The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB stallion Rather Well

Default 2x Umidwar, plus Udaipur

Umidwar (Raja Baba and Iron Ruler)
    Udaipur (Somali)
    Teddy
    Percentage
    Prince John
    Tourbillon
    My Babu
    Mahmoud
    Rabelais
    Blanford
    No Mr. Prospector
    No Native Dancer
    No Northern Dancer

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You forgot to mention Hawaii and Never Bend, who are eventers' favorites.

He's definitely got all three of the foundation sires on the first page plus one for the mares.

Very nice on paper, and if he has competed in eventing to advanced, we should all learn more about him.

Very nice find. Perhaps some of the Canadians can tell us more about him.

Fred?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I owned Rather Well's dam - Copy the Roses - and leased her to Garry Roque who bred her to his stallion Raj Kapoor and Rather Well was the result

By all accounts this stallion is incredibly nice - not only in temperament but in his ability as well, having competed successfully up to Advanced Level eventing

I dont know what his offspring are doing - havent really heard of what level they are competing at or how successfully

My mare was an incredibly good mover and as good as she well, Raj was even better. We never jumped my mare but again - Raj blew you away with his ability over jumps

A nice nice stallion in every possible way ...

I am sure the owner would respond but she is busy organizing the Ontario Horse Trials Championship this weekend.

I have admired this horse for a long time!

He has a very good pedigree overlapping with AFR with the Raja Baba/Bold Ruler/Missy Baba connection.
    I also liked Avies Copy a lot and went to see him when I was looking at stallions to breed AFR's dam to. He was a nice individual and a good racehorse.
    I also went to see Raj Kapoor before Garry Roque owned him, and liked him as well.

Rather Well has proven his athleticism by competing successfully at Advanced, and as well as his talent, is known for his honesty and courage.
    He is a Gold Premium Canadian Sport Horse stallion.
    I really like him a lot.

For some reason, I thought his dam was owned by Special Effects? I remember her being advertised in the Horse Trader, and calling up about her many years ago.
    I was thinking about her as a mare to breed to Fred. I guess I should have bought her!!!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Thumbs up

Here is his contact info www.ratherwell.com
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Thanks for the kind comments Donna and Gail. I own Rather Well and I think he's pretty special, but I'll admit I'm biased He competed up to advanced and completed two CIC***'s - The Fork and Wit's End. Finances and the fact that he owes me nothing has meant that he is retired from that level. He has carted a couple of young riders around training and prelim since and he still loves cross country the best! (In fact, in his entire career, he only had cross country jump faults once at prelim, once at intermediate and never at advanced.....also a testament to his rider - the very talented Karl Slezak!)

He has a couple of daughter's competing very successfully at the prelim level and one of them competed in her first intermediate and finished second. There are quite a few competing at training and then some at pretraining (novice) and below. He has a nice bunch of babies coming up - yearlings to three and four year olds.

He has got an amazing temperament, nice movement and a huge heart. If you want any more information or to be directed to some photos of him competing, please pm me.......

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to refresh it to see if there was any current feedback on Rather Well progeny, especially updates on how the babies that were yearlings-4yrs old, 2.5 years later.
    Thanks!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Janette posts updates about Rather Well and his get on his facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rather...ref=ts&fref=ts

Lots of pictures from last year, and it looks like two are out eventing this year already. Imagine we'll get more as the season really warms up!