The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Really, Mac store? Or, a cracked Mac screen

Several months ago, my Mac display was broken. The middle portion of the screen was fuzzy so that nothing could be read. I took it in to a Mac store, and as it was under warranty they fixed it for free, no questions asked. They replaced the display.

Three or four days later, my thumb was resting on the screen as I shifted the computer. I was exerting less than half the force I would to clean the screen. Where my thumb was, a huge black spot appeared, and the entire display cracked. Diagonally across at the bottom, a second black smudge appeared. About a square half-inch in the top corner was still useable at all.

I researched the problem and was very upset by what I found: countless complaints about this happening and Mac refusing to fix it for less than $730, no matter the warranty. I also read that Mac would claim I had stuck a pencil on my keyboard and then closed the computer.

The next day, I took the computer to the Mac store. They refused to fix it for less than $730. They told me I had stuck a pencil on my keyboard, and closed the computer. I told them I had expected this, were they aware of all the complaints about this VERY issue. Mac Store Genius: "That's not true, there are not complaints." I pulled them up on a different computer. He blinked. I asked for the manager.

I told the manager my story. He called me a liar. In not a very quiet or a very friendly tone. Repeatedly, whenever I reiterated my story. My story was not possible. In particular, I told him the damage would be made worse when I moved the screen up and down (as if to close the lid). Not possible, says he. I did it. He stared. Then he offered me 20% off.

I had no choice, so after a FULL half hour of flat-out ranting, I handed over my computer. I immediately called the Apple headquarters to demand an apology for being called a liar by an employee. A LONG while later, I still did not have the correct person on the phone, but I did have an engineer. He told me, in not so many words, that what had happened was theoretically possible. The place fixing my computer could send the headquarters a picture. HQ would decide if my story was possible. This, he said, would require an "indefinite hold" on my computer, probably for at least several weeks. I never did manage to get through to make a complaint about that manager. He also implied that they would not be overturning any decisions, per Mac policy that the "Apple bar geniuses" cannot be overridden. By anyone.

I used a connection at Virginia Tech to speak to an expert there about the situation. He said that my story was entirely plausible, and that Mac has a history of this. Wanting further confirmation, I had someone put me in touch with someone in the field at MIT. Not only did Mac have a history of this, they had done the same thing to the very person I was speaking to.

So, as you consider buying your next computer, please think of this. And if anyone has any Mac stories, please do share. You, Mac store, no longer have my business.
    <><

Thanks for the tip. I am forwarding this to a friend.

When you say "Mac store," are you talking about a true Apple store or an authorized reseller/technician? Big difference.

Secondly - and I say this as someone who worked for Apple for nearly two years - you have to realize how many people come in with laptops that are visibly victims of accidental damage and claim that "Oh, I just found it like that." Yeah, I'm sure your iced latte just jumped up and spilled itself on your keyboard.

I realize your situation is a little different, and of course, frustrating, but they have to be careful about things like that, otherwise they'd never make any money. And, technically speaking, *you* did cause the damage.

(By the way, the company is called Apple, not Mac.)

Sorry for the confusion, an Apple store. I never know when to use Mac/ Apple (I have a Mac I bought at the Apple store, I guess).

Tha Ridge, I'm glad someone who used to work at Apple chimed in. However, they have hundreds, and probably thousands of customers giving them basically the same story over several years. We should be proud of the scam we cooked up, just to convince Apple that they created a defective product. Really though, I could tell the store that the man in the moon spilled a latte on my computer and if the manager accuses me of being a liar loud enough that people turn around and stare, you better believe the higher-ups are being called.

(No longer directed at Tha Ridge) Just this morning I was reading a report about the Rosenhan experiments, but I never guessed it would come into play this very day. In the early 1970s, a psychiatrist told a famous hospital that he was going to be sending fake "mentally-ill" patients to them, to see whether they could weed out the impostors. They weeded out over forty of just about 200. Rosenhan had not sent any impostors. It seems that Mac is doing the same thing: they are "on guard" that the impostors of coming, so they start weeding out ones that just aren't there.
    <><

The treatment you got from the manager definitely isn't inline with Apple retail's customer service policies. I'm not sure if there's more than one store in your area, but if there is, I would've tried another store.

Of course, at the same time, Apple doesn't adhere to the "customer is always right" policy. Rather, they give a lot of power and respect to store employees, and if a customer is rude or raises their voice, your Genius has every right (as far as Apple says) to refuse help to you.

I'm not saying you were rude at all, just trying to shed a little more light on how the stores/employees, etc., work.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

This is exactly why DD got a Dell for Christmas.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Got a Mac for christmas and its at the apple store getting a new hard drive already. Great, but its at least free. I do nothing but go on this forum, facebook, and type up the feed chart, boarding contact, etc for the barn. Not understanding why my hard drive took a shit. SO frustrating and after telling me that all my data is gone they offered to try to retrieve it for $500-$1525. I said no thanks. The genius then proceeds to tell me what pristine condition my laptop is in...well thanks too bad its broken!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

All these expensive i-things with all these problems. I have five Dells in my house ranging from 7 years to 6 months old; they all work perfectly and have never had a problem. What an impressive job of advertising those Apple folks do.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    All these expensive i-things with all these problems. I have five Dells in my house ranging from 7 years to 6 months old; they all work perfectly and have never had a problem. What an impressive job of advertising those Apple folks do.

I had a dell from 2003-2010 and had the hard drive crash a few times and had to have them replaced. All due to viruses I am sure, but I thought macs couldn't get those.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I had a dell from 2003-2010 and had the hard drive crash a few times and had to have them replaced. All due to viruses I am sure, but I thought macs couldn't get those.
    Hard drives don't fail due to viruses. They fail due to impact (trauma), or they just fail, period. It can happen on any computer - Macs are not immune.

That's why you buy an external hard drive and back the important stuff up.

pokemont17 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTRider View Post
    Several months ago, my Mac display was broken. The middle portion of the screen was fuzzy so that nothing could be read. I took it in to a Mac store, and as it was under warranty they fixed it for free, no questions asked. They replaced the display.

Three or four days later, my thumb was resting on the screen as I shifted the computer. I was exerting less than half the force I would to clean the screen. Where my thumb was, a huge black spot appeared, and the entire display cracked. Diagonally across at the bottom, a second black smudge appeared. About a square half-inch in the top corner was still useable at all.

I researched the problem and was very upset by what I found: countless complaints about this happening and Mac refusing to fix it for less than $730, no matter the warranty. I also read that Mac would claim I had stuck a pencil on my keyboard and then closed the computer.

The next day, I took the computer to the Mac store. They refused to fix it for less than $730. They told me I had stuck a pencil on my keyboard, and closed the computer. I told them I had expected this, were they aware of all the complaints about this VERY issue. Mac Store Genius: "That's not true, there are not complaints." I pulled them up on a different computer. He blinked. I asked for the manager.

I told the manager my story. He called me a liar. In not a very quiet or a very friendly tone. Repeatedly, whenever I reiterated my story. My story was not possible. In particular, I told him the damage would be made worse when I moved the screen up and down (as if to close the lid). Not possible, says he. I did it. He stared. Then he offered me 20% off.

I had no choice, so after a FULL half hour of flat-out ranting, I handed over my computer. I immediately called the Apple headquarters to demand an apology for being called a liar by an employee. A LONG while later, I still did not have the correct person on the phone, but I did have an engineer. He told me, in not so many words, that what had happened was theoretically possible. The place fixing my computer could send the headquarters a picture. HQ would decide if my story was possible. This, he said, would require an "indefinite hold" on my computer, probably for at least several weeks. I never did manage to get through to make a complaint about that manager. He also implied that they would not be overturning any decisions, per Mac policy that the "Apple bar geniuses" cannot be overridden. By anyone.

I used a connection at Virginia Tech to speak to an expert there about the situation. He said that my story was entirely plausible, and that Mac has a history of this. Wanting further confirmation, I had someone put me in touch with someone in the field at MIT. Not only did Mac have a history of this, they had done the same thing to the very person I was speaking to.

So, as you consider buying your next computer, please think of this. And if anyone has any Mac stories, please do share. You, Mac store, no longer have my business.
    Thanks you for the post.

Interesting... not our experience with Apple at all!

My fiance and I are a big Apple family. Between the two of us we own a Macbook (on which I am typing at the moment), a Macbook Pro (fiance's), 2 iPhones, an iPod shuffle (that I use when I'm riding), an iPad, a Mac Mini we use as our server, and a brand new AppleTV. You know how this all started?

My fiance scrimped and saved to buy a refurbished Macbook several years ago. When it came, it had a few small issues, nothing worth taking it in for. But shortly thereafter the hard drive failed, so he sent it in. They sent it back with a replacement hard drive PLUS all the small things fixed. The new hard drive failed again (it wasn't a hard drive issue)... so they gave him a BRAND NEW Macbook. Which never had a problem, and he recently sold for what he paid for the refurbished one.

Another story-- the Macbook I use is three years old (I resist change, lol) and the case had a chip in it at one corner, by the magnet that holds the lid closed. My fiance found that this was a known issue in this year of Macbook, so took it to an Apple store, where they fixed it for free (replaced the case!), even though it was way out of warranty.

I could go on, but I won't.

For the record... I did tech support for Dell for more than two years. I would NEVER buy a Dell product... I have stories you wouldn't believe

The vast majority of people far prefer Apple's customer service over other computer brands. They are consistently awarded for superiour service. I am so sorry you had this issue, hopefully you get it cleared up quickly!
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

You did have another choice. You could have taken it to an authorized service center and gotten a second opinion and a second repair quote.

I just checked in our system here at our independently owned Apple authorized repair facility and, even if we couldn't force the warranty claim, which often we can, the repair is slightly over $500, most of which is the cost of the new display.

If you're going to have to pay for a repair, never, ever pay an Apple store to do it. Take it in person to an authorized repair facility. You'll almost certainly have it back sooner and for less money. The geniuses aren't necessarily repair technicians. They follow a script and say "sign here."

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    The geniuses aren't necessarily repair technicians. They follow a script and say "sign here."
    Not true.

Geniuses, i.e., the ones you deal with when you make a tech support appointment at the Apple store, are all trained technicians and do most of the repairs in the store, especially hard drives and casings. They, of course, are trained to diagnose problems as well.

The only repairs that are sent out to depot are typically logic board (motherboard) and display issues.

I generally don't have a problem with Apple's products, but the retail store is a nightmare.

The closest one to me is an hour away on a good traffic day, in South Charlotte. I had an issue with my ipod (computer not recognizing it, so it wouldn't charge), so I find the store info online, get directions and grab a friend and off we go.

I get there and they ask if I had an appointment. Uh, the website didn't say I needed one, though you could make one on there. I didn't because I wasn't sure when we'd get there with traffic and all. They tell me they can't look at my ipod. Uh, I drove over an hour, your side didn't say it was required...you figure it out. I had to wait FOREVER but the Apple "genius" finally looks at it and tells me it's the battery and I need a new ipod for $$$ because it's out of warranty (by a couple of weeks because I couldn't GET there before then). Finally they give me the replacement.

Same thing happens a couple of months later-the new one is still under its 90-day warranty, so I make an appointment and off I went. STILL waited forever to be seen. This time the person tries it, has the same issue and tells me that the charge was so low that it couldn't charge through the computer because it couldn't stay on long enough to communicate. A $25 wall charger and it works fine. And the first "genius" couldn't have told me that and saved me the second trip in the first place? Really? A diagnosis that simple?

Bottom line-the products are great until something goes wrong, and then they are pretty unhelpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Not true.

Geniuses, i.e., the ones you deal with when you make a tech support appointment at the Apple store, are all trained technicians and do most of the repairs in the store, especially hard drives and casings. They, of course, are trained to diagnose problems as well.

The only repairs that are sent out to depot are typically logic board (motherboard) and display issues.
    Then how come whenever I have gone to the Genius bar, the "technician" can't even run ASD? Before I worked for my current employer, they mailed my hard drive replacement out and it took a week to get it back. I should have done it myself.

There are techs in the back who do the repairs, but I have never gotten an answer from a Genius that remotely made sense, or gave any impression that the person giving it had any level of technical understanding at all.

The geniuses only pass 3 certs, and most of their training has to do with the retail store environment. They do 2 weeks of hardware/software training, and 2 months of "retail experience" training. What do you think their specialty really is? They read from a customer service script. If you want an actual technician to talk to you and diagnose your computer, you shouldn't go to an Apple store.

I married into a family of artists so Macs were new to me. We have had between our family at least 12 computers/laptops from Apple. We have had very few problems and when we did they were taken care of.
    Our girls are getting Macbooks for school this week. I would never buy anything else. But we also buy the extended warranty and have Applecare for every computer.

I have a Mac and have done some pretty serious damage to it in the past The apple store has been nothing but helpful and polite. They fix what they can at the store (when I was having a hard drive problem) and ship it out when they can't (like when I spilled water on it). I will never have anything but a mac.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

I am using a Mac (2002 edition). My husband and son have gone through probably six computers between them in that time (mostly Dells). My Mac just keeps on plugging. I love Macs.

I had one issue -the CD driver broke in 2005-2006 (it was still under warranty -got the five year extended). I went to the then new Mac store in Bethesda and it was replaced with two days.

I have Mac laptops kicking around here from the 1990s that still work.

Can they get viruses? I suppose. I have a friend who got one, or that is what she thought it was. I never have and having had a lab of mac users under me in the 1990s, none of those computers did either. It is extremely rare to get a virus on a Mac.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s