The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's wrong with my Western?? Help!

I am having a terrible time trying to find a western saddle to fit my mare. She is an Appendix but built much more like a QH. This is my first western saddle, so I'm a bit of a newbie at this.

My english saddle is a Wintec A/P Wide and I currently have the white gullet in.

She has very long, low withers with quite wide shoulders that seem set a tad farther back than normal and is quite sprung in the ribs.

The western I have now is a Wintec trail saddle with full QH bars. The problem I'm having is that the saddle slips to the side, even with the cinch nice and snug. Like, REALLY slips. I just bought a breastcollar and have tried a split pad with no success.

I'm tyring to figure out if the saddle is too wide or narrow. I can't fathom a semi-QH bar fitting her but maybe? I've heard a back cinch may help but i don't want to just mask the problem if it isnt fitting her properly.

Any suggestions?
    Member of: \"Short,Stubby Leg Clique\" \"Riders of Rohan\" \"Riders with Broken Tailbones Clique\" \"Canadian Clique\"
    http://community.webshots.com/user/bugaboo222
    **New pics added Nov. 24/07**

pics are worth a million words

Can you post pictures of the mare, and the saddle on the mare?

FWIW - I switched to treeless with my propane barrel, bulldog Appendix horse. I'd finally resigned myself to the fact that I was never going to find a treed saddle to fit the beast. I'm sure they're out there but I was sick of wasting my time and money trying dozens of saddles just to end up with a pissed off horse anyway. She now goes treeless and she is SO MUCH happier and more compliant.

I'd see if I could borrow other stock saddles, especially older leather ones, with full QH bars to check their fit--"semi" and "full" QH bars vary pretty widely between makers. I, personally, have not been impressed with how well wintecs fit and--IIRC--they tend to be narrow.

You might also be looking for the type of saddle referred to as having an Arabian tree. It seems to be geared more for horses with widely-sprung ribs rather than the more blocky or rectangular profile of QHs.
    ---------------------------

I got beat to suggesting the Arab-treed type saddle. Out of all the treed Western saddles I tried on my (draft, very wide) horse, those were what fit him the best. (specifically an older Simco Arab saddle [not the newer one I tried which didn't] that fits him like a glove. Unfortunately, I don't own it, ROFL)

Said Simco Arab saddle is what a friend of mine rides her draft cross (he's probably QH/Belgian and very chunky. Back shaped pretty much like my guy, though he appears larger) in.

Basically, the angle of the bars (and I think it flares differently too) on the Arab tree is different from that you'd find in any "typical" Western tree (QH bars, etc).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I've found that the wintec type saddles really don't give you the support that your get with a regular full leather saddle. That combined with trying to get a saddle not to roll on a beer barrel, you have a have a tougher combination to fit. Try a good leather saddle like Circle Y, and ride for an hour. I'd be surprised if you didn't find it fits better than a lightweight saddle ever will.

My mare was too wide for the white gullet in the Wintec saddles, but she fits in her little Abetta western saddle perfectly. I do use a non slip pad, but with a horse with zero withers, I've been told by saddlers that even if the saddle fits, you can have some side to side slippage issues.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Try a Wade tree with good flair at the front and back. The Crates equi-fit trees are also good for horses that are wide-sprung with big shoulders. One of our geldings was almost impossible to fit and we found that a good Wade tree (and round skirt) works on him, as does the Crates wide trail tree.

My big paint/QH gelding is built much like an appendix (and sounds like yours) and the Crates regular equifit trail tree works for him. Plus the saddle is pretty light for a leather one (26 lbs).

Thanks for all the tips! I will have to check into the arab tree. I`m on a tight budget for now, so my options are a bit limited. I`ve heard good things about the Abettas but no one seems to carry them in Calgary, where I live. If I order one in, I`m commited to buying it whether it fits or not.

How do the Wades and Crates compare in price (Sorry, my question mark button doesn`t want to work today)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...&ref=fbx_album

Here is a pic of my mare.....haven`t been able to get a pic of the saddle on her as it has been raining like crazy and there is no barn where I board her.
    Last edited by Bugaboo; Sep. 8, 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added picture of my mare
    Member of: \"Short,Stubby Leg Clique\" \"Riders of Rohan\" \"Riders with Broken Tailbones Clique\" \"Canadian Clique\"

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    My mare was too wide for the white gullet in the Wintec saddles, but she fits in her little Abetta western saddle perfectly. I do use a non slip pad, but with a horse with zero withers, I've been told by saddlers that even if the saddle fits, you can have some side to side slippage issues.
    My mare used to fit the purple gullets for years but her muscles changed a bit last year and the white one seems to work best for now. She is so uber-wide.

I've never seen a Wintec western saddle in person, but I'm going to bet the tree doesn't have enough flair at the front of the bars for those big shoulders. That would cause the saddle to sit perched or slide back and then potentially roll.

I think the gaited suggestions above may work, and I would still recommend finding a Crates trail or reining saddle to try on her as well. The Crates trees have a nice flair at the front and were the only thing we could find to work on my last gelding - he was built a lot like your girl. You can usually find them used, in good shape, for $500-$900.

I second a treeless. My 16yr old QH mare is built like a bulldog. Ive had her since she was a 3 yr old and always had saddle fit problems. I never thought I'd go treeless because I was under the impression that they slipped sideways and I wanted stability. Thats not the case at all. Its very stable, does NOT slip and my mare is so much happier.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I've had good sucess with the original Billy Cook saddles, especially the new training saddle that I bought 4 years ago. It fit two of my bulldog style QH's very well.

However, because they are both so barrel shaped, I do have to use a breast collar and rear cinch for safety.

Here is a halfway decent site to help with western saddle fitting, and it has information on sizes and trees.

http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/...the-horse.html
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHennery View Post
    I've never seen a Wintec western saddle in person, but I'm going to bet the tree doesn't have enough flair at the front of the bars for those big shoulders. That would cause the saddle to sit perched or slide back and then potentially roll.
    I thinks that's exactly the problem. The saddle does slip back quite easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I have lots of options to try.

It does seem hard to find a nice variety of western saddles in stock at local tack shops that I can try out. Most shops can order them, but then I'm committed to buying the saddle. All of my riding friends ride either english or in Aussies, so no one has any westerns I can borrow.