The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Hunt Coat...Suggestions?

Hey everyone! I'm a in need of a new hunt coat for the formal season...any suggestions? Before, I was able to just wear my trainer's hunt coat for formal season (but I have grown out of it) and polo's and ratcatchers for informal season.
    Thanks!

Well, most people will tell you to go with a traditional wool Melton and depending on the hunt they may prefer it too. I prefer the new Equine Athletic coats. They look great, they can be used in other disciplines and they stretch which is must for me comfort-wise. Also, they are a great price and look far nicer than you'd think considering that. I have 3 so far; black, navy and a gorgeous tweed.

I would think about the conditions you will most likely be hunting in. If it's going to be mild and your hunt cancels with any precip, then the EA coat might be ok. I have one for showing and cub hunting, but it won't cut it for those 30 degree days or if it happens to start raining or worse while we're out. A melton is designed for those conditions.

I also like a true hunt coat: for the length of the skirt, weight of the fabric, number and size of pockets (need to be able to fit the flask in), and a working storm collar. It is a coat that was designed for its job.

My newer frock only has one pocket and it is a continual source of frustration. Whatever you get, get it taylored. Nothing worse than a baggy coat.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxchick View Post
    My newer frock only has one pocket and it is a continual source of frustration. Whatever you get, get it taylored. Nothing worse than a baggy coat.
    Ha! I love a baggy coat,easier to put four layers of longjohns under everything and still be able to bend my arms!

i'm over in indianapolis. I cannot remember the brand that I have, but I called middleburg tack in virginia a couple years ago. They had a decently made new wool melton for about $200. it is what they would consider their "mid weight" and middleburg was having them made. I love mine, it's perfect. even on the new years day hunt when it was 8degrees, I was fine with it, vest, turtle neck..I wore it all season last year. So just call middleburg.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!