The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hockey...

How about something that is actually WORTH arguing about???
    HOCKEY... YEP... the Good "old" NHL & AHL...
    Yeah... From a girls prospective... I am so excited the season will be starting soon.... all those beautiful men kicking the crap out of each other on the ice.... God I LOVE Hockey....
    Makes me remember why I love Canada....
    and here's something that I have been told is a "big blasphemy"
    My TWO most favorite NHL teams.. are Boston Bruins,
    and Montreal Canadiens.... I LOVE THEM BOTH.

All I have to say to this is ICK!!!! I come from a hockey town, and hockey towns have two types of people: those who love the game and those who loathe it. I fall into the latter category and am less than enthused about the upcoming season and the havoc it will wreak with the tv schedule in the evenings; I refused to go sit in a cold hockey rink to watch guys sliding around on ice fighting with sticks over a round hunk of rubber and it ain't happening on my tv either.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I'm so excited! I'm a diehard Sabres fan here... can't wait for the season opener.

I can only truly love the Sabres, but there are other teams I like comparatively, as long as we're not playing them... I like Montreal and other Canadian teams, with the exception of Toronto and Ottawa, but hate Canadian fans in general--every time I go to a Sabres game where we're playing a Canadian team, I almost get in a fight. I get feisty at hockey games with a few beers in me. d; I also like Chicago a lot (Pat Kane grew up around the corner from my house--he was just here with the Stanley Cup last week; filled it with blue cheese and dipped wings in it), Boston (less now after they beat us in the playoffs last year) and Pittsburgh. Then I like any remaining northern team, then I hate southern teams (which really should just not exist), Toronto and Ottawa. (:

Then I like any remaining northern team, then I hate southern teams (which really should just not exist), Toronto and Ottawa. (:
    Aw, don't go hating on the southern teams.
    GO CANES!!!!

I'm sorry, but there's no reason for anyone to be playing hockey in a state where the ponds don't freeze. d;

Default Some things you can explain, some things you just need to experience

When I was a freshman in college, I attended college in a northern state one tier down from those Canadian border states where hockey and other winter sports were important. (The winters were maybe snowier and at least as brutal there but who can account for what catches on? Two decades before women's athletics were treated seriously anywhere else including the east coast and the west coast, in that state women's high school basketball was a statewide obsession, and the women's high school state championship was followed closely by everyone and covered on the front pages of the single statewide newspaper.)

One night during the winter I was listening to AM radio on a Clear Channel station with a format that carried major broadcasts rather than just music. The state high school hockey championships -- in those days only men had teams -- were being broadcast because those were a big deal where I came from. About 11PM on a weekend night, I heard that my high school had won the state hockey championship.

In 11th and 12th grade I played 'sandlot' (no-lift no-check) hockey myself and had always gone to my high school's games. Learning the news, I was so excited that I ran out into the hall and stopped the first two people I saw, eagerly telling them that my high school has just won the state high school hockey championship.

The first guy looked blank.

The second guy said: "Hockey? That's the game with those little round black things on ice, right?"

::Sigh::
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Use to 'date' if you know what I mean a guy from the Toronto Maple Leafs...

Oh ya, and you know what Canadian's do it doggy style? So they can both watch the hockey game

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I'm sorry, but there's no reason for anyone to be playing hockey in a state where the ponds don't freeze. d;
    *giggle* Exactly.
    But I do have to say some of those "southern" teams are good for fights....
    I sooo miss the old days... Bobby Orr... the jokes.. "went to a Fight and a Hockey game broke out" I miss those days...
    I admit I watch because some of those players are pretty darn cute... Tuuka Rask... don't know why, but I always seem to have a thing for goalies.... So I watch for the guys and the fights... and sometimes... there are really good fights.
    and I must say Marc Savard has really nice eyes. *swoon*
    ROFLMBO

I don't dislike or like hockey, but a bit of useless information is that, the legendary Bobby Orr, is my cousin

Heather

I have a latent bloodthirst that only comes out in hockey season... I love the fights. I was at the Sabres game a couple years ago against Ottawa where they had a dirty hit on Chris Drury that didn't get called and when they restarted, it turned into a full-on brawl on the ice with every player--even the goalies came out and started fighting each other. We were on our feet screaming for half an hour while they tried to sort out penalties. It was fabulous.

On cute players... I like Paul Gaustad. Ryan Miller is also dreamy when you look at him from an angle and when he's on the ice. (:

Quote Originally Posted by moodymaretoo View Post
    How about something that is actually WORTH arguing about???
    HOCKEY... YEP... the Good "old" NHL & AHL...
    Yeah... From a girls prospective... I am so excited the season will be starting soon.... all those beautiful men kicking the crap out of each other on the ice.... God I LOVE Hockey....
    Makes me remember why I love Canada....
    and here's something that I have been told is a "big blasphemy"
    My TWO most favorite NHL teams.. are Boston Bruins,
    and Montreal Canadiens.... I LOVE THEM BOTH.
    Being from Columbus... LET'S GO BLUE JACKETS!

I'm right with you on hating the summer season. I have no hockey. I am sad

Once pre-season starts, I am happy

Hopefully Arniel can mold the CBJs into the aggressively offensive team I know they can be. And maybe Mason can shake off the sophmore curse!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivermeer View Post
    I don't dislike or like hockey, but a bit of useless information is that, the legendary Bobby Orr, is my cousin

Heather
    WