The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Confessions for the non-PC

Ok, I'll confess... There are some things in life that are just not so PC.. but must be done anyaway..

Case in point - less then 1 mile from my house a horse was euthanized due to EEE. State came in and sprayed up/down all the streets in the area. Chemicals in this case a nessary evil ... Sadly it also kills off the preditor 'good' creatures.

This has left us with a bumper crop of barn flies. All the sticky traps and every other 'natural/earth friendly' were no match... I finally had to cave and use chemicals. Golden Malrin to be exact (why it's blue.. I don't know) Bottom line.
    A week of use and the flies are gone...none -nada. Yes, I'm feeling guilt for my very hungry barn spider... but I did find her a moth for dinner last nght.

Hopefully the natural balance of life has returned.

Anyone else care to confess to the non-PC?

I don't know if it counts but I believe in being as politically INcorrect as conceivably possible. I'm so up to here(see me pointing to the top of my head) with the PCness of the world so I work just as hard to be non-PC. It's actually very easy.

BTW, Golden Malrin used to be a golden yellow color but I haven't used it in probably 30-40 yrs. Can't remember when actually...
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Now we are afraid to say anything because no matter what you say, someone will attack you as a person, instead of debating the idea. And usually state that you are an insane sub-human and should die. So we ignore the elephants in the room.

I remember when Golden Malrin was actually golden....
    (I must be old.. really old.. 'sighhh' )

Being PC is for the overly-emotional fakakta people who have nothing better to do in thier self absorbed little lives than to try to make an issue or cause out of anything...so they can whine ad nauseum about it. But only if they have an audience for their whining...after all it is ALL ABOUT THEM and showing off their imagined halos.

And yep, I already know saying that wasn't very PC.

So bite me.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Being PC is for the overly-emotional fakakta people who have nothing better to do in thier self absorbed little lives than to try to make an issue or cause out of anything...so they can whine ad nauseum about it. But only if they have an audience for their whining...after all it is ALL ABOUT THEM and showing off their imagined halos.

And yep, I already know saying that wasn't very PC.

So bite me.
    I knew we could count on you to put this topic in perspective for the rest of us.

Smile

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Ok, I'll confess... There are some things in life that are just not so PC.. but must be done anyaway..

Case in point - less then 1 mile from my house a horse was euthanized due to EEE. State came in and sprayed up/down all the streets in the area. Chemicals in this case a nessary evil ... Sadly it also kills off the preditor 'good' creatures.

This has left us with a bumper crop of barn flies. All the sticky traps and every other 'natural/earth friendly' were no match... I finally had to cave and use chemicals. Golden Malrin to be exact (why it's blue.. I don't know) Bottom line.
    A week of use and the flies are gone...none -nada. Yes, I'm feeling guilt for my very hungry barn spider... but I did find her a moth for dinner last nght.

Hopefully the natural balance of life has returned.

Anyone else care to confess to the non-PC?
    *That's* your confessed transgression? And you brought the spider a moth, all room service style?

It's interesting to see that non-PC means "hurting the environment." The term used to mean talking smack/doing bad to people.

Which leads to a non-PC rant. I think it's *really* crappy that WASPs have now decided that saving the environment is more important than saving people. How convenient.

E. g. "No, you environment-trashing, extinction-causing, clear-cutting farmers in the southern hemisphere can't do that in order to make a buck in the global economy that doesn't offer you much opportunity to catch up with the nations in the northern hemisphere. You can't because we up here already screwed up the environment by mining and burning the coal and oil we had within our borders (and then colonized to get some more). Sure, you're doing just what we did 200 years ago. So sorry that your citizens will stay trapped in poverty (that benefits us) but how can we allow you to continue! Shame on you for wanting to use the natural resources you have as they benefit you in a global economy! We must ban together as a species and save the planet!"

I walk the non-PC walk: I drive a big ol' stinkin' diesel truck.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    *That's* your confessed transgression? And you brought the spider a moth, all room service style?

It's interesting to see that non-PC means "hurting the environment." The term used to mean talking smack/doing bad to people.

Which leads to a non-PC rant. I think it's *really* crappy that WASPs have now decided that saving the environment is more important than saving people. How convenient.

E. g. "No, you environment-trashing, extinction-causing, clear-cutting farmers in the southern hemisphere can't do that in order to make a buck in the global economy that doesn't offer you much opportunity to catch up with the nations in the northern hemisphere. You can't because we up here already screwed up the environment by mining and burning the coal and oil we had within our borders (and then colonized to get some more). Sure, you're doing just what we did 200 years ago. So sorry that your citizens will stay trapped in poverty (that benefits us) but how can we allow you to continue! Shame on you for wanting to use the natural resources you have as they benefit you in a global economy! We must ban together as a species and save the planet!"

That is some of it not quite true, just glib talk by those non-profit organizations that are after donations to the cause of the moment, at times using those words for propaganda.

Here is a little bit more how the world works today, the real facts:

http://www.economist.com/node/168864...86442&fsrc=rss

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by mvp;5080137?

I'd say you might have an exhaust leak...

Considering the toxicity of other OT threads this weeking, feeding Charlotte is all you're going to get from me.

I know no one here cares, but I'm not sure where the idea came from that being concerned about the environment means not caring about people. Half the worry about things like clear-cutting the rainforest is that the topsoil washes away in a few seasons, leaving the farmers with nothing. A very large amount of things that harm the environment end up enormously hurting the people who live in that environment. When people say "sustainable" they mean "sustainable for the people" in addition to the nature.

Which isn't to say don't ever spray for bugs. The only reason I have not tried to poison every mosquito in a mile radius with the nastiest chemicals possible is they aren't on my land and I don't think my neighbors want to be fumigated!

