The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on my OTTB mare for possible future breeding

I am looking for opionions about my mare for possible future breeding. I think that she is great....biased maybe, however that will not work in regards to breeding.

Indie (Indie Film-show name)
    (Ms. Era -JC name)

She is a 1999 model
    Indiana bred
    ~16.1 1/2hh
    Brown/Dark Bay, no white
    25 starts-raced till May 2004
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/ms+era

I found this mare in Indiana an Indiana Downs Race Track after someone sent me an email that she was for sale. I live in Ct and after looking at the PICS I knew I had to take a drive. She raced a few days before I saw her and was sound with clean legs. I know I took a chance on not vetting her (flexion only, which she passed)...it would have cost me more to vet her than what I bought her for. I knew that she would probably hold up since she was still sound....I guessed correct.

We mostly do the Jumpers now and occasionally event (keep her brave to the natural stuff)....she is a beast XC. Her 1/2 brother ran advanced so I don't think that it is a fluke she is a good athelte. She is also so easy to work with....stall, shipping, shoeing ect. We race on the beach...hold on!! and sometimes hunterpace....a really fun mare.

What do you all think? I plan on getting her inspected into a WB registry next year and then breeding her in the spring of 2012. I am deploying with the Army Reserves 9/2011 hence the later date on breeding her.

Looking for imput on her....thanks. The link below has a bunch of PICS and some Videos.

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/z...tsyanne001516/
    Last edited by betsyanne; Sep. 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM.

I bred a nice TB mare to Coromino and got a Premium GOV filly.

Many WB stallions cross nicely with TB mares.

Go to the stallion web sites to look at how he crosses with TBs.

Really nice mare.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

I think she is lovely! What are your goals for the resulting foal?

betsyanne is offline Training Level Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I think she is lovely! What are your goals for the resulting foal?
    I want a 'user-friendly horse'. Well bred to do some lower level jumpers and maybe some eventing. I prefer smaller horses (her size 16.1-2hh)...so much easier to keep sound and to get going correctly and keep fit. She can be a fire-cracker so a little less 'caffeine' would be nice too

Indie can literally jump 3'6" stop, turn and gallop on course....if your bumm is not stuck into that saddle you are eating dirt. She is a little Ferrari.....she shaves off so much time in the J.O.....it makes me smile.

She is a lovely mare! If you do some searches on here you will find threads about smaller warmblood stallions. I bred a foal for myself this year out of my 15.2 French Deputy mare. The resulting filly is by Vancouver a 16hand son of Heartbreaker.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

What a lovely mare. She's just the sort who should have babies.

Which stallion you choose depends very much on what you want to produce. If you are leaning more towards eventing one that leaps to mind is Mill Law. He is an Advanced eventer and sire of Advanced eventers plus he has a wonderful quiet, laid back temperament and stands about 16.1hh. He is mostly TB with a splash of Arab and is fully graded. I think he would cross very well with your lovely girl.

If you are looking more for a show jumper then you would be better to consider a warmblood jumping stallion. The choice is pretty much endless for those but do check out their temperament before you use them. Some are definitely not amateur friendly!

Just had another idea. With your mare being full TB you could use Uptons Deli Circus. He is smaller, 15.1hh and proven, Advanced eventer and his offspring are doing well in competition. He is also still sound and competing age 20 and has a wonderful temperament. Here he is earlier this year.

http://www.horseandcountry.tv/episod...ns-deli-circus

Or another possibility may be Miley. Not sure if he is available in the US but he is a stallion I would use in a heartbeat on a well bred TB. He has had few foals through his life but has sired a Grand Prix dressage horse who is competitive at national level, what is really amazing about this is that the horse has been entirely trained and competed by an amateur. He has also sired two Advanced eventers with others coming through the ranks and a national champion show horse. He is smaller, 16 - 16.1 hh, sound and has a wonderful temperament. He is only graded into a minor studbook but with his record of producing superb horses out of TB mares IMO he is still worth looking at.

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=e...=Miley&x=0&y=0

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

She is beautiful. The epitome of a TB sport horse.

Have you thought about Kilkerry's All's Well? Might be Kilkenny or Kilkelly. ISH, but half TB out of a very notable mare line. Not sure about the height, though, or the disposition. He himself is tall. LAZ has a foal by him, so she could probably give you some useful information.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 6, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Beautiful mare, and you ride her so well!

She is just lovely, and the kind of mare who should be reproducing. You shouldn't have any trouble getting her in whichever warmblood registry you want. With her quality and size, you have many options for stallions, with your only problem deciding what direction you wish to go.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Very cool that her maternal sire line goes to sicambre who is shows up in a lot of warmblood lines.

Good luck on you breeding adventures (and for your deployment overseas)-looking for a husband for her will be a nice portable distraction/hobby while you are away. You can spent hours on that project as we all know! Make sure to take bloodline/stud book reading materal if you can.
    Jackie

She is a lovely mare, and has a very good pedigree. She is the type we like for broodmares, even better she has done performance. Definately get her approved!! You have alot of options as to which way to go with her but looking at her type and her lines----Jumper!!
    Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Pine Tree Farm has pointed out a number of times that Mt. Magazine was a good sire of USEF hunters/jumpers. Not sure which of the two, though.

Nice mare...

Don't know if she'll see this thread or not, but you might want to PM Fred. She breeds TBs for sport and might have some good advice to give you.

She's lovely! I'm going to encourage you to breed to a Trakehner stallion to get a really good solid citizen all rounder as Trakehners are known for their versatility. (Your mare can be inspected by the ATA so foals are eligible for papers.)

I do wish some of you would consider Knock Wood. He's proved himself in New Zealand with eventers and now a 6yo show jumping champion.

Thumbs up

She is a lovely mare, as viney said, the epitome of the Thoroughbred sport horse. And as everyone has already said, you shouldn't have any trouble getting her approved with a wb registry.

I bred to Mt Magazine his first year at stud, when he was here in Canada, owned by Aubrey Minshall, bred my beautiful Al Hattab mare to him. I sold the resulting filly at the yearling sales, and she was a little rocket, a very good race mare. He was a very handsome horse.

Good luck with her, and with your deployment.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Just a thought...why not breed her to one of the several excellent sport-type JC TB stallions in the spring of 2011? You will be there to oversee that she gets properly bred, you can still ride her until your deployment in September, and you won't have to worry about trying to get the resulting foal to a WB inspection while you are deployed (I see that the average deployment is 12-18 months, so that is the time frame I am working with.) JC registration will be a bit simpler than hauling to an inspection, and the money saved can be put toward having her foal at a good facility with marestare capabilities, so you can feel more a part of the foaling.
    Your mare is lovely, and well-bred. It would be good to see what she can produce for the TB [Olympic] sport gene pool.
    Adding my jingles and prayers for a successful deployment, and safe & sound return home!

Default just a thought or .....maybe a dream!

How old is Gemini (the Gem Twist clone)? He is home with the Chapot's now, right? That should be a great baby out of that mare!