The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default weight loss tips

Help ! Due to a recent 15-20 lb weight gain I no longer fit into my clothes and don't have the resources to purchase another wardrobe. Work clothes not as important as good wool hunting coat, fav breeches etc. Anyone have any good quick means of dropping a few pounds without too much pain ? Pls share your success secrets, thanks in advance !

Low carbs and lots of protein and exercise works for me.

HOWEVER if, after you lose the weight, you go back to your old habits you will also go back to your old (max) weight.

As far as my diet, lots of chicken, eggs and fish and "stems and leaves, no fruit roots or seeds"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Carolprudm

What are fruit roots?
    Define seeds.

Cut out the sugar.

Weight loss is a remarkably simple equation (save thyroid conditions etc). You must burn more calories than you consume.

I know that if I want to eat as well as I like to do, and drink wine/cocktails, etc, I have to work out in some way to make up for it. I'm lucky that my job is a pretty physical one and that helps. But I still have to do other things like walk or hike. There's no magic bullet and it's really remarkably simple. After all if you had a horse that was overweight, what would you do? You would work him more and reduce his grain &/or hay intake

I lost about 45lbs by going from working part-time to full time & completely ditching soda (I don't even have it in the house). Completely eliminating sugar didn't work for me and I don't think it's very a realistic way to be successful. You end up depriving yourself and then the cravings come back with a vengeace, IMO. Replacing some of your sugar intake with 'good' sugars (i.e., fruit instead of cookies) is probably a better middle ground.

I'm in the same boat but with more to lose after "stall rest" from illness and a low functioning thyroid.

Last Friday, I bought myself a used NordicTrack for $20 off CL. I use it almost every morning and some afternoons, too. I'm still sweaty from my last 30 minutes.

I lost a pound, which is pretty darn good considering the rotten shape I'm in

My neighbor has been using You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises for Men and Women and has seen a noticeable difference in the last 2 weeks. I'm ordering it on payday!

Food-wise, I track everything on The Daily Plate. Protein for breakfast, the majority of my calories at lunch and a light dinner. I rarely eat processed food, haven't had a soda since 2005, avoid fast food whenever possible and cook with whole foods.

I hope I have good news to report by the next OT day
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Sorry there probably should have been a comma in there
    Fruits are, well, fruits, melons, oranges, etc. Botanically tomatoes and peppers are also fruits but the USDA and I consider them to be vegetables.

Roots are something that grows underground. Onions, carrots and potatoes. They store food in the form of carbs to fuel next season's growth. And my fat.

Seeds are nuts and grain, mostly in the form of bread and pasta. Seeds also store plant fuel in order to give the seedling a head start. I don't need it on my belly.

I am insulin resistant and this works for me. There are other methods to lose weight which may be appropriate for other people.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

multiverse Guest

PGX changed my life, literally. And no I'm not affiliated with the company lol.

After struggling with extra weight after my last 2 kids and just bouncing around in about a 6 lb range for the last 5 yrs, I tried this PGX after seeing someone post about it on another horse board.

Well I've lost 22 lbs since June and truly it's been pretty much effortless. I'm going for another 20. Sugar and carb cravings gone and for the first time in many many years I feel like a "normal" person. i.e. I don't overeat, I take small portions and I know when I'm full. And I don't fantasize all day about when I can next reward myself with another sugary goodie.

There's lots of science behind it, I did a lot of research before trying it. And I only take 3 pills per day as opposed to the recommended 6-9, just have never needed more than one before each meal.

It's worth checking out if you are really struggling: www.pgx.com

Replace the soda you drink with water or milk, have a lean protein with every meal, and instead of rices and noodles made with bleached flours, go for whole grains or vegetables as your sides. Instead of having fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast (1 egg has 70 calories and tons of cholesterol), I started having hard boiled egg whites (1 egg white has 17 calories, no fat, and no cholesterol) - which I absolutely love, so it was an easy switch.

Most nutritionists recommend that you have a healthy snack between meals, or have six small meals a day. Eating every few hours keeps your metabolism running, and it keeps you from overeating at meal times.

These are the tips that have helped me the most in my recent weight loss. Sure, I've also been hitting the gym frequently, but that's only a tiny part of the equation. Controlling diet is the biggest part.

Good luck!

Read ingredient labels, and the shortest one wins! Example: oatmeal that comes in the round can, and has one ingredient "oats" is a better breakfast food than a cereal with a long list of ingredients. 1/3 cup oats, plus milk to cover oats, and then microwave for two minutes will give you a meal with protein and calcium. Oranges are better than orange juice, try to do without soda. Eat lots of lean protein, or better yet, more plant based protein. Sugar and bleached flour are empty calories. Nuts are good as a snack, as are mini carrots and other fresh veggies. Experiment. A can of black eyed peas, a bit of mustard, vinegar and olive oil plus diced tomatoes and red peppers makes a filling main meal salad. Fish is good if not fried. Put away your large dinner plates, and find some smaller ones. We eat too much, and we eat the wrong stuff. Good luck!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I recently lost 20lbs. I only eat whole wheat breads/pastas now and I eat two eggs for breakfast (fresh not store bought). For lunch I'll have egg salad on half of a whole wheat bagel and a normal supper. I am NOT hungry anymore. I used to be a continuous snacker. I don't snack at all anymore. The eggs and whole wheat fill me up.
    M

Drink 8-16 oz of water before sitting down to each meal.

If you bite it write it. Keep a food diary--regardless of if you calculate the calories/points/fat grams it will open your eyes as to what your are REALLY eating everyday.

Don't eat out. Most restaurant portions are at least twice the recommended serving size. Don't eat fast foods.

Use a smaller plates. Most dinner plates are 10"-12". If you use the smaller "salad" or "breakfast" plate they are about 8" and it will look like more food.

When you fill your plate with food fill half of it with things that are green.

When you eat a green salad have it without the salad dressing already on it. Instead get the dressing on the side in a small cup then dip your folk in it before you get a bite of salad on your folk. You'll eat about half the amount of dressing that way but still get the flavor.

Don't eat any salad that already has the word "salad" in its name such as tuna salad, pasta salad, etc.

Eat breakfast every day. Studies show that most weight appropriate people eat breakfast everyday.

The WSJ did a study several years ago examining the habits of people with healthy BMIs. The majority step on the scales EVERY day. They are more familiar with normal weight fluctuations and do a better job of not letting extra pounds creep on.

Eat slowly. It takes 20 minutes for the nerves in your stomach to send the word to your brain that its full making it easier to over eat inside the 20 minute time frame.

The occasional restaurant meal can be ok if you get a to-go container at the start of the meal. Put half of the food in the container and you have lunch for the next day. Restaurant portions are so big you won't feel starved. I usually add more veggies to everything, and sometimes a restaurant meal turns into three meals. If you have a garden, all the better. Cheaper too. I hate having to lose weight, so I try to stay the same all the time. That does include stepping on the scale almost every day.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Default Applebees

Eat out only at Applebees ~ they have WW points on their menus so one can plan and know how many points they are eating for a meal ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Count calories. Count exercise. You need to know what you are taking in and burning if you are going to be able to hold yourself accountable.

Exercise does not mean an extra treat or it was a WASTE OF EFFORT AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT HAVE DONE IT. Remind yourself that every time you want to cheat if you are an exercise hater like me.

Most of all -- Tailor whatever you do to fit yourself and your life.

No carbs works for tons of people -- but I can't do it. I have to have sweets or I am not satisfied. So I eat large portions of low-cal foods (salad, greens, etc.), a protein, then top it off with a sweet treat and stop. Without the sweet treat I snack.

Same thing with breakfast. If I eat breakfast I am hungry all day. If I eat breakfast regularly I will weigh 10 pounds more than if I don't. So I don't eat breakfast anymore, regardless of what the studies show. It works for me.

I'm usually happiest when I eat a lot of "whole" foods - meals cooked from scratch, not from a box. It's a bit more work, but tends to be better for you, and you can modify the amounts of salt and fat that you add to things. It also has the added bonus of tasting much better.

Also, exercise is what tones you up. Sorry.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Eat out only at Applebees ~ they have WW points on their menus so one can plan and know how many points they are eating for a meal ~
    Have read at least one study that came out recently to suggest that their counts are completely wrong. Which bummed me out, I love some of those dishes!

I can't, and probably won't ever, change my eating habits. I love crappy food. I work overnights, which means all I ever do is eat fast food. I have a problem with people blaming the food, as if it's only the food's fault and not America's lifestyle. If I want to eat something--cake, cereal, cookies, fruit, seeds, whatever--I'm going to eat it. For example, had a cake n' shake today from coldstone(omg, love.) They're something crazy like 1500 calories a shake.

The most important thing, ALWAYS, is portion control. Go to the frozen food section and take a look at the 'smart choice' and 'healthy' frozen dinners. See how small they are? That's the portions you SHOULD be eating. America has gotten so out of control with not exactly what we eat, but how much. It should not take a triple big mac, a large fry, and a large soda to fill you up. Diners give you way too much food.

Don't go directly to eating small portions of everything; do it slowly. Let your stomach shrink back to the size it is SUPPOSED to be. Buy smaller plates for your home so you're not tempted to fill up the normal sized ones. Not only do you need to train your stomach, but you need to train your mind to realize what's going to fill you up vs. what you THINK you need to fill you up.

Eat slowly! It takes the brain something like twenty minutes to realize you're full. The faster you eat, the more food you can cram into your stomach before your brain realizes 'too much!'. If you cut a steak up into 20 tiny pieces, it's also going to look like a lot more then ten big pieces.

EAT BREAKFAST. Do not skip this. This jumpstarts your metabolism every day. If you skip breakfast, you're telling your body you're fasting. Which means it's going to hold on to whatever meal you decide to give it next.

Last, and certainly not least--exercise. Just like horses, our bodies are made to move. They release endorphins when we work out, we're healthier, we have more energy, our joints are better protected and everything works better. The harder intensity you work out, the less time you'll have to do it. I actually work two jobs, 60-70 hours a week, and still find time to work out. If I only have ten minutes, then I work out hard and fast for that time. Go for fast power walks down the street. Build up to jogging. (sorry, but I don't consider walking exercise. Just a good precursor to REAL exercise, like jogging.) Do push ups, buy some small weights, and try that. Weight training is great for losing weight--resting muscle burns more calories then resting fat.

It doesn't have to be rocket science. You don't need a journal to lose weight--just some guidelines. Once this is easy, THEN you can start eliminating some of the really terrible things you eat. (For example, I can eat terrible food, but stay away from soda whenever I can help it. I try to eat small meals constantly, and healthy things--not candy and chips!).

Edited to add: For reference, I am an athletic 115 lb on a 5'3" frame. If I sit and do nothing but eat junk, I WILL-and have-gained weight. i'm not one of those 'skinny girls' naturally!

I forgot to mention Livestrong (might have mentioned it last OT day though) - www.livestrong.com -it has every possible food (with calorie, fiber, protein etc counts, and even a version for diabetics) you could find at a grocery store or chain restaurants, plus you can input your own recipes (which is a bit time consuming but useful!). It also has every variety of exercise and the number of calories it burns. Everything from machines like ellipticals to riding, to everyday stuff like vacuuming.

Actually, different body types/genetic make-ups require different types of food.

Some people can eat carbs and not gain a pound.

Some people can eat high fat diets and not gain a pound.

Others can eat whatever they want and be fine.

Of course, you also have to burn more than you consume!

I can eat whatever I want....and frequently do. I eat as much as I want.

I know what works for me/my body/my lifestyle! I eat a balance of carbs/protein/fat! When I am tired or stressed, I crave carbs. The more carbs I eat, the more I need, the more weight I gain. The more caffiene I drink, the more carbs I crave, etc...... weight gain.

I move a lot. I don't make special effort "to work out". I have a very physical job and move a great deal at work. I stay active at home.

Most people know the basics, but don't put it into practice or believe in themselves to do it.....I don't know why more people don't/can't/won't lose weight.....It just perplexes me.

Good Luck to those trying. It is not a "diet" it is a lifestyle! Trying to lose 20 pounds via a diet isn't hard. It is maintaining that weightloss that is!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    Actually, different body types/genetic make-ups require different types of food.

Some people can eat carbs and not gain a pound.

Some people can eat high fat diets and not gain a pound.

Others can eat whatever they want and be fine.
    Yeah, I could too, until I turned 30. Got even worse after 45.