The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Red face Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Sorry. I never much "got" Seinfeld, but I will admit to completely loving that phrase when it comes to... um... non-traditional relationships.

So, on the farm, things are never really boring. Can get quite 'farmy' at times, as we all know. Circle of life and all. You know how it is, School Bus full of kindergarteners stops across the street just as the 11 month pregnant mare decides she needs to mount her daughter... Girl Scout Badge Day and the 2yo colt decides today is the day to be an exhibitionist... Elbow deep in sheath cleaning when the parents show up... That kind of thing.

I'm going to blame Earl for now for the odd occurance this afternoon.

My dog Eamon has been adjusting to life as a solo dog. He's been coming along on errands when I can (he is fine except when left in the vehicle alone--then he yelps like he's being skinned alive. Anyway.

He's adjusting. Sort of. I thought.

So I slept a little today, and then got up for a while. Eamon was being kind of mellow. I had the back door open to try to get some breeze. I was at the computer.

I heard Eamon bumping around like he was doing something he probably shouldn't be. I got up to investigate, and found him looking innocent (which means he wasn't) and Domhnaigh hanging with him. I had NOT heard any kitty protests (and Domhnaigh is quite vocal...) so just kind of chalked it up.

Until a about an hour later. I hear Eamon bumping around behind the computer chair. I turn around...

And he is 'holding' Domh between his front paws, and, erm... well... acting VERY inappropriately for a long-neutered male dog. MOST ESPECIALLY with a male CAT. No matter HOW Floofy that cat happens to be.

I mean, Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

Right?

Domh, for his part, seems to be enjoying the attention. He had every opportunity to get away, or bite, or claw, or... whatever. But no, Mr. Floof didn't seem to mind one bit.

Now, at this point I should remind everyone that Domhnaigh was considered to be a "she" for approximately the first six months of her(his) life. It was quite the paradigm shift when I discovered the cat who answered to "Prissy," "Missy," and "Princess" had... bumps.

But, which of the pair needs help here?

Later, when I woke up for my work shift, they were contentedly sleeping, erm... together. Domhnaigh was curled up right alongside Eamon.

I'm all for the companionship, especially since Eamon's been lonely.

But this is just a little... weird.

Isn't it?

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Well, so long as they both were having fun......

They do appear to fulfill criteria for "strange bedfellows"

Is it a case of "If you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with" or.... true love? or simply lusty opportunists? or just doing it to see how you'll react?

Don't ask. Don't tell. Don't take photos or video and post them on the internet.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Cats and dogs, living together!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Aw, c'mon! You know the YouTube denizens are just dying for a clip!

I mean, after the elephant...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Cats and dogs, living together!!
    THIS was my first reaction. It's one of my all time favorite movie lines.

No funny business today. Of course, because I had the camera ready.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

That was the final straw for my intact male Bernese Mountain Dog. After witnessing several incidents of the same scenario with one of my cats off to the vet he went!

Okay, that's not totally true. The final straw was really the day he trotted inside and lifted his leg on my ottoman right in front of me. That was the day that I realized his nuts had. to. go.

The breeder wasn't thrilled that we neutered him, but I figured we were better off doing it at 2 1/2 than waiting until one of my male cats gave birth to pittens (or would that be kuppies???) Obviously kidding, but I'm happy to say that post-neutering we've had no leg lifting or kitty humping incidents that I'm aware of!

At least your boy has companionship of some sort, right? And maybe it's even LOVE...there is that old saying....opposites attract!

My old (alpha) Bulldog and (omega) German Shepherd males would go outside and the Bulldog (he was kind of like Torchwood's Captain Jack - sexually omnivorous) would let the GSD hump him. I liked to yell, "NO HUMPING!" out the window at them just because they always would look guiltily towards the window while they did it.

Well, I hate to admit it, but Eamon and Domhnaigh would fit in quite well amongst our animals.

Teddy, our Yorkie, was given up by his former owner because of kitty rape. He continued his evil ways with one of our cats, but the other one refused his "affections." Until arthritis slowed him down, he basically humped everything in sight.

He loved our old tiny white Poodle/Maltese so much, he sucked her hair out (while humping her...).

Our new female Maltese loves everything male. Dog or cat -- doesn't matter. I'm just glad our miniature stallion is a bit too tall for her.

Our neutered poodle (neudle?) has always been quite the stud, and he and our female terrier mix were famous for going at it on the front porch when we lived in town. Hi neighbor! I didn't know neutered males could do what he does...

Then there are the horses. For awhile our corral looked like a conga line, with a 3-way moving hump and bump, 2 geldings and a stallion.

Compared to our pets, the humans around here are downright dull!
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Okay, I shouldn't have been drinking coffee when I read this .
    Quote Originally Posted by susanne View Post
    Well, I hate to admit it, but Eamon and Domhnaigh would fit in quite well amongst our animals.

Teddy, our Yorkie, was given up by his former owner because of kitty rape. He continued his evil ways with one of our cats, but the other one refused his "affections." Until arthritis slowed him down, he basically humped everything in sight.

He loved our old tiny white Poodle/Maltese so much, he sucked her hair out (while humping her...).

Our new female Maltese loves everything male. Dog or cat -- doesn't matter. I'm just glad our miniature stallion is a bit too tall for her.

Our neutered poodle (neudle?) has always been quite the stud, and he and our female terrier mix were famous for going at it on the front porch when we lived in town. Hi neighbor! I didn't know neutered males could do what he does...

Then there are the horses. For awhile our corral looked like a conga line, with a 3-way moving hump and bump, 2 geldings and a stallion.

Compared to our pets, the humans around here are downright dull!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

^ What she said....LOL!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Thank you all for a good laugh today. I'm still trying to get a mental image of the dog "doing it" with a cat, and coming up short.

My neice has a yorkie-poo that is madly in love with our elderly saintly brittany female dog, and he goes after her incessantly when they come to visit. The poor brittany sits there with a long-suffering look on her face, as if to say "will someone please do something about him already?" And yes, he is neutered. Sometimes I laugh because the brittany was known to take a liking to some of my nieces and my daughters friends in that way, so there is a tiny bit of karmic justice going on.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Default I think I just peed a little

That is hillarious!

I thought it was funny that my neutered cat has a stuffed cat that he drags around by the throat from room to room until he finds the right spot to start humping away. It's a little uncomfortable when I'm watching tv and he's on the floor doing the nasty with a stuffed animal

This thread totally made my day! Thanks for the laughs!

P.

My mother's daschund always molests the cats when he is at my house. My Jack Russell loves the kitties, but he doesnt' LOVE the kitties, thankfully. What he does LOVE is the giant stuffed goat that I picked up on the cheap at TSC. We call it crusty and it mostly lives stuffed in a bag in a closet until Tanner (JRT) finds it and drags it out again.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

This thread is giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "the love that dare not speak its name"

My friend had a female dog (retriever/setter cross, so not small!) that routinely would do the same to her male cat.... We thought everyone was mixed up...

My dog (neutered male) does not try this with anything except his stuffed elephant. And then, only after an exceptionally good meal. When we see him doing it, we know the meal was "humpalicious"
    Last edited by foggybok; Sep. 7, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

WOW.

ROFLMAO!
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Less disturbing than the cat humping the dog, I'm thinking.

Does that reveal my speciesist tendencies?

You can imagine the comments we'd make about the horse that really enjoyed licking kitties!