The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Abandonded kitteh....

So the night before last DD sent me a text and a photo about a tiny, wee kitteh at the barn. The barn has a number of typical barn cats...wild,frightened beasts that run when you open the barn door.

I was really hoping one of those cats would prove to be the mother.

Yesterday afternoon, I met DD at the barn and Tiny Baby Kitteh (TBK), was desperately trying to crunch dry cat food without a lot of success. She was desperately hungry. No mamma lurking around, left her in the aisle while we worked horses in the attached indoor so we could see if a mother appeared. Kitteh tried to toddle after us.

She came home. I just could not leave this tiny infant there alone a second night. We picked up kitten milk replacer, dry kitten food and a bit of canned food for her. She is pitifully thin. What she really needs is proper mother cat but that seems unavailable, tho my Corgi bitch is doing a wonderful job of keeping her tucked up into her belly and washing the kitten up.

So...she's eating pretty well, I boil water, pour it over the dry cat food and let it soften. Then I add a small spoon of canned food for flavor and 2 tsp of kitten milk replacer. I think it might be too much food and/or too rich for her as her stools have become loose today. Of course she could also be ill, but I'm guessing it's the food as about 5:30am she had a solid bm. We are going to do just the dry softened with water for a few days and see if that helps, then on Tue we are calling the vet for a checkup. I'm going to stop offering food so often, and only offer it about every 6 hours.

you can see pix of her here, her name is Puzzle....

am I missing anything? Is there anything I can do better?

OMG how cute! Good luck with her.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

She is a cutie! Her eyes look a little goopy ... it's certainly possible she has some crud. It's sure not hard for them to get stuff when they're out in the wild.

She looks pretty young; if you can keep fresh food in front of her, that's probably good. I'm glad you're getting her to the vet ASAP. That'll help a lot.

The only abandoned kitty I have experience with was about 6 months old when she found us, so I don't know what to tell you about such a tiny baby.

Good luck!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

her little face was dirty, but it's better now and once she had it wiped/cleaned off she didn't produce any goop. But her eyes are still blue/gray so she can't be much older than 4 weeks or so I'd think!

I'd try offering her plain KMR (diluted according to directions if it's a concentrate) in a saucer and see how that goes. Her tiny stomach might not be able to digest solid food yet. If you want to offer solids, soak the dry kitten food in the KMR and offer just that--no canned, which is very rich. I know you said she had a solid BM, but keeping the food simple at this time is a good idea just in case.

That is so adorable about your Corgi mothering her!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I had a vet tell me to use Stage 1 meat human baby food for kittens her age. He finds it is less likely to give them soft poo. He finds that the kitten milk replacer frequently does make things too soft.
    I have used the baby food for two litters of kittens and a couple or Really Senior cats too. Worked well for me.

Aw, what a cute baby! Good luck with her!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I would not be too worried just yet about the poop. It happens when the food changes, and I can assume that from no food to a full belly, that's a change!

I second the KIS method. No need to overload the little tummy. I would guess by Tuesday she'll be fine.
    And while she could use a momma cat to teach her cat stuff, Momma Corgi will take care of the necessary things, like a clean bum and washed face. (gotta loe them)

She is adorable, I'd guess her to be around 5-6 weeks...depending on how sturdy her walk is.

Congratulations,you have a cat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    am I missing anything? Is there anything I can do better?
    I would just make sure not to overfeed, better to give smaller amounts more frequently.

Several years ago we found a little baby kitten abandoned outside. His eyes were still closed and didn't in fact, open for another two weeks so he must have been no more than 2 or 3 days old when we found him.

This is Bear at about 5 weeks. Still on a bottle. We bottle fed him probably longer than he needed, but he was just so cute and he loved his bottle.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mswillie...49212001499714

This is Bear all grown up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mswillie...49211479207298

Kitteh was most fortunate to find you.

Thank you for taking in this baby. Congrats on your new kitteh.

Awww...ta bebe kitteh!

Bear is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    I'd try offering her plain KMR (diluted according to directions if it's a concentrate) in a saucer and see how that goes. Her tiny stomach might not be able to digest solid food yet. If you want to offer solids, soak the dry kitten food in the KMR and offer just that--no canned, which is very rich. I know you said she had a solid BM, but keeping the food simple at this time is a good idea just in case.

That is so adorable about your Corgi mothering her!

Kim
    TH has awesome advice for you! KMR is the bomb for Itty Bitty Kittehs. Very nutritious and digestible too - and on the package they recommend it for seniors or cats under the weather. Our next door neighbour brought us two IBKs in her pockets (maybe 12 days old), and we bottle fed them KMR for a month (dry reconstituted with warm water), and then they transitioned pretty quickly to kitten chow in warm KMR, and then over a few days to just the dry kc.
    Blessings upon you for saving this baby...and on Caturday too! (if anyone is unfamiliar, go to http://icanhascheezburger.com/tag/caturday/
    You rock!
    eta - just reread your OP....if these suggestions work, I'd perhaps offer her smaller amounts more often; 6 hours might be an awful long time between noms.
    D>
    Last edited by DeeThbd; Sep. 5, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

That is one cute baby. She'd have been home with me the first night
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I'm so glad you took the tiny baby kitteh in your house. She looks like she is about four weeks old, and if she was trying to eat dry food, she is ready for wet. I do a lot of kitten fostering and bottle babies, and when the kittens are about four weeks, I start offering them a good quality wet food with KMR mixed into it. They usually take right to it. Kittens need to be fed often, and small amounts. I used to mix KMR into dry food but I don't do that anymore, as I'm not especially fond of dry food for very young kittens, although I usually have some down for them, but left dry. If you can, get some wormer from your vet or a rescue; she should be wormed with pyrantel. If you were in my area I would take her for you, as I have an assortment of orphans now who look like they are about her age. And don't worry about the diarrhea for now; she is changing diet...eating, in her case...so it will happen. If it continues though, she should be checked for parasites. Be sure you give her clay litter and not clumping until she is a month or so older.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

What a precious baby! She is adorable. Thank you for taking her home. Your Corgi, playing momma, is so sweet. Baby kitty surely landed in a great place with you!

I went to 6 hours for feeding because she was not eating well if I tried closer. She would lick/eat a few bites and then nothing.

That said, she will not take a rubber nipple (and that might be because Frolic has allowed her to nurse....no milk tho....the last puppy is 4.75 years old). She is very inefficient at lapping, must be learned or developed behavior. About 6 am, I tried a large needless syringe and she did manage to lick/lap that. I am going to try that again this morning.

She worried me since she does not eat much.

I went to 6 hours for feeding because she was not eating well if I tried closer. She would lick/eat a few bites and then nothing.

That said, she will not take a rubber nipple (and that might be because Frolic has allowed her to nurse....no milk tho....the last puppy is 4.75 years old). She is very inefficient at lapping, must be learned or developed behavior. About 6 am, I tried a large needless syringe and she did manage to lick/lap that. I am going to try that again this morning.

She worried me since she does not eat much.
    Sometimes the hardest babies to work with are the ones who lose their moms right about four weeks. They won't take a nipple but they also don't know how to lap and they don't get enough to eat. According to my vet, the number 1 cause for young kitten death is dehydration, so I no longer hesitate to give kittens sub-q fluids, and that does an amazing job of giving them a bounce back. It is easy to do, or just take her to a vet and have it done. Syringing in something like baby food mixed with KMR every two hours will help a lot. I wouldn't give her dry food; use top quality kitten wet food mixed with KMR and see if she will eat that. Sometimes they swim in it when they are learning to eat, so just bath her afterwards and use a hair dryer. Give her a small, warm place to sleep, and I always use a heating pad in case they want it, and they always do. Good luck; it is worth all the work in the end.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

she's vigorous, she squalls and bawls about eating, she's mad frequently.

I finally went to the syringe because I can control the flow (don't want to cause aspiration pneumonia) and I can see how much she started with and about how much she might have eaten. We generally start with 10cc, there is usually 4 left when she's ready to go to sleep and I figure at least 1cc has dribbled down her chin onto the towel on my lap.

She sleeps on us or on Frolic usually. I put a heating pad under a folded towel in a laundry basket so she can move off it if we aren't holding her. She *always* prefers to sleep with her head covered, burrowed into a towel or a sleeve or a belly.

She also still does that normal baby rooting-with-her-head-trying-to-find-a-nipple thing normal babies do.

Clint said: Syringing in something like baby food mixed with KMR every two hours will help a lot.

do you mean human baby food or kitten baby food?

Clint said: Syringing in something like baby food mixed with KMR every two hours will help a lot.

do you mean human baby food or kitten baby food?
    Human baby food. It will work in the short term to get some calories and food into her. I prefer A/D and always have a can around for emergencies, but you have to get it from a vet office, and human baby food will work. The rest of the food usually has chunks in it, and it clogs the syringe.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. The only thing I would change is the frequency; six hours is a long time for a stressed baby to go without eating. My four and five week olds are eating every five hours, and the four week baby gets a bottle offered in the middle of that stretch. Fortunately she will nurse, and she still isn't gaining quite the way she should.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses