The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter/Jumper Barns Near St. Louis?

Hi everyone,
    Wow, it sure has been awhile since I posted on here! It's been a busy summer, and both of my girls are doing great. I'll try to get some updated pictures on here soon. Anyway, unfortunately my mother has become ill and I have decided to spend the winter (tenatively Oct 1-April 1) with her in St. Louis. I used to live there, and boarded and lessoned at different barns, but it's been 6 years since I was a part of the horse scene down there and I'm sure things have changed. I am looking for a barn for my two mares.

Here are my ideal boarding stable qualities:
    -Less than 45 minutes from downtown St. Louis
    -Hunter/Jumper focused, ideally with a dressage trainer available as well
    -I need a place where horses don't have to be in training, since my Arab is older and semiretired
    -Large, ideally grass turnouts and generous turnout time are a must
    -Access to trails would be fantastic, but isn't absolutely necessary

Any and all information on which places are nice and which places to avoid would be appreciated! I am actually a little excited, since the St. Louis winter is shorter and milder than here in Chicago, so I should get to do a lot of riding this winter.

Thanks in advance!

Contact the Tack Trunk, 636-812-0146. They have a current list of barns and trainers available, perhaps they would fax it to you. Try the H/J website, www.mohjo.org, there's a partial list there. Some barns charge an activity fee, so be sure to ask.

I just started a website for my trainer in hopes of generating a larger client base. Visit tmlequestrian.com for more info. We are based out of Castlewood Stables (link on the website) which backs up to one of the largest parks in St. Louis with full access to trails. It is in Ballwin MO which from downtown is probably 30 min at most. Castlewood offers full board without requiring training, has several LARGE paddocks for turnout, 1 slightly smaller turnout directly behind one barn, stalls with runs or stalls opening to a dirt turnout, and several smaller dirt runs for short turnouts. Large outdoor arena and amazing new indoor arena. All pictures are on their site. My trainer's info can be found on her website but she is fantastic, really works with you and your horse and you can choose how much and how often you train with her and/or she rides your horse. Check it out and PM me if you have more questions! Her direct contact info is on the site as well.

I few I can think of that kinda fit what you want:

Mark Harrell's barn (Caseyville)--just over the river from St.L and right off the interchange of 255 and 64. There isn't a lot of turnout, but there is an indoor ring, and hunter (and western) trainer, and you don't have to be in a training program.

The Riding Center (Freeburg)--I don't know much about it firsthand, but I do know that it has trails (and lots of Arabians .

Cornerstone Farm (Troy)--not too far from St.L off of 55/40. A low-key hunter barn with lots of kids.

Feel free to PM me for more info (I've ridden here for about 19 years).
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Thanks guys! I will look into all of the above after the holiday, and please keep the ideas coming. Even if a barn doesn't perfectly fit my requirements, but it offers excellent care, feel free to toss their name in! There are so many new barns since I was a kid that trying to narrow down a list of places to visit is daunting!

I live in St. Louis and I've boarded and had lessons at several different H/J Barns. Go to Dublin Farms. http://www.dublinfarms.net/

It's one of the very few barns in the area that has a huge grass daily turnout. Professional "A" Show Trainer, beautiful outdoor, large stalls, good care, area to train and jump on grass, 45 acres to ride on, indoor arena, etc
    Last edited by equinkel; Sep. 6, 2010 at 01:42 PM.

If Dublin isn't too far, I would check out Irish Fox Stables (www.irishfoxstables.com).
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffie View Post
    If Dublin isn't too far, I would check out Irish Fox Stables (www.irishfoxstables.com).
    I've thought about Irish Fox myself but it's too far for me. That's how I ended up where I am at (where I am very happy), my old trainer moved to Washington MO and I just can't make the commute.

Bumping just once, because the Lake St. Louis thread is at the top.

I haven't been in the scene in STL in a good number of years, but you might ring up Baskin Farms and Kennedy Farms out in the Chesterfield area.

There's Kennedy Equestrian Enterprise as well (or there was a few years back), but I don't know anything about it.

Former "A Show" circuiter from Missouri here. I add votes for either Irish Fox (John Kornack) or KEE Inc (Katana O'Brien)

They are the nicest of the barn and best trainers in my opinion. Good luck!

N

Quote Originally Posted by SmileItLooksGoodOnYou View Post
    I haven't been in the scene in STL in a good number of years, but you might ring up Baskin Farms and Kennedy Farms out in the Chesterfield area.

There's Kennedy Equestrian Enterprise as well (or there was a few years back), but I don't know anything about it.
    2nd Kennedy Farms

Some of the nicest barns in the area are Kee with Katana O'Brien, Irish Fox, and Baskin Farms. They all charge an activity fee and tend to be more show centered, so they may not be what you want.

If you want a nice barn that does not have an activity fee but still has decent trainers for jumping and I believe also for dressage, you should check out: http://spiritvalleyfarms.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I am familiar with most of the barns in the area.
    Last edited by paris35; Sep. 9, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: wrong link

We offer high quality care with plenty of turn out and room to ride. We are 40 miles from St. Louis.

http://whitebrookesporthorses.webs.com
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day.

Quote Originally Posted by paris35 View Post
    Some of the nicest barns in the area are Kee with Katana O'Brien, Irish Fox, and Baskin Farms. They all charge an activity fee and tend to be more show centered, so they may not be what you want.

If you want a nice barn that does not have an activity fee but still has decent trainers for jumping and I believe also for dressage, you should check out: http://spiritvalleyfarms.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I am familiar with most of the barns in the area.
    Spirit Valley is now under new management and is now called Pemberley Equestrian Center. Boarding and a h/j lesson program with some local and rated showing.
    www.pemberleychesterfield.com
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)