The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Do you have a HE washing machine??

If so do you like it and what kind do you have??? We need to add a second set upstairs and will keep the downstairs one for horse stuff!!! We've done quite a bit of research so know some of the negatives. We had been leaning towards a LG or Samsung but am now leaning towards a Whirlpool or maytag. Tell me your experiences?

I have the Whirlpool Duet set, have had it for 2 years. No problems, love the machines. The only thing I dislike is that you have to clean them with cleaning tablets periodically, because they start to smell really bad!

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Rivermeer View Post
    I have the Whirlpool Duet set, have had it for 2 years. No problems, love the machines. The only thing I dislike is that you have to clean them with cleaning tablets periodically, because they start to smell really bad!

Heather
    Same. Got a bright firetruck red one for a steal on the 4th of July. My only vent is that I have scent allergies, and so finding unscented HE liquid is sometimes near impossible, but it's crucial not to use the regular stuff.

I have a Samsung, and when it works it is great. However the intake valve sticks so it doesn't always fill and it stops and beeps "NF"

Evidently it is a known issue, ranging from a minor annoyance to a real PITA.

It shouldn't smell if you don't shut the door all the way. I stuff a sock in the opening.

If I forget and it does get stinky I just run a load of sheets or towels with bleach
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I had a Maytag Neptune. Lasted 3 years, numerous repairs on various parts, finally the part that makes the drum spin died - and it was $$$$.

Later that day, we purchased a Whirlpool Duet. LOVE it. We've had it 2, maybe 3 years, not a problem with it. We do keep the door open a bit when not in use - and also keep the drawer that you put the detergent in open a few inches. No smell if you do that.

My parents also purchased the Duet set earlier this year and they love theirs.

I have a Kenmore energy star front load washer. Got it mid-may. Love it so far and have no complaints.

I have an LG. Love it. I've had it about a year and a half with no problems.

I have a Kenmore w&d. Bought them four years ago and have had no issues.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Whirlpool Duet. No complaints.

We have had our Kenmore front load washer for years. The first set lasted 14 years. It really saves wear and tear on your clothes.
    We have never used HE detergent. We just use a very small amount of regular detergent. We had a little one with allergies and they didn't even have special detergent years ago that was unscented.

I have a Bosch set. Just over two years old now. My only complaint is that I have to wash horse blankets one at a time and they don't always rinse all the way out (granted I put one in that had quite a bit of dried mud ground in). Oh yeah, my washer "walks" here in the doublewide, too much spring in the floor, and does vibrate things in that end of the structure.
    Stores here carry perfume free HE detergent, actually there is a pretty good selection, but you might try a store that caters to deer bowhunters if all else fails, they don't want scents or brighteners or any of that stuff on their hunting clothes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Whirlpool Duet and love it. I'm on a farm so I've got a well and have a septic system. Duet uses less water and that translates into less water going into septic. It isn't as hard on clothes as there is no agitator.

On occasion when I couldn't find the HE detergent, I did use regular but used about 1/2 the recommended amount and had no problems.

I'm not sure how long I've had the Duet but I'm guessing since '02 or 03 and haven't had a problem.

I launder ALL my horse turnouts, including the heavyweight Rambo's and they come out lovely. Course after I've done a blanket, I do a rinse cycle.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Oh, also just wanted to mention that the Whirlpool Duet we bought in July replaced a different Whirlpool Duet that was about 12 years old. Our Whirlpool dryer has got to be pushing 20 years old by now, if I think about it!

Big Whirlpool fan here. Have a stove that's over 15 years old, and a fridge that's almost ten.

I have a set of LG's. I avoid the smell problem by wiping the door and gasket down the second the washer finishes, and I remove the detergent tray and set it upright in the dish drainer to dry, plus I always leave the door wide open. I have a wide laundry room so I can leave the door open all of the time. The washer and dryer are steam, and I like the steam dryer. I used the steam setting when I unpacked the house to unwrinkle a lot of clothers in a few loads, and it worked out very well.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Rivermeer View Post

Heather
    That's what I have too. I like them, but with any front load washer, I think you have to remember to wipe the rubber seal dry after every use or it becomes mildewed. I have never heard of the cleaning tablets though?

The only complaint I have... it shakes during the spin cycle... and since the laundry room wall is also the dining room wall with glass cabinet ... ding, ding, ding.

We have a Fridgidaire set, almost 3 years old. We love the washer because it uses less water than a regular top load - important as we are on limited well water. Both are also very quiet - a nice bonus in our small home!

We have a Kenmore set; really like. Two years old and no problems.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

If you set the washer cycle on permanent press instead of normal the washer spins slower, and it should minimize the shaking.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Whirlpool Duet owner here, have had my set for about three years now, and love it. As others have said, if you leave the washer door open, there's no smell. I also make sure to run the sanitizer cycle when the light comes on, and once in a while, throw in a packet of Tide washer cleaner/deodorizer.

A couple of my friends have bought them after seeing how great mine are.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

We have a top-load HE washer - Whirlpool Cabrio. The cabinets in our laundry room come down too far for the front loaders with the little drawer underneath to fit.

Had it about a year and so far, love it.