The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

VAHokie-
    Definitely go with the lick-its. THat is what Trish gives to Dezi and has kept him sane in his confinement. I talked to her last night and she agreed with what we talked about for possible feedings down the line. Rice bran, beet pulp, forage, etc but everything very soaked and soupy. Just talk to your vet as what is allowed. Poor you, I know you have had teh worst time. I also wanted you to know that the horse that I knwe that had colic surgery was back on grass hay by the time he got home. I think Morven may have had in on it when he was there as well. Anyway, just wanted you to know I was thinking of you!
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Not a prob VTH! Like I said... feel free to PT me with any questions or if you just need to vent your frustrations this next 30-90 days. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif I think I've been just as crabby as my mare since her surgery in September. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

The first time my mare had her surgery I was "lucky" enough to be emailing with somebody who had a gelding who went thru surgery 1-2 weeks prior. He got the same lumpy/pointy tummy that Sass did too. It's some weird healing thing that the stomach goes through.

Let us know how things went after your visit today. Give that boy a big kiss on that cute nose of his for me! LOVE the white!!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

*Member of the bad shoulder clique* (open surgery was 1-6-03)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Bay colt by Lacoste 5-6-03
    Chevy weaned at 4.5 months
    Next to me at 4.5 months
    Trying to be Superman at 4 months

[This message was edited by onetempies on Nov. 03, 2003 at 12:20 PM.]
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onetempies:
    He got the same lumpy/pointy tummy that Sass did too. It some weird healing thing that the stomach goes through.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that!!! Funny how I forgot.

The one thing I wish I had done at the time was take photos of him in surgery, recovering, getting better, etc... It's just not something that you think to do at all, but it was so ugly and he's now so normal I wish I had the photos. Maybe morbid. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

~Bev

-----------------------
    Finnegans Wake
    Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
    16.1hh
    bay
    -----------------------
    Finnegans Wake
    Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
    16.1hh
    Finn's photo album http://community.webshots.com/user/finnegan24100

Jingles for a very uneventful recovery!

I can still say I've not had to go through the surgery, thank goodness. Colic, though, I'm on my second one. Yuck!!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Finn... morbid? That's me. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif The whole healing process was/is interesting. Amazing thing is how this surgery was more serious than the 2001 one. BUT... my mare is healing faster this time around. Even my vet said that one would never know that she had colic surgery by just looking at her... and that was 2 weeks post-op. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif He was completely amazed at the incision when he was taking the staples out. Never seen him stare at something so long. He really had me and the vet tech who travels with him on the raod cracking up.

I think the scariest part is when they just come out of recovery... all sweaty and shaking. It just breaks your heart. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

*Member of the bad shoulder clique* (open surgery was 1-6-03)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Bay colt by Lacoste 5-6-03
    Chevy weaned at 4.5 months
    Next to me at 4.5 months
    Trying to be Superman at 4 months
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Thank you for all of your support!
    I just got back from the vet hospital and Xpress seemed happy to see me, ears pricked and begging for treats (he has a trick that I taught him for treats and he did it without asking.) I felt so bad seeing him hooked up to the IV and still doing his trick that I had to get a vet and asked if I could give him some carrots. We also were allowed to go out in the sunshine for a 15 minute hand grazing. He was full of energy and was quite strong when I "asked" him to go back inside.
    The little outing around the barn really tired him out though because when we got back to the stall his eyes kept getting heavier and heavier until he finally laid down.
    I did notice a small amount of blood coming out of the incision when he was laying down so I had a vet (or someone in scrubs anyway) look at it. They said it was ok.
    The thing they are worried about is that he hasn't pooped as much as they would have liked, so they will be having a vet look at him tonight.
    Please keep the jingles, and helpful ideas coming.

-----------------------------

http://community.webshots.com/user/xpresssmom

VTHokie-- my jumper had to have colic surgery this summer and I don't know what to say othe rthan the first few days are touch and go, but after that is just gets much much better very very quickly.

I really hope it starts getting better fast, the only thing I can say is that not even three months later he's being ridden again, flatting and he's going to start jumping this week, the scar is barely visible, and except for some horrible habits he picked up in the spoiled-horse department, he's absolutely perfect and the vet says that although he doesn't want him doing the a/o's in WEF he should be good to go to terrorize the a/a jumpers, and since I'm at school my mom has been riding him and he tries to convince her to steer him towards anything that has vertical height to it.

I can't say enough that the first few days really suck, in fact the whole thing relaly sucks, and we've had some bad colic luck in our family and it's just a horrible horrible thing, but unlike the last horse in our family that coliced (10 years ago) the vets really do have a better handle on it now and I seriously can't emphasize enough that even though it might not feel like it getting the horse into, through, and out of the surgery really is the most awful part, and it's only going to get better.

best of luck and lots of jingles (they worked for me!)

BoR--resident Stupid Child

Um, I don\'t spell check. Deal with it.

