The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hives because of beer???

So this past week I started my guy on OneAC and Guiness beer because I noticed he was not sweating like he normally does and was breathing much harder than normal. I think it started because of the combination of the heat/humidity and the fact that he was on a course of Dex because of an ongoing allergy induced cough. The cough did go away finally. So I wanted to get aggressive right away with the sweating issue to prevent him from shutting down. So a few days after I started him I noticed some hives on his neck but did not think too much of it. Then the next morning, holy cow, he was covered from head to tail in them, the little ones. So I called vet and he said take him off of the OneAC and the beer and start him on the Benadryl pills and 5 pills of Dex. Not one hive by the next morning, thank goodness. So my question is, do you think it was the hops/yeast in the beer he had a reaction to or the OneAc. I would like to hear experiences or opinions on this so I know how to proceed if the sweating does not resolve itself on its own, although he seems to be having a delayed sweat as of a few days ago.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have one that is allergic to barley...beer does not work for him. He also gets hives. The one AC does though.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Bumping. Really need more opinions please.

I have no experience with feeding beer/barley/hopps etc, but it sounds like a food allergy to me. The only way to know which one would be to take him off the steroids and try each thing individually and see which one gives him the hives.