The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Strategy Healthy Edge

It's a complete feed. I found some today while feed buying and picked up a couple of bags.

Anyone have any opinions on it? I'm wondering what the NSC is for it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I fed it to my mare because I got a free bag and a coupon for buy 4 get one free.....After that feed was gone, I switched quickly to another locally milled feed.

I had to feed my mare almost twice the amount of that to maintain her weight. She is sensitive to carbs apparently.....she started going fruitbat nutty on me......I finally realized it was the feed! I switched and within a week, she was super mellow and non spooky. .....Definitely keeping her off of higher carb feeds.

I am now feeding her 1.5-3 pounds a day as needed of a local feed. She is looking better and doing better. I am happy finally.

I just could not find a Purina product to feed her.....won't feed it again.

The Healthy Edge is misleading in its name. I didn't like it at all. I don't know the NSC for it, but I am sure it is high!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Just read the label again. Stuff is NOT a complete feed.

I'm going to use up these bags and switch to something less expensive.

Good Luck.
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

What is supposed to be the difference between the Healthy Edge and the GX formula? From the bit I've looked at them, the Healthy Edge seems to have slightly higher quality ingredients, but nothing really of note different between them? The feeding recommendations are slightly lower on the Healthy Edge, but I'm not really getting that as the (guarenteed) nutrient levels are identical.

The Differences of the two types of Strategy:
    (From Purina's Website)

Healthy Edge
    CRUDE PROTEIN MIN 12.50 %
    LYSINE MIN 0.90 %
    CRUDE FAT MAX 8.00 %
    CRUDE FIBER MIN 18.00 %
    CALCIUM (CA) MIN 1.10 %
    CALCIUM (CA) MAX 1.30 %
    PHOSPHORUS (P) MIN 0.60% PPM
    COPPER (CU) MIN 80 PPM
    SELENIUM (SE) MIN 0.60 PPM
    ZINC (ZN) MIN 280 PPM
    VITAMIN A MIN 3000 IU/LB
    VITAMIN E MIN 125 IU/LB

GX
    CRUDE PROTEIN MIN 14.00 %
    CRUDE FAT MIN 6.50 %
    CRUDE FIBER MAX 12.50 %
    CALCIUM (CA) MIN 1.00 %
    CALCIUM (CA) MAX 1.30 %
    PHOSPHORUS (P) MIN 0.60 %
    COPPER (CU) MIN 80 PPM
    SELENIUM (SE) MIN 0.60 PPM
    ZINC (ZN) MIN 280 PPM
    VITAMIN A MIN 3000 IU/LB
    VITAMIN E MIN 125 IU/LB
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

This is off the website. Total sugar/starch is 18% so I'm guessing that is the NSC level?

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/ste...d2-0033337.pdf

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by cashado View Post
    This is off the website. Total sugar/starch is 18% so I'm guessing that is the NSC level?

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/ste...d2-0033337.pdf
    I called purina and it is 18% NSC. I acutally kinda like this feed but my local purina dealers have not ordered any yet. read a label at a customers place and thought I might try it if the stores around here decide to carry it.
    George Spear
    CNBBT, CNBF, CLS
    www.NBhoofcare.com

I also believe it has 30% fewer calories than GSX. It is called Strategy Lite by the feed rep I met.

I like the formula. It just didn't work for my horse!

According to the Purina Technical person I talked to, Healthy Edge is designed for the easy keeper. It really interested me because my easy keeper could only have a handful of Ultium per feeding, and I had to supplement with SmartPak products, which he mostly left in his feed bucket. The Healthy Edge has Amplify included. Amplify is a pelleted vitamin/mineral product that horses readily eat. With the Healthy Edge, he gets a pound three times a day. I was spending $120.00 a month for the SmartPak products.

If it's designed to be fed at lower levels, then why isn't the nutrition more concentrated though? That's what concerned me. Unfortunately it's not an option for me cause they had to stick that bit of corn in there. I was pretty interested until I discovered that.

i have been feeding purina products for over 10 years. i switched to the healthy edge about 5 months ago. my horses coats look wonderful, their weight is great, even have had to cut back on mine, but i have really good grass as well.but i really do like the new feed. mine are not hot on this feed. but not all feeds affect horses the same way, you just have to find what works for you and your horse. just because it does not work for you does not mean it is a bad feed.i like the higher fat/ lower protein for mine.and i was also feeding the amplify as a supplement, so just a bonus that it is now in the feed.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

We've been feeding about 5 different horses Healthy Edge at my barn since the beginning of the summer. I was out of town for several weeks at a time, and I must say that upon return the second time, I was struck with the glossy coats and nice weights on all of those horses.

Also my spooky, wussy guy has been quite calm lately. I had been ascribing this to some changes in his training, but now that I think about it, the feed could be having an effect too. At the least, it isn't causing any issues.

Overall we are very pleased.

I switched over to it a couple of months from TC Complete. I like the feed, the horses love the feed. However, as someone said it is a bit low-cal. My tb was up to 9 pounds a day, my easier keeper got 3 pounds/day. So I switched to regular strategy we'll see how that goes. I'm trying to use only one feed and then add vitamin or oil depending on how much they eat.

Be careful and weigh it, it is a very dense feed.

wanted to add, mine are all only getting 3/4 to 1 full scoop 2x day. and they all are looking great, even the old guys have dapples. very pleased with the feed.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

I would recommend that everyone become label readers. It's amazing the amt of BS is written or advertised, and what's really in a bag. When I had my horses at home, they always got the feed that had oats as the first ingredient, not middlings, byproducts, or corn. You know the saying "garbage in, garbage out".

It is interesting to read everyone experience ... I have been an avid Strategy lover and just switched to this "new" feed. I feel that my gelding is a bit more high then normal BUT this also might be because he is in a stall in the barn right now while they are fixing his stall/paddock.

I will probably keep him on this feed through the winter to see how I like it and then see how he is when he goes back to his "home".

I am not a good "vitamin" expert- maybe someone who is better at that can tell me what benefits this feed has? My gelding is an "easy-er" keeper and is on a half alfalfa and half grass hay diet, gets "grained" at night (with cosaquin, B1, bug check and flax), he is ridden 3 ish days a week and turned out another 3 days a week.

Thanks!
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

I am now all switched over from Strategy GX and Ultium to the Healthy Edge. The HE is $12.99 a bag versus $19.20 for the Ultium and so far everyone is doing great and they look fantastic. The coupons are an added bonus!

The Purina rep told me that HE is 1300 cal per pound versus 1500 for Strategy and 1900 for Ultium. Troops is an easy keeper so the lower cals are nice for him. The added fat is nice too. Everyone seems to love it and they look great.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

As Princessfluffybritches said: Read your label. Read the ACTUAL ingredients. There does not seem to be fixed formula in Purina feeds, they use in their feed whatever the cheapest grain by product is for that week of milling (my opinion) and notice you cannot find the actual ingredients anywhere except on the tags on their bags. Which sit in storage longer than they should.

I have only fed Purina when there was no other choice- no other choice but cow feed. I won't feed Purina dog or cat food to my pets for the same reason. There's nothing in there that will hurt your animal, IMO they are just very over-priced for the actual quality of ingredients they use.

Coupons? Where can we get coupons?