We had mosquitoes so bad you couldn't even step outside without being swarmed. Our chickens were in a cloud of them and we had two deaths. We had done everything to help but finally sprayed a chemical that hooks to the hose. We only sprayed around the perimeter of our yard where there is no water. And they all disappear until it rains really hard. I felt bad but I also felt like we could be in danger of other diseases.

As far as PC goes, I don't really understand what everyone is talking about. I don't understand what PC really is. I can't stand for HR types to tell me that "we don't say that word any more". But as far as saying things that are racially or gender offensive I would say I am pretty PC. But it is because I really don't want to offend people and I think language is a powerful indicator of who you really are inside. I also feel that other people should not be expected to be this way or feel forced. I can't stand it when a famous person makes a comment that they clearly meant to be harmless and it is blown all up. I mean really. But the bottom line is this. Anyone should be able to say whatever they want, and feel whatever they want. But that means everyone, including the people who may be telling you what an asshole you are for saying it. That is called freedom of expression and I LOVE IT!
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

I flat out refuse to be PC.
    If I am telling the 'truth' as I see it and someone gets 'offended' oh well it is time for them to grow up or a thicker skin.
    I refuse for example to use to word 'issue' for problem. Issues to me come in some sort of binding and usually have editions with them.
    Think about it for a moment if we were to truly be 'pc' we would not have a mailman put our mail in the mail box. We would have a personperson put the person in the person box.
    One day this to shall come to an end. I will throw a party when it does.. Until then I will continue to use to correct words for the correct item or meaning. And if it wlks like a Duck, quacks like a duck etc I will call it a duck not a water capapable biped that is vertically challanged feather endowed, vocally challanged what ever...

But to me what is really scary about PC is where/when it originated..
    look it up one day and it will be another reason to buck PC at every oppertunity...
    Friend of bar .ka

I refuse to quit saying "retarded." I would not use it to describe someone who is mentally deficient, but love it to describe behavior, clothing, my mistakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxchick View Post
    I refuse to quit saying "retarded." I would not use it to describe someone who is mentally deficient, but love it to describe behavior, clothing, my mistakes, etc.
    I disagree that using some words is ok, pc or not.
    To use the "n" word, "retarded" and some others denigrating other people by some characteristics is past not being pc and into being rude.

There seems to be a distinction there.
    English is not my first language by far, so I am winging it with what is correct or acceptable.
    I don't know where the line is, but for me, "if in doubt, don't", works fine.

but they call themselves the "N" word. What is up with that? In fact one of my son's friend's who is black uses it frequently and his friend's almost always greet him with "Wht's up my "N". So I guess they only find that word offensive when white people call them that? Or, is it how it is said and meant?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I disagree that using some words is ok, pc or not.
    To use the "n" word, "retarded" and some others denigrating other people by some characteristics is past not being pc and into being rude.

There seems to be a distinction there.
    English is not my first language by far, so I am winging it with what is correct or acceptable.
    I don't know where the line is, but for me, "if in doubt, don't", works fine.
    IIRC, a few things combined in one historical moment to create the term Politically Correct in the late 1980s/early 1990s(?) Not all of those things were bad.

Politically Correct as opposed to "Universally Right" or "Moral" came from some pretty decent social movements. Starting with Civil Rights, it really (finally!) wasn't ok to diss someone based on race. Follow that with the feminist movement and then gay rights using similar logic.

But then add in the more expansive (and logical next step) toward cultural relativism among intellectuals. If Aristotle worried about "The Good"-- in caps, true for all people in all times and places-- it became intellectually impossible to continue that way *without* acknowledging that a particular social group-- Western Europeans and WASPs controlled the interpretation of dudes like Aristotle. And the historical record shows that they didn't create a terribly smart or just world which was the point of reading Dead White Men.

More locally and at the same time, throw in the Cold War, the anti-intellectualism of the Regan/Bush era and the naive assumption that "might makes right." The US in particular continued to get really rich, but helped create the distinct possibility that one nation alone could blow up the planet several times over with nuclear weapons. You can see why critics might want otherwise.

What people seem to hate is perspectivalism. It's messy. It means having to get along with people who don't share your agenda, values or experience. But the point is that alternative world views always existed. We just weren't forced to pay attention.

So it's not about freedom of expression at bottom or even controlling thought. You can still think of black people as racially inferior, gays as perverts, poor people as stupid and lazy. You can even say so. But you can't use your perspective as white, straight and middle class to argue that you are right in your judgement.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by MajfrmNY View Post
    but they call themselves the "N" word. What is up with that? In fact one of my son's friend's who is black uses it frequently and his friend's almost always greet him with "Wht's up my "N". So I guess they only find that word offensive when white people call them that? Or, is it how it is said and meant?
    Wasn't it Jesse Jackson that used that word describing Obama about something not too long ago? I don't remember what it was anymore because I could care less.

Besides, black people used to be referred to as "colored", then "black", now "African-American". What next?

I sure as h.e.l.l. don't call myself a German-English-Welsh American. I'm just a plain old American and so are they. So why put on 'airs"?

For those thinking I'm prejudiced, I've worked with several and found them all to be great co-workers.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

MVP, not to disagree with you and perhaps you are saying when it began in the US. But last I googled it and yeh it has been a while and 1 computer ago( so perhaps 5 yrs) I found that the term and actions of PC came into play during either Lennen( or is it Lennon) Marx era of the now former USSR. The premis of which began with start by making certian words unacceptable, then make actions unacceptable, and so on so forth.. Until well we know what occured in Russia/ USSR for what 80ish yrs...
    I found it a bit unnerving to read of its original origins...
    Friend of bar .ka