar $ystem. It's working out really well too. Anyone else love this TV show?

Quote Originally Posted by Lambie Boat View Post
    I love this show, and started my own jar $ystem. It's working out really well too. Anyone else love this TV show?
    I never heard of it till now. How does a jar system work? I'm curious.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Her maths bothers me. Everyone is well on their way to debt the size of some country's GNP at the beginning, and at the end if they make some reasonable cuts they'll be debt-free by next Sunday.

Ok, I exaggerate. But I can't help suspecting that she does too.

I think the way the system works is that if they don't cut back, and start paying on the debt that the new debt will add up, and the current debt will keep growing because they only pay the minimum on it, plus the interest rate keeps going up when you pay late too. I think her math is a little shaky too, but I can't believe the denial in these relationships. I hated Sam of Sam and Stephanie-he was horrifically mean to his wife, and I would have dumped him years ago before the children started treating people like that little dictator did. And I can't believe how little some people know about the amount of debt they both have, and what a shock the total amount is. Remember the trophy wife with one or two little kids married to the older man who was in debt from his divorce and from spending like there was no tomorrow? And the people who take expensive vacations constantly amaze me. And the singer and musician where she basically said her art was too important to expect her to make money? But her partner certainly was expected to work at anything to make money-what a witch she was.

The jar system is cash only, you put the amounts for food, transportation, recreation, and other lifestyle categories in jars and when the money is gone you are through. Some of these people have been through bankruptcy and consumer proposal (like credit counseling I guess) repeatedly and never seem to learn. I understand the slice.ca website has follow ups on some stories but I can't get them to play(maybe they only work in Canada).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I LOVE this show!!! I like my system of keeping track of things and my spending plan better, but I think Gayle's advice is spot on in most cases. People ARE clueless when it comes to debt and money management and her tough love approach works for a lot of people.

I also think that the size of the debt and cluelessness of the peopel is part of the casting process.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

My mother had a jar system 60 years ago.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Nice debt scammer showing up on a debt thread, LOL!

Never saw the show but I do a jar method of saving...I never ever use change when purchaing anything in cash. I just give paper money and all change gets thrown into my purse.

At the end of every week when my purse weighs more than I do, I empty it into jars. One jar for pennies only and oone for silver only.

Once a year or even longer I'll put it through one of those little coin counting/wrapping machines I have at home (the store ones charge you) and either deposit it or sometimes use it on something I'd otherwise never spend the money on, something special or whatever.

On average it's a couple hundred dollars minimum per year. Money I'd otherwise have never known what I spent it on.

I do something similar with my checking account. I enter all checks into the register rounded up to the nearest $5 incremement. So a check for $36.15 I enter into the register as $40.00 and deduct that from my balance.

That way I *always* have a pretty decent sized cushion in there that I don't ever spend because I'm never sure how much extra is there. And in mid-November every year I pay the bank $5 to balance my checkbook electronically for me and take a good chunk out for Christmas. But I still leave a decent sized excess.

It's also handy if an emergency comes up. Or I can re-balance it myself online.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Lambie Boat View Post

I couldn't believe the two people who walked off the show, then returned but fought everything. They were spending almost $2,000 a month on their dogs! I don't know how you do that without a fulltime live-in dog nanny! They came on the show clueless, and left clueless, and are probably now broke and clueless. They make me feel so fiscally responsible and grownup in comparison to them.

I've seen it a few times. It's so sad that people are so clueless and need someone to tell them this, let alone that they argue about it. I saw one were the guy was a complete ASS and abusive to his wife, refused to get rid of his brand new car because HE deserved it, and walked out.

Really it is just stop spending. Do what you have to do get it done. I NEVER buy anything I don't actually have money for and never have. I just refied, and my mortgage broker loves me. My credit score is 840. Just don't buy anything you don't have cash for. It's that simple. (And I'm SO not putting down people in dire straits. This is in reference to the people on the show who are just delusional.)

what channel is it on and when?

It's on CNBC tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern time, right after Suze Orman. There will be two half hour episodes. Apparently they decided to film more episodes, but the current ones are reruns from a couple of years ago. A month or so ago one episode had a young couple, and the woman had a horse. Since the horse costs about $500 a month to support the boyfriend wanted her to put the horse down because it was a waste of money. I can suggest another way to save money and get rid of a major jerk too-I hope she realized what an idiot he was and dumped the guy.

A couple of notes about the show. It is filmed in Canada, and there are differences such as mortgage interest isn't deducible, and the basic medical insurance cost is not listed because it's universal.

They were spending almost $2,000 a month on their dogs! I don't know how you do that without a fulltime live-in dog nanny!
    Someone on another forum thought they were taking the dogs to doggie day care. A lot. Plus they had the classes, etc.

But yeah - $2k/month and not titling dogs in something? It's hard to spend that much without some sort of major medical disaster or showing.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Epona-I saw that, and I still was amazed by the fact that they never did see why they were wasting money.

Is anyone watching the classic Simone episode? She shops virtually every day, and between her designer purses and their credit card interest spent something like 17,000 in one year-enough for two years for a kid at university! And they had to move into a normal apartment to show them what their life will be like after they lose the house and everything else. They lasted no time there at all, and apparently the deal breaker was that they could smell other peoples food cooking, and the tv was too small. I want to have a Canadian COTH road trip drop in on her, with Aunt Esther and her purse to whack some sense into her. I can't believe that Simone and the husband haven't lost everything by now (it was filmed in 2008), and have split up too. Denial is apparently not just a river in Egypt. She still goes and has her hair done, makeup done, mani-pedis and massages at least once a week. You'd think with the amount of beauty work she has done that she wouldn't look like a low rent Dolly Parton look alike, but cheaper. And she keeps shopping for her dream car-a $100,000+ mercedes sports car.
    Last edited by JanM; Dec. 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

No offense, but how is it possible that people don't know stuff like what they owe, interest rates, payment schedules and whatnot?

My life is admittedly simple-- It's just me, and I don't have a complicated tax/debt/salary picture. But I'm genuinely surprised to learn that so many adults (on this show at least) don't know where their money goes to the point that they are swamped with debt.

It seems to me that knowledge about one's financial picture is pretty much free. Have I got that wrong?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Apparently, sometimes the spouses hide the bills from each other. Remember the older man who paid for his first divorce on credit cards, and had the much younger wife with a kid or two? Apparently she didn't have a clue that their entire financial life was in the toilet, and that all of the house improvements were things they couldn't afford either-apparently her trust in her hubby was as misplaced as the first wife's was.

A lot of these people simply lie to themselves and each other about the interest rate, debts, and how much they spend over their income until the bill collectors start calling and writing. I thought I would die laughing when the young couple who moved into their parents' basement and tried to go bankrupt (apparently in Canada you can dump student loans too) but couldn't write off the student debt-they both had parental cosigners and therefore the debt would have gone to the parents. The husband who was so abusive that Gail offered to pay for counseling for her was horrifically bad also-he had a prior bankruptcy or two and had no intention of changing his spending habits. I can't believe these fools agree to come on tv, and they must be doing it for the $5,000 because they have no intention of reforming.

The husband and wife who were both musicians were hysterical too. Gail wanted them to get parttime jobs with their music to pay the bills and the husband did, but the wife said her art was too important to lower herself to teaching students-what a raving nutcase she was.