The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddles for the extra long-femured rider

I'm not freakishly tall - about 5'9", but I am mostly leg, and I've found in the past that my legs tend to pop off the flap of most saddles.
    Right now I have an all purpose which is fine for the work I'm doing, but as I move into first level and continue to hone my position, I really need to start getting an idea of which dressage saddles to look for in the future.
    I used to have an Isabell, which I did like for the positioning of the stirrup bars - I have a back injury and a tendency to creep my legs forward, and that saddle really positioned my leg underneath my body and was a welcome relief to my back. However - I'm not married to the idea of an Isabell. I'll be looking for a used saddle, so I'm open to any recommendations.

I do not mind blocks, nor do I mind a deep seat - in fact I prefer a slightly deeper seat. However, I also don't want to feel completely locked into position and unable to move.

When the time comes, I'll be looking for a used saddle under the $1000 range. Mare is not an unusual fit though she does have TB withers on a Trak body - right now she's in a medium-wide tree and as her topline continues to build, will probably end up going to a wide.

I appreciate any recommendations.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

I don't have the answer, but if a COTHer knows the make of the saddle Edward Gal uses, THAT seems to accommodate his looong thigh quite nicely!

I have the same problem with a freakishly long femur. Even though I am only a size 1/3 pants, my jump saddle is a size 18 to accommodate my femur without it falling off the front. For my dressage saddle, I use an Amerigo Pinerolo and I absolutely love it. I was very eye opening to suddenly be able to ride dressage instead of just horse back riding with a dressage saddle, if you know what I mean.

Passier GG's have decently long flaps and there are lots of used ones for sale in your price range. I think the straighter the flap, the more problems you will have with finding room to put your leg. People with long thighs often buy saddles with seats larger than they need for their derrieres to fit in.

In the zone - that is very true. My A/P is an 18" and if I shorten my stirrups any more, my leg will be to the edge of the flap. It's okay for now because I don't have any reason to shorten my stirrups - but, dealing with the more forward stirrup bars of the A/P is still frustrating.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

I have to get custom, for exactly that reason. In order to fit the leg in an off the shelf saddle the seat size is way too big.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The saddle size should be according to your leg (femur) length. The old "hand behind the butt" saw is not useful and shouldn't be followed. If you need an 18" saddle to accommodate your leg, you need an 18" saddle.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I too have a long femur and ride in a 19 inch Trilogy Verago. The flap length doesn't matter that much if your knee is out in front of the flap with you've got the correct angle in your leg. I found that the GG stirrup bars were forward placed and exacerbated the problem.

Devoucoux Mendia with a long flap.

I ordered my Roosli to fit my extra long femur and did not need to go up in seat size.

Sometimes you can find good deals on Roosli's as they are not as "fashionable" as some other brands. I've had mine for about 9 years and it's still the most balanced dressage saddle I've ever sat in!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Default County Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Lusoluv View Post
    I don't have the answer, but if a COTHer knows the make of the saddle Edward Gal uses, THAT seems to accommodate his looong thigh quite nicely!
    http://www.countysaddlery.com/

There's a video of Gal riding his freestyle in a County Perfection.
    I'm guessing his isn't a run-of-the-mill Perfection. Most likely custom made to fit horse and rider to a tee.

The good thing about Countys: you can order all models with forward flaps.

No, I don't work for them, but I do love the brand enough to own a Dressage and AP model.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I have a long and heavy thigh, and find that a VSD flap is the Cat's Meow. Yes, you have to have an appropriate seat size, but you can only go so large before you're swimming, and the flap can still not be quite forward enough.

The Ancient Passiers with the moulded flap are ideal, as they were slightly more forward, though my Ancient Passiers both have VSD flaps. Seat is the same as in the straight dressage models. Actually, even the old model GP saddles have the same seat, and just the flap is forward. You can ride right up through the levels in those old gems.

You can get many, many dressage saddles with VSD or slightly more forward flaps if you are buying new. For used... you have to look.

Hard to find used, but if you can find any, the Passier Optimum and Corona are a bit more forward than the other models.

Supposedly a couple of the Anky models are described as having a more forward flap.

Depending on the horse's needs, Duett has a model with a dressage seat and a VSD flap, I forget the model name.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default long femur

the Pesoa Stadium accomodates a long femur......are we talking about jumping saddles too? I am too lazy to look back.

Yes, definitely avoid straight flaps, but also look at stirrup bar placement. I bought a Passier GG for the long flap and then had the stirrup bars brought back one inch. That's an option if you find a saddle you like but the stirrup bars pull your leg forward. It can be a problem with the stirrup buckles hitting under the thigh but a webber type, no buckle stirrup leather fixes that.

Rode in an Albion that worked really well, might check them out.

Elegante--where did you get stirrup bars moved?

My saddler doesn't do it and basically has said it's almost impossible.

That's an excellent point, it is very much about the stirrup bars, and the saddles I have liked all have set back bars.

I've always wanted to see one of the Anky's in person, because the flap looks good, but I don't know where the stirrup bars are on it.

I second the Trilogy Verago. I have a very long femur too, and ride in am 18" Trilogy Verago. It's the first thing in ages that lets my leg hang down in the perfect position.
    Daxia Digital: for all your social media and online marketing needs
    www.daxiadigital.com

When the time comes, I'll be looking for a used saddle under the $1000 range.
    Some of the suggestions may well work, but are they really in the OP's range?

If they are used, yes. New, no.

The bad economy has forced a lot of people to sell their saddles for less than "book value."

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Some of the suggestions may well work, but are they really in the OP's range?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    The saddle size should be according to your leg (femur) length. The old "hand behind the butt" saw is not useful and shouldn't be followed. If you need an 18" saddle to accommodate your leg, you need an 18" saddle.

Erm - no. I use a 17" seat.

Laser Equestrian have a handy dandy two position stirrup bar.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The best for long femurs: von Neindorf (or cheaper version wintec). And for exercises: some two point to make sure that hip is opened and the weight 'feathered' into the heels.
    I.D.E.A. yoda