I totally understand what you are going through, but it sounds like your horse is doing great so far! My hunter had a severe cecal impaction 6 years ago, and only had a 50% chance of even surviving the surgery. He survived (!) but stayed in the hospital for 10 days. I will caution you to be prepared for him to have lost a LOT of weight when he comes home. AJ (my horse) was so thin and lost SO much muscle. He had the surgery in late June, and we began riding him again in the end of August. He was on stall rest for a while when we first brought him home, then hand-walking, and then light turnout - and then riding. It took many more months (about 3-4 months) to gradually get him back in shape. But he was totally cured and went right back to showing for years afterward at the same levels as before - and has not showed any colicky signs since.

One thing that we did that helped - our barn manager at the time was trained as a (human) nurse, and kept EXACT track of how much and when he peed, pooped, ate and drank every single day. That way, we could see if there was a problem - and we would potentially be able to spot a problem WAY before it got too bad. I would recommend doing that if you can.

It sounds like your horse will be okay - it takes a long time, but he will get back to normal with lots of love and good care.
    Good luck - my thoughts are with you.

Jingles for a speedy recovery.

Be all that you can be forever. Be an organ donar.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Still jingling for you!

The vet called today to ask if Xpress normally lays down alot, because he has been laying down alot at the hospital. I'm not really sure he does it alot but I have seen him laying down after a night of playing hard, etc. So maybe he is just doing because of the drugs, and being uncomfortable.
    They said he's getting 1/4 of a flake of hay every 8 hours now. Doesn't sound like he would have been okay for release tomorrow like they originally said. (I won't be able to have access to a trailer until Sunday anyway, but it's discouraging that it sounds like he's not progressing very much.)

Oh sweetie, you have my love, prayers, and jingles...

((((((((((((((big hugs)))))))))))))))

&gt;^.,.^&lt;

www.imom.org
    Helping those who cannot afford veterinary care for their pets...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

Please keep us posted. So, so sorry for you both. Hang in there! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Hang in there! My guy had colic surgery on Sept 10- this year. He had is first (undrugged), full turn-out today, and goes back to work on the 17th of this month... but boy has it been scary!

Just know that there are people thinking about you, and praying for you horse!

Jingles!!
    If you always do what you've always done- you'll always get what you've always gotten.
    Madison Ridge Farm

More jinlges and hugs for you!!

I understand how frustrating it is with a sick horse. Mine is still in the hospital and we still don't have a diagnosis (went in for colic surgery but it didn't happen, thank goodness).

~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Thank you all! I will make the trip out to the hospital tomorrow and will update again then.

Bounce - Glad to hear recovery is going well for your horse. What are your plans for restarting him into work? Just walking for a while? For how long? Let me know how it goes, how is his energy level as you start working again, etc.

Reefy - Sorry to hear about your horse I will look to see if you have a thread about it rather than ask you to repost about it. I hope you get a resolution quickly.

VTHokie,
    Sorry he isn't progressing as well as expected. Maybe it is fate that you couldn't get him trailered till Sunday, just as a just in case. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

VTHokie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bounce - Glad to hear recovery is going well for your horse. What are your plans for restarting him into work? Just walking for a while? For how long? Let me know how it goes, how is his energy level as you start working again, etc.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! His energy level has been, well... he is flat crazy!!! Had to use Resurpine for stall rest, with a kicker of Ace for turnout. He was VERY fit before the surgery though. (ready for a CCI*)

My vet says that after 60 days, he is ready to go. I will walk him (I hope!!!) for 1 week. Then pick up with some flat work and conditioning trot sets. I will do that for the first 30 days, then work back to collected work and jumping sometime around mid to the end of December. If all goes well... he should be back out eventing at the beginning of the season in February. This was MUCH better than I was thinking when I was standing at the hospital watching his surgery!!

He has done very well though. He did not have to have anything cut or removed, just flipped back over and turned around, so recovery was quicker. Because it was torsion and not impaction, he was allowed to go back to regular diet fairly quickly (after gut motility was back in order), so he has actually put on quite a few pounds, and looks fat and sassy. Because he was so fit... his muscle tissue was healthy, and his blood flow was good... so his sutures healed very quickly and clean.

Hope your guy is doing well. It is a horrible nightmare to go through! I have had horses for 27 years, and this was a first. I hope it's the last!!

Good luck!!!

You might check out this website- they have a post colic surgery back to work schedule in the "library" www.atlantaequine.com
    If you always do what you've always done- you'll always get what you've always gotten.
    Madison Ridge Farm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bounce:
    He did not have to have anything cut or removed, just flipped back over and turned around, so recovery was quicker. Because it was torsion and not impaction, he was allowed to go back to regular diet fairly quickly (after gut motility was back in order), so he has actually put on quite a few pounds, and looks fat and sassy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone from the hospital called me today to know what his regular diet is. They said they want to start working him towards that. I thought it was strange because they initially told me 30 days with no food, just hay/grass. And he did have torsion and impaction. Hmmm...
    I'm going tomorrow, so I'll get that cleared up.

jingles for xpress!!!

Hugs for VTHokie!!!!