The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion Owners: Where do you advertise? Mare Owners: Where do you shop?

We are rebuilding our web site, and debating the need for a Stallion Section. In the past we have been approached by both stallion and mare owners about providing this, and now would be the time to do it.

I've done some research, searched here and the internet, and noted that a nice, up-to-date Stallion web site is the most recommended advertising medium. I have not noticed many national sites suggested, I think the warmbloods (for sale?) site had some good play with some of you?

And of course the glorious magazine Stallion Issues, which do such a beautiful job of making an impression on mare owners, but are quite hefty in cost.

So, is there a need for a national online location with a choice selection of quality Sport Horse stallions? A site that differs from others in attention to detail, quality media requirements, and has extra emphasis on design and presentation?

Can you point me to locations or industry magazines that have been a good resource to you in either your stallion search, or stallion promotion?

Since we are hunter-jumper sales dominant many may not be familiar with the established platform I speak of. I will describe but want to keep this as broadly stroked as possible because I need information, not traffic, and I hope this will stay up here: The current site is 1 of 2 standard 'go-tos' for hunter jumper sales online. We coexist because the market understands distinct differences in what we offer - Both have well-trafficked online locations to find sale horses, but our ads are backed by a multimedia campaign and professional ad development & maintenance. And we cost a lot more, which tends to gravitate our stock towards the higher price ranges.

So, assuming the same principles would be applied to the growth of a stallion section, and the finished product would be a "bit different" then what you get with a 'pay & post' web site, is this of interest to Stallion owners? Maybe for those that struggle to produce or maintain a quality, well updated barn web site?

Mare owners - do you feel the process of a stallion search is missing an element of ease? Additionally, would a section for selling or leasing broodies be of interest to you?

Alright, let's see if this goes. I know someone recently posed the premise of paying for a new horsey BB, and whether that would be of interest. It got shot down but it stayed on the boards
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

I didn't have much success with expensive glossy print ads. Most of my non local breedings came from Equine.com and Dreamhorse.com stallion listings. Mares: I bought 3 off intenet listings (DH or Equine.com...I knew what I was looking for) , 1 came from a friend /dtr left for college/quit riding the mare, one was bought locally form someone I knew, 1 was a "rescue" (owner had financial problems could not pay her board....retired show horse) and 1 is from my own breeding program. I probably will not be buying any more as I have enough retained fillies from my own breeding program that I have plenty now!

I think another online site for stallions is always welcome especially if the focus is the hunter jumper market. As long as the prices are competitive I think that stallion owners will flock to it.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

As a mare owner, I shop for stallions through the listing of approved stallions with my registry of choice. I then visit the website of those stallions on that list that I find interesting.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    As a mare owner, I shop for stallions through the listing of approved stallions with my registry of choice. I then visit the website of those stallions on that list that I find interesting.
    That is what I do too. I love the Chron. of the Horse print stallion issue, and I also love seeing the newly minted German stallions, but in the end, they all have to go through the registries I use.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Ditto. I don't use online sales websites to identify stallions

Ditto.
    I primarily go through the breed registry listings but I also check sire listings on USEF and try to pay attention to which stallions are winning or have offspring that are currently winning in the show ring or have foals that catch my eye at inspections.
    Very rarely do I use an equine sales site to find a stallion.

I used the CWBA site because that is who I was going to register with and I also wanted a stallion that I could see in person. I did a lot of research otherwise that lead me to stallions that have performance records or by their offspring. In order for Google to find you, it is easier to have your horses name out there associated with the registry, performance records, sire, dam or other notable relatives, and offspring accomplishments.

It depends on the stallion's breed too. Not all of us breed only warmbloods. A lot of folks here are WB breeders. I have some WBs too....but the approval/scores thing does not apply to the non WB breeds.
    Our former stallion was an APHA dual registered TB, the current one is his APHA son (3/4 TB and 1/4 APHA). They do not belong to warmblood registries. (Well the TB was in the approval process when he passed away). Advertising in th PHJ (Paint Horse Journal) was expensive and didn't do me any good as they have 95+% stock bred horses in there and mine is not a stock type.

I see the benefit, definitely, for non-warmbloods that do not go through approvals. Our stallion is unusual in that he comes from a breed/registry heavily dominated by stock horses. There are few Appaloosas with sport horse potential in the US's largest Appaloosa registry (ApHC). And, of course, there is no inspection and approval process. So finding these horses can be a little more challenging. Of course you can advertise with your registry but it might not be the best use of your advertising dollars if there is not a large market for sport horse type stallions in that registry.

I also see the benefit for mare owners who are undecided about any particular breed or have more flexibility with breed choices (such as TBs) or those interested in crossbreeding. Offering a medium to allow mare owners to compare stallions on significant variables with less legwork could be of benefit as well. For example, specifically ask for video at liberty and under saddle, scores/placings at different levels in the specific disciplines. Doing all that research yourself can be challenging and time consuming. Maybe stallion owners wouldn't want to provide it but I can see how mare owners would appreciate it.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Same here!

Same here.... I go through the breed registry's list of approved stallions and the annual AHHA and BWP stallion guides.

From there I move on to the farm web page.