The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cosmetics

I suppose after not having seen most of mine in a long time, much less used any, it is safe to assume I should ditch it....

I need some girly friends to help me back on track...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Anything that is several years old or has a foul scent should probably be thrown out, it's probably no longer sanitary.

www.makeupalley.com is a good place for makeup info.

at one time I had blush I bought when I was 16...it was well over a decade later...

Thankfully when my kid was born some of that stuff got taken care off!

Yeah, most of my stuff has not seen the light of day in a long LONG time...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Toss it! Go through your medication cabinet while you're at it.

(Then take yourself down to MAC and splurge a little. )

http://makeupalley.com is fun and very informative. I love it!

Are you looking for specific brands?

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I suppose cheap would be the operative words. After all I have a bad track record of not using the stuff for 20 years then having to toss it out!

Yes throw it out! If you are looking for cheap go to Walgreen, Rite Aid, Walmart and shop around and pick stuff out. I think makeup if really fun. Do you have any specific questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I suppose cheap would be the operative words. After all I have a bad track record of not using the stuff for 20 years then having to toss it out!
    I like L'Oreal mascara and eyeshadows, and their eyeliners. Revlon lipstick. I still think it's best to get a department store or Sephora foundation, as you can get your skintone matched and usually a sample to take home and try, which generally isn't possible with DS foundation. I also admit I watch for the buy-one-get-one-free or buy-one-get-one-50% off sales in the papers!

Kim
    Last edited by tikihorse2; Sep. 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: clarity

I kill threads dead!

Oh, and if you're looking for waterproof mascara, Maybelline makes some good ones. Non-waterproof ones, I still like L'Oreal best.

Kim

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    I like L'Oreal mascara and eyeshadows, and their eyeliners. Revlon lipstick. I still think it's best to get a department store or Sephora foundation, as you can get your skintone matched and usually a sample to take home and try, which generally isn't possible with DS foundation. I also admit I watch for the buy-one-get-one-free or 50% off sales in the papers!

Kim
    shucks, 50% off is nice!

I had a Mary Kay lady do my makeup once...I was mighty sticker shocked over it ( she was a jerk to boot, too, but that's another story)

shucks, 50% off is nice!

I had a Mary Kay lady do my makeup once...I was mighty sticker shocked over it ( she was a jerk to boot, too, but that's another story)
    Oops--I see that I wasn't clear! I should have said, "Buy one, get one 50% off"!

Sorry 'bout that.

Kim

I kill threads dead!

LOL, it's still good when you use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgsd View Post
    I think makeup if really fun. Do you have any specific questions?
    Agreed. What are your main concerns when you are going to bother w/ make up?

Do you need better coverage? Or is your skin clear/smooth enough for just a tinted moisturizer?

Do you like to play up eyes or lips more?

Its really easy to build a quality base of make up if you focus on what you want to accomplish w/ make up.

I don't want it often, so when I do, I take it seriously. jk

But seriously, I went from never owning any to slowly building up a decent base of make up.

Also, re: Mary Kay. Some make up ppl just do not realize that some people really want a neutral or natural look. Or price ranges!

Most of the "department store brands" are exactly the same, chemically, as any of the major names in the drugstores. They just charge more. However, if you need ADVICE, the makeup counters are very helpful and you can usually get out the door without buying much. (I personally like Clinique.)

On old stuff--if it's a cream or liquid, toss it, especially if it's for eyes. Powders, check for a smell.

Personally, I buy a lot of Cover Girl (there will ALWAYS be coupons in the P&G Brandsaver) eye products, especially their mascaras. Also like L'oreal HIP liners and Revlon 12-hour shadows. Blush, eh, six of one half a dozen of another. Lips, depends on your colors.

Best foundation I have ever bought is Maybeline 24 Hour. I don't wear it every day (if I wear street makeup I use their mineral powder foundation) but I bought it to use for dance and if you want coverage that doesn't go away, it's great. I was actually sweating (new pro makes me work!) this weekend, and even with blotting I still had pretty good coverage. If I needed more foundation for street wear I'd buy it in my normal shade (for dance it has to match my skin when tanned.)

Not quite makeup, but anyone want to give me some daytime moisturizer suggestions? Too many options out there, I can't make up my mind. I'm using up some old stuff right now.

I'm in my mid 30s, have some crows feet around my eyes (need to do better putting eye cream on), still get occasional breakouts, and prefer something with sunscreen as that saves a step. I'd say fairly normal skin and don't have sensitive skin. Prefer to keep the price around $25 or under.

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse22 View Post

Also, re: Mary Kay. Some make up ppl just do not realize that some people really want a neutral or natural look. Or price ranges!

I went there as a favor to a friend, the Mary Kay lady did her makeup for the senior pageant in exchange for 10 willing people to listen to her sales pitch. I think she wanted to recruit me....

But she was an a** later on, how dare my friend send her all the housewifes...it wasn't for lack of trying, I can assure you that!

I don't dig pyramid screems.. so she was off the radar!

Well, I am trying to get back into a 'she takes care of herself' habit, no foundation really, it's too flippin hot here, eye liner, a bit blush, lipstick, thankfully I have pretty clear skin once I get in the habit of treating it well.

I have touchy skin, and get on well with Olay Regenerist 15 spf daily moisturizer. Doesn't feel greasy, and I like to think it helps with the crow's feet. Around here it's usually ca. 19.99. I don't burn with it, and I do tend to fry easily.

The reason I suggested department store foundation is that it can be difficult to get an exact color match or formula for your skin, and sometimes you end up spending so much on trying various drugstore ones that you might as well have bought a department store foundation in the first place!

Kim

I kill threads dead!

Moisturizer--I use Olay Complete Moisture SPF #30 for Sensitive Skin. My dermatologist looked at the list of ingredients and said it's a good one.

Kim

I kill threads dead!

Well, I am trying to get back into a 'she takes care of herself' habit, no foundation really, it's too flippin hot here, eye liner, a bit blush, lipstick, thankfully I have pretty clear skin once I get in the habit of treating it well.
    Mary Kay lady sounds like a disaster. :/

Yes, I know what you mean! Same here re: skin. I am deligent about sunscreen/hat/sunglasses and reap the benefits whenever I *do* want to wear some make up; no foundation necessary!

Personally, I have sensitive skin that is happiest when left alone for the most part. I wash w/ neutrogena non-fragrance bar (basic basic!) every night, then use Aveeno Daily Moisturizer (non fragrance).

Then in the AM I use Neutrogena Face 70SPF (I know the numbers, once past 50 aren't supposed to make that much of a difference, but I slather this stuff on and reapply twice sometimes 3x a day and it doesn't make my face as greasy as some of the cheaper, lower spf sunscreens). Then spf chapstick. And cheap 50+SPF spray for arms/hands, etc.

If I follow that, my skin is very happy!

Then if I want to use make up: daytime base of sunscreen, then a tinted moisturizer. I look for hypoallergenic make up. Tinted moisturizer gives just enough color to make double sure everything looks the same tone. Little blush, voila! Creamy skin w/ some color! Dunno about you, I'm one shade above ivory. Pretty easy to find.

I steer clear of foundation too. Its hot here and I hate it anyway. I tend to get ghost face if I wear foundation. Way too much! I personally don't wear make up if I'm going to sweat anyway. I can't recommend any brands b/c I'm a MAC girl but I scrimp and save for it and its worth it to me.