The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ways to save or earn more $?

Are there any good resources out there? We are having to tighten our belts and I'm looking for specific suggestions and inspiration.

Things like the Grocery Game don't work for me because our area is so rural there really is one grocery store (all the others are too far to make it a real savings). And I do things like buy most clothes at thrift stores etc.

I'm trying a weekly cash allowance for my husband and I, and not using and credit cards. I'm finding it works, but my husband still uses the card when he wants something but is out of cash. Any tips on dealing with him??

Any and all suggestions much appreciated!

(PS horse suggestions not really needed as we have our own farm and routine expenses are low)

Keep a journal for expenses/income.
    I mean, everybody has to write in what they do with the money.
    Once you write it out you see how much frivilous money is spend even when being frugal.

Really, if you are in this boat credit cards are the last resort, should.not.be.touched! Except emergencies of course, but Hubby needs to see that clearly! Out of cash should mean no buying time. Not sure how you can make it clear to him though. I mean, it would suck if you needed a truck repair but couldn't get it because there is no room on the card...

Best of luck to you, having to scrimp is no fun.

One more thing, having the farm, maybe you can have a corner for produce, the notorious high stuff like letuce etc, even potatoes can be grown easily, heck even in an old barrel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Tell your husband to stop! The CC NOT for incidentals any more! Take the CC out of his wallet, and leave in a drawer at home.

It sounds like you two aren't really on the same page about getting finances into order - the hows and the whys. Maybe a good sitdown where you ask him why he is using the CC -- REALLY listen to the answer -- and try to engage on a solution you can both agree on. It's no good to become the nagging mommy because it doesn't work in the long run it ends up with you two on opposite sides, where you should be on the same side. "A team problem calls for a team solution."

Do you know where your money is going? Aside from rent/mortgage and whatever it costs you to get to work, most expenses can be reduced painlessly to some degree, but before you figure out how, you have to figure out where the money goes.

If you're basically down to the bone, an Angel Food box can help out with groceries.

I read a book where a guy started a soup making business on a "subscription model." People signed up to get soup delivered once a week. Very little waste because you know exactly how much you need to make, and your family benefits from any over-run. Maybe you could get friends interested in having home baked bread, or brownies, or, hell soup! delivered once a week. Churches often have commercial kitchens you can use for a couple hours at a time.

Selling clothes you don't wear on Ebay can bring in money in dribs and drabs but sometimes anything helps. Same for unused tack and equipment.

Obviously a part time job is good. I just had a novel idea for a service where you meet a person at the barn, tack up their horse, and watch their kids while they ride. Could appeal to riding moms who only have limited time to get their ride in. $15 for an hour +$5 for a walkout (winter) or hosedown (summer). I even have a business name: "Groom to Go." (No, I don't require a cut!)

I bet lots of Barn Managers would let you put a sign up -- means fewer unsupervised rugrats in their aisle
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Thanks for these ideas! And yes, my husband and I are not exactly on the same page re: our finances. I wish I could vent, but I don't have the time or patience to create an alter!

I like the groom to go idea -- when I had more money and boarded my horse I would have been very interested in something like that for my young kids. Right now, any job has to fit in with my three kids and farm chores . . . that soup idea sounds seriously good though. I live in an area with a lot of weekenders so it might appeal. Have to investigate a commercial kitchen . . . hmmm . . .

Do you have any other talents?

I mean, by now everybody scrap books, but still some prefer to have it done...

Something along that line.

Also - and I want to kill myself for saying this - fundraiser coordinator. The average fundraiser does not yield more than 50% max to the organization it is held for, most of it stays with the company that runs it. (I hate fundraisers though)

Also, Tupperware...yeah, I know, shoot me now. If that type of social interaction is ok with you, you can make a bit of money from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Well a very long time ago I was a lawyer, but it was so long ago there is no way to practice now. As for the fundraising thing. . . I did think of that because I've been involved with lots as a volunteer. I ran one a few years ago for my kids' school and raised $50,000 (which was a lot for us). I have thought I could/should go into development . . . I guess I need to investigate that more.

I was going to reply to this thread, then realized the only reason I have some money, is I never go out to eat, don't take many vacations, don't buy many new clothes/cars/things, and both DH and I work 7 days a week.

Horses are my sole luxury. And I pay for them by doing the same thing you do, so I guess I have no advice to give SMF111.

But you have my sympathy on the husband/credit card issue. Mine can't resist a bargain, even if he has to charge it. Anyone need a t-shirt from Sears? He just bought ten, TEN t-shirts with stupid sayings because they were only $2.50 each. He will be wearing them, even if they are dorky.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Default Get creative!

I've been scrimping lately in order to afford the luxuries I want to keep without killing myself. My horse is half-leased to a nice lady whose horse just passed away suddenly. She only rides 2x a week but I get 50% relief of his board/farrier bills. Quite nice!

I buy almost EVERYTHING second hand or thrift shop. Yard sales, consignment stores are my favorite. All of m furniture is unique and I can find vintage pieces who may be ugly and in need of only a coat of paint and I fix them up and either keep or sell them online.

Ebay is good for horse stuff you no longer need, I've sold all of mine there. I also get my stuff on ebay. I'm a big bargain hunter.

I could have a yard sale- but I sell most of the stuff on craigslist or ebay.

Ask him to leave the card at home for a week or two. I bet using it is more habit than need with him. No harm in giving it a try, and he might just realise that he doesn't need that whatever he's been buying.

Might be too late for this year, but how about a pick your own? You could do berries, tomatoes or even pumpkins for Halloween. I guess it depends on how much/what sort of land you have though.

Daily dog boarding? Have people drop their dogs off before work, you look after them for the day, and the owners pick them up after work. Depends on your location/love of dogs/facilities though.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!