The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone ride in the rain?

Curious if anyone here rides in the rain, out of necessity or just for fun lol. What do you wear if you do, just normal breeches and shirts or like weatherproof stuff? Also does anyone ride in muck or rubber boots if its wet and muddy out?

all the time, my horse wears a rain sheet and hi viz gear
    and i wear my muckers or riding boots, plus barbour or weatherproof jacket plus hi viz gear norm is jeans and hoody plus t shirt for me during non competive days
    as if cold i layer myself up lol

I used to, when I lived in Seattle. I half-leased a gelding from a friend, she didn't have an indoor arena (actually we didn't have an arena at all, but had a lovely flat field for schooling) so I used to go trail riding in the rain. My boyfriend at that time was in the Navy so I'd borrow his Gore-Tex coat I usually just rode in sweatpants with half-chaps. My Wintec dressage saddle was a lifesaver in some of those downpours! I had to drive almost an hour to get to the barn, and I only got a couple of chances a week to ride, so there was no way I was letting a little rain (or even a lot of rain!) slow me down.

Funny, after that I moved to the desert in eastern WA and the whole "riding in the rain" thing became a far bigger inconvenience!
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

Lol we used to ranch so yes, we rode in the rain. A day of work didn't stop just because of a little rain, hahaha. Oilskins, chaps, and cowboy hats kept (keep) us dry. I will ride (either english or western) in the rain for fun, however I am more careful when it is not out of necessity now, particularly on grass, after a bad accident a number of years ago (cutting cattle for branding in the rain, horse slipped, fell on leg).
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

When I was a kid I used to love to ride in the rain. Just put a halter and shank on the horse and off we went. Not so much as an adult--but I still love the rain!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Default Last Wed Morning I rode in the rain ~ Loved IT ~

I saddled up and rode in the rain last Wednesday morning ~ my mare loves it also ~ nice fall rain and some wind ~ nothing better ~ I figure I will be inside soon enough and for way too long ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Mr. Chief2 loves riding in the rain and the snow. No one is on the trails, so the ride is peaceful. Standard rain gear or the rain, Carhartt winter gear and insulated boots for the winter.

We ride all winter and since we're in Western WA, rain is always a possibility. Depending on the weather, I ride in either a gortex coat and jeans or oilskins (coat and chaps) and a hat. I've got a water repellent felt cowboy hat for just those days. I've also been known to ride in my Muck or Sorel rubber boots (English style) when it's truly nasty.

Not if it can be avoided.

synthetic tack is your freind... just hose the mud off and let dry...some horses prefer you remove the tack before hosing it off however

I loved riding in the rain! But since I moved to CA I don't remember the last time I rode in the rain, sad. When it rains here the BO doesn't like us to ride in the arena because it will mess up the footing. And my horse is not trail safe yet.

I just ride in my normal tack. But I have a cheap Kincade saddle.

If it's raining when it's my riding time, then I ride in the rain. I have waterproof quarter sheets for if it's COLD and raining, but otherwise I just wear a raincoat and my regular paddock boots and half chaps. I get wet, but I don't melt!

I have a theory that you can tell at rainy shows the horses who are regularly schooled in the rain vs those who aren't. I've seen many a very sullen dressage test at rainy events, from horses who are normally much happier and more expressive. My horses just figure it's par for the course, though - crazy mom, riding in the rain again!
    Proud member of the EDRF

It rains up here where I am a good 6 or 7 months a year, so yes, I ride in the rain (just got home from one in fact).
    I actually like it. It tends to keep me motivated. Get on, get a good ride in, get off. No "I feel like being lazy" walk breaks or stopping to talk or text on the phone. My gelding isn't a big fan of it though, so I have one of those quarter coolers you throw on that covers their back half (and my legs!)

There is no way in HECK my tack is allowed in the rain! HAHA ... BUT bareback in the rain is full game
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

I try to ride in the rain when I can so that my horses are ok with it in case it rains at a horse show or on a trail ride. Something about riding in the rain exhilerates me.

I usually just ride in my regular gear, and change into dry clothes when I am done.

My clients on the other hand, all prefer to stay indoors in the rain.

I used to put on a big slicker and go out in CA, but there were two problems, tires hissing on wet pavement gave her a heart attack and we got caught out in hail, had to find shelter and she was goosing up her rump and fussing pretty hard about having all these little rocks thrown at her.

Here in KY there were a couple of lessons we completed in the rain, nice and warm and not falling too hard, but I felt bad about the saddle I was using and gave it a good conditioning when we got inside.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If you horseshow long enough, you will get caught in a downpour eventually. Or if they suspend classes for a bit, when it lets up, you will be next in the ring with all of the puddles (or lakes!) Might as well practice at home.

sure and prefer it in the summer down here. It keeps the horses and us much cooler and recently when riding in it, the sun and heat came out and we wished for more rain - luckily mother nature compiled and we rode until it started thundering.

We have a healthy respect for lightning here in the lightning capital of the world...

Always Fall/winter/spring here = cold heavy rain with a chance of wind and summer = warm rain with a chance of sun. I sometimes use a neighbouring indoor, but don't usually bother if we're already too wet to care.
    I've got a kerrits coat that is 3/4 length and covers most of my leg. I wear my tall boots and helmet with that and stay fairly dry. If it's really cold and miserable I have some gore tex type breeches as well. I have a cover for my saddle and helmet and a quarter sheet for really nasty days.
    My horses don't seem to mind the rain, it's when the wind picks up that they become a little unhappy.

A friend of mine got some of these for me when she was over in Ireland--haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/