The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default If you have six dogs do you really need to breed more?

    This kind of drives me crazy I guess, but, my SIL keeps breeding all her female dogs. At this point she has six dogs and it sort of upsets me that she is breeding yet another of her females. I wish she would see fit to adopt another dog not breed with all the animals in need What is going on with people that just keep breeding dogs like this



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgsd View Post
    This kind of drives me crazy I guess, but, my SIL keeps breeding all her female dogs. At this point she has six dogs and it sort of upsets me that she is breeding yet another of her females. I wish she would see fit to adopt another dog not breed with all the animals in need What is going on with people that just keep breeding dogs like this

    purebreds or mutts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    I think they are actually purebreds. Shebu Inus and Pugs. I just figure she could adopt a dog rather than add more dogs to her world especially when she cannot afford to fence in her yard and she had two dogs escape and fall in a pool and drown Just my random thoughts though..



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,481

    Default

    He sounds like my SIL, a few bricks short of a load..

    Well, she finally stopped breeding Dachsies when she figured out how much real work they where - she had 8 at one time, breeding each female on every heat to take to trade day...oh, and she had a few losses, too because she couldn't be bothered to keep an eye on them...
    'they got out' or the then smallish kids of hers killed them...

    Not really sure, how does yours keep them from making the newest designer breed, Inugs...or Pubas....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Kind of sad the way these things go down. Her house is falling apart and stinks of dog and cat. She gets these ideas that she is going to make all this money breeding dogs but she usually just ends up trading some tires for a puppy and keeping a couple of them. She is always buying books on panning for gold and informing me that I could be making money panning for gold in the streams near me......wacko



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,481

    Default

    Sad, really.

    I kinda like pugs, they are funny for an ugly toy breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2010
    Location
    yonder a bit, GA
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    i get frustrated from hearing people who have two not-so ideal dogs (individual or the combination thereof) and decide to breed them... for whatever reason, who knows!! Latest is a former classmate on FB. She has a Female pit, bf has some sort of Male shepherd or vice versa... they were going to breed them to other purebreds, but guess what... "the diaper slipped" ...UGHHHH.

    So here my boyfriend and i are- and many, many other people like us- housing all these foster dogs and working our butts off to:
    -get them all obedience trained and socialized
    -back and forth to the vets
    -spending almost 10 hours every saturday driving to/setting up/attending/driving home from adoption events- most of which pass without ONE adoption (yet multiple people trying to dump their dogs on us while we're there... hate that!)
    -fielding phone calls, applications, home visits, follow-ups
    -fending off animal control officers who ask us to take in more dogs
    -going through more bottles of clorox disinfectant spray than you can imagine
    -working full-time jobs that actually pay (albeit not much, LOL!)
    -and and and...

    And i read something like "the diaper slipped! OOOOPZ! YAY puppies!"

    and talk about a potentially not so fabulous combination, pit and shepherd. (pls dont jump on me by saying your pit shep was lassie incarnate- i know the combo of breeds doesnt necessarily dictate the outcome) Take a breed that can be very strong, and combine it with a potentially neurotic/MUST-have-a-job type of dog.... and then sell them to just about anyone who has $200. the two owners don't have much dog-sense of their own, their standards arent going to be high for the purchasers of said puppies.

    ****walks off stage, grumbling all the way...****

    (Sorry, just a huuuuuge vent i've been dying to have lately!!)



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Totally understand you! Huge vent as well. I don't know why people don't just spay and neuter...speay and neuter it really isn't that tricky. My SIL won't train her dogs to walk on a leash, have their claws trimmed, won't groom them, and is so obese she is physically unable to walk them at all. Many of her dogs are very obese as well. One of her dogs was so obese it couldn't chase a ball more than a couple of feet and passed away because of heart problems. Huge vent here as well



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,463

    Default

    I have neighbors - whom I like - who have a female American Bulldog pup. You know - they're huge, with heads the size of basketballs. Drool everywhere.

    They cannot WAIT until she is two so they can breed her to the husband's business partner's pit. They see money falling out of the sky from the resultant litter.

    Anyway, they are terrific dog owners in almost all other respects, so I am gently and surreptitiously trying to "educate" them on why this is a bad idea, without trying to appear judgmental.

    For starters, are they ready to deal with a high probability of Mama Dog needing a caesarian due to the giant size of the pups' heads? Do they KNOW what kind of dope-dealing wackjobs/tough guy wannabees they are going to be fielding with a mix like that advertised?

    I'm thinking about loading up the car with a bunch of bags of dog food to donate to the local humane society, then casually inviting the mom to tag along with me to drop it off. . .



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I have neighbors - whom I like - who have a female American Bulldog pup. You know - they're huge, with heads the size of basketballs. Drool everywhere.

    They cannot WAIT until she is two so they can breed her to the husband's business partner's pit. They see money falling out of the sky from the resultant litter.

    Anyway, they are terrific dog owners in almost all other respects, so I am gently and surreptitiously trying to "educate" them on why this is a bad idea, without trying to appear judgmental.

    For starters, are they ready to deal with a high probability of Mama Dog needing a caesarian due to the giant size of the pups' heads? Do they KNOW what kind of dope-dealing wackjobs/tough guy wannabees they are going to be fielding with a mix like that advertised?

    I'm thinking about loading up the car with a bunch of bags of dog food to donate to the local humane society, then casually inviting the mom to tag along with me to drop it off. . .
    I understand what you are saying. Much as I adore those kind of dogs it does seem not right to breed dogs that frequently need to be born through cesarian. Same deal with Pugs that don't breath well and sometimes need surgery just to breath properly which is what my SIL is currently trying to breed. Something just doesn't seem right with breeding an animal that is bred with problems like that.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 21, 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    I feel like there is some underlying psychological need in these "backyard breeders" to gain attention/meaning through breeding their dogs... but I'm just guessing.



Similar Threads

  1. Spinoff of designer dogs: breed discrimination
    By BuddyRoo in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Sep. 30, 2012, 04:03 PM
  2. Oh hey let's breed our dogs and sell them!
    By WarDance in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Feb. 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
  3. Replies: 79
    Last Post: Dec. 16, 2009, 08:44 PM
  4. Bloodhounds as farm dogs? Hardy enough to be outdoor dogs?
    By asb_own_me in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2009, 03:14 PM
  5. Breed Final Two: Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs vs. Great Dane
    By dressagetraks in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: Jul. 11, 2009, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •