The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What would you pay.....

I am just curious as to what people's opionion is on the price of a 8 year old Cleveland Bay/TB gelding that I looked at that is for sale in Pennsylvania. He is @16.2 hands, super cute, W/T/C and jumping smallish (2'6-3') fences-a good-to above average mover that just has no real formal education (except for the last 3 months) and has only been to a couple of schooling shows. He has a great attitude-although not for a total beginner with a want to please attitude. He is listed for $16,000 and that to me seems a bit high to me but I am wondering if that is right for the "East coast" area.? Want him for eventing...opinions?

Take this post down before someone else scoops him
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Does that mean you think he is fairly priced..? My horsie friends around here thinks I am nuts! LOL

I would offer no more than $10,000 for him. I love CB/ TB crosses but the thing is, is that you can get a going Novice/ Training horse with higher level potential for less than $16,000. The worst thing they can say is no to your offer and than you know it wasn't meant to be (or that's how I think of it.)
    If he was 4/5 maybe the price could hold but there's a lot out there for lower and doing more and a lot of people needing to sell too (definitely a buyer's market!)
    Good luck on whatever you decide

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    I would offer no more than $10,000 for him. I love CB/ TB crosses but the thing is, is that you can get a going Novice/ Training horse with higher level potential for less than $16,000. The worst thing they can say is no to your offer and than you know it wasn't meant to be (or that's how I think of it.)
    If he was 4/5 maybe the price could hold but there's a lot out there for lower and doing more and a lot of people needing to sell too (definitely a buyer's market!)
    Good luck on whatever you decide

ummm...not here in PA. If it is going novice with ability to go training and a good mover...typically will not be under 20K unless it is older, smaller....ugly etc. Going training...usually over 25K or more if it has the potential to go higher and is younger.

ETA: In other words...for around here...16K may not be off for a quality green horse who is a nice size and type, good mover and started over fences. Without much time...they will be ready to compete at novice or go fox hunting and their price will increase.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 4, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I was a certified equine appraiser for 15 years. I'd say depending on where in Pa...they may not be far off at 16K but I'd say definately worthy of 10 to 12k . Now this is of course without actually seeing the horse. Do you have any pics or video?
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

He's a bay 16.2 gelding who is relatively straightforward, has his basics down and been out in public a couple of time - yeah, that's probably a reasonable asking price. (doesn't mean you couldn't offer less to see what happens)

If he was a 15.2 mare with a hot streak, then not so much.

I would also wait and see what the vet check shows.
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    ummm...not here in PA. If it is going novice with ability to go training and a good mover...typically will not be under 20K unless it is older, smaller....ugly etc. Going training...usually over 25K or more if it has the potential to go higher and is younger.

ETA: In other words...for around here...16K may not be off for a quality green horse who is a nice size and type, good mover and started over fences. Without much time...they will be ready to compete at novice or go fox hunting and their price will increase.
    Around here that'd be way too much. For 16k I would definitely expect going training with scores in the low 30s in dressage, good movement, and clean for all jumping. (But maybe I just say that because my guy was below that, but low 30s and clean jumping...) When it comes to buying, I love where I live! Selling? That'd probably be another story...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Around here that'd be way too much. For 16k I would definitely expect going training with scores in the low 30s in dressage, good movement, and clean for all jumping. (But maybe I just say that because my guy was below that, but low 30s and clean jumping...) When it comes to buying, I love where I live! Selling? That'd probably be another story...

yup...it all really depends on where you live.

I will say though..while prices may be higher around here some of that is because we have a lot more potential buyers. Lots of H/J, dressage, eventing, pony club as well as fox hunting etc. So often these horse are marketable in many various markets with more potential buyers than a lot of other areas. A nice cross like this is very desirable for a lot of these markets...fox hunters, all rounders as well as eventers. I would suspect that he is being marketed to them all.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Sent you a PM..
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

Thanks for all of your replys so far...!