The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I've had my OTTB since August 1st. I had her 2 weeks when she was severely kicked and ran through a gate. She has had her hind leg wrapped, no riding, and turn out in a small paddock for over a month. This was the first weekend where she actually looked like she was making progress.
    Turned her out this morning and with in 10 minutes she was trotting around and slipped and her hind end fell out from under her. She continued prancing around and looked okay. I left for lunch and came back and she was 3 legged lame and trembling from head to toe. I called the vet out for an emergency visit and he did x-rays on her hock.
    I just got a call with the results-
    She pulled the ligaments from the bone in her hock and pulled off bone chips with it. In addition she fractured her hock. The vet said he has never seen anything like it and is going to send the pictures in to the vet school tomorrow to get their recommendation on how to proceed.
    I've border line lost my sanity at this moment (just got off the phone) and really REALLY need some jingles and support for my little filly. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

[This message was edited by okggo on Sep. 29, 2003 at 07:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by okggo on Oct. 16, 2003 at 02:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by okggo on Nov. 21, 2003 at 07:39 AM.]

I've had my OTTB since August 1st. I had her 2 weeks when she was severely kicked and ran through a gate. She has had her hind leg wrapped, no riding, and turn out in a small paddock for over a month. This was the first weekend where she actually looked like she was making progress.
    Turned her out this morning and with in 10 minutes she was trotting around and slipped and her hind end fell out from under her. She continued prancing around and looked okay. I left for lunch and came back and she was 3 legged lame and trembling from head to toe. I called the vet out for an emergency visit and he did x-rays on her hock.
    I just got a call with the results-
    She pulled the ligaments from the bone in her hock and pulled off bone chips with it. In addition she fractured her hock. The vet said he has never seen anything like it and is going to send the pictures in to the vet school tomorrow to get their recommendation on how to proceed.
    I've border line lost my sanity at this moment (just got off the phone) and really REALLY need some jingles and support for my little filly. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

[This message was edited by okggo on Sep. 29, 2003 at 07:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by okggo on Oct. 16, 2003 at 02:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by okggo on Nov. 21, 2003 at 07:39 AM.]

Oh my goodness!!! I am so sorry for you and your filly. I'll be praying for you. Try to keep your chin up.
    Beth

oh you poor thing! and your poor filly.
    so sorry! jingles!!!

"It appears we are being transformed from an information
    society to an informant society." Rep. Dennis Kucinich
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

You have my heartfelt sympathy, and I will be jingling like mad...but wait until the vet school sees the pictures. It may not be as bad as it looks.

Hang in there.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your horse. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif Will jingle like mad and hope there is a good outcome for your horse.

SLW
    "The horse stopped with a jerk, and the jerk fell off."

Jingles and prayers comming to both of you. My heart gose to you and your filly . please keep us updated.

Ashley
    http://www.yandafarms.com

Jingle jingle from Maryland, you have my prayers and wishes for a good prognosis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Amy
    Owned by:
    Cute as a Bugsear (Bugs) JC OTTTB (Isella x Annie Somebody)
    Pippen (Frodo) ATA Anglo Trakehner (Paramoure x Cute as a Bugsear)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Jingles too from me. Hang in there.

"No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle..." Winston Churchill

I'm sorry. Good luck, and everything crossed for a good prognosis.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Jingles
    "Hell, when I move my things go in boxes and I always make sure and bubble wrap my dog feces so it don't get broke." runwayz

Thanks, I will let you all know what the vet says tomorrow. I feel better, but I'm worried about my little girl.
    I'm gonna try to attach a picture so you all have a face to put with your jingles. Hopefully this will work...(This photo was taken yesterday http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif)
    Ok Gotta Go

ooooohhhhhh! What a nightmare! Do you have insurance? I know a woman who has a horse who fractured her hock. She survived, however she is no longer ridable. If your mare has good breeding she might be eligable to be a broodmare. Or, they might try something revolutionary and she may be as good as new.

Good luck, jingles. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

I am so sorry for you and your girl...praying and jingling for her...she is sooo pretty!
    They do wonderful things these days at the vet schools...keep updating!

I know there is someone on this board who has a horse who fracture his hock and is now (I think) competing (what discipline I do not remember). I hope that post sees this!

Fingers crossed, jingling and prayers. What a BEAUTIFUL horse, I hope that it all works out.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Jingle, Jingle, Jingle from Pennies and I.

Pennies~the evil mare~
    Moms Coffeebreak (RIP)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/luvmihorse
    ~~Proud member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique~~

Jingles for this grand-daughter of Storm Cat & great grand-daughter of Affirmed.

www.rougelandfarm.com Home of TB stallion Alae Rouge, sire of our filly Rose, ribbon-winner on the line at Dressage at Devon.

YoungFilly- I was going to get insurance on her, but the insurance company said they needed a bill of health from my vet saying she recovered from the first pasture attack before they would give me coverage. Since that injury occured pre-insurance company, they would not cover her. And the results of that have still not completely healed- it was a pretty nasty puncture wound that actually went to the bone.
    The puncture was finally scabbing over (after over a month of proud flesh) but she still has some swelling from it (LH ankle).
    Now, the fracture is her LH hock. The vet wrapped her whole LH, but after only a couple of hours yesterday had swollen from stifle to hoof.
    I'm supposed to hear from the vet today, so I will let you know what he says I need to do. I don't think I got a wink of sleep last night. Waiting is the worst part.
    I did get a phone call from the stable and they said she is still munching away contentedly on hay, so that makes me happy. I was afraid she would be in a lot of pain and go off her feed, etc etc.
    Poor baby just turned 3 years old in May- hopefully that means she will heal faster (I know human kids bones heal faster than adults do).

Jingles! Jingles! Jingles!!!!!

What a beauty! Best of luck to both of you during this healing time!

Make sure she update us!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE