The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heard of a "husband horse" what about a "husband saddle"

I am trying to decide what would be the best saddle to get for my husband who is just starting to really ride. I will buy a used one so he doesn't have to go thru the hassle and shear pain of breaking it in, but I really don't know where to begin. I know what I like, but is that different for a man and a beginner?

Anyone bought a saddle for their husband lately?

THANK YOU
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

What style are you looking for? English, western or aussie?

My hubby prefers western, so we got him a synthetic with suede seat and fabric fenders. Grippy and not a lot of break in needed.

A client bought her hubby an Australian saddle. Holds him in place and nicely padded for the occasional rider.

Bought my husband a western saddle (he's a beginner and tried my dressage saddle several times, he really prefers the western one). We bought a Crates saddle and really like it.

Gosh I know a western saddle would make the most sense, but he wants to foxhunt with me and hahahaha I doubt we would make it much past the trailers in a western saddle!

It will have to be English and preferably leather. I like the synthetic but again, for hunting, I think it best to stay in tradition.

A western saddle or a synthetic will be a must for the tackroom though for trail rides and overnight!

Thanks for the thoughts!!!!!!
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

I bought my fiancee one of the Barefoot London saddles used. He didn't like my western saddle the one time he tried it and much preferred my all-purpose so english it was. The treeless is nice since it is a little softer and will fit a variety of horses. So far he hasn't had any stability issues and really likes it. I think the only thing harder than finding a horse for your husband/significant other is finding a saddle to fit both.

Take him to lots of tack stores and have him sit in lots of different saddles. Talk your friends into letting him sit in their saddles... the more the better.

You will see a pattern develop as to what kind of a seat he likes (English or Western). Then look for a saddle in that style that fits the horse too.

Plenty of men still foxhunt, so fortunately there's still a market for such saddles.

At least here in the US, men commonly hunt in Stubben and Berney Brothers, both of which go up to 18.5" and 19" sizes. I also see men hunting in Black Country, Castelow by Saddler's Bench, Albion, and County saddles.

When it comes to saddle shopping, the horse is usually a bigger limitation than the rider. If he's got a husband horse, I'd start with the brands that will work for the horse and then consider his options from there.

Most of the men that I know ride in Stubbens

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Most of the men that I know ride in Stubbens
    Same here
    Y'all ain't right!

If the horse happens to need a wide tree, check out the Duett models. My hubby ADORED the Companion Trail.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

For the non-English saddle, I bought a Wintec stock (Aussie) for my husband and I steal it for long trail rides or rain (or windy days on my baby that bucks!). It is very comfy and quite secure, but rides like an English saddle so he won't feel like it is as much of a switch between the two, if that makes sense. I imagine it would be pretty hard to fall out of.

I have a nice old Keiffer that my husband rode in when he was first learning. It's got a good deep seat for security, but isn't so deep that the rider gets "trapped" in it. Hubby has since graduated to a regular close contact saddle, but the Keiffer certainly did the trick initially!

Look around for a good quality, used Stubben or Passier. Nice deep seats, forward flap. The older ones have dee's for attaching a sandwich case etc.

I've currently got one, 17 1/2" seat, med/wide tree, bought for $100. Spent $200 to re-stuff panels and new billets. A good cleaning and it's wonderful!
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

For western saddles, Tucker makes a really nice comfortable saddle good for husband use.

Buy a saddle that fits the horse!

Bigger guys, and beginners especially, can really hurt a horse's back if the saddle fit isn't perfect.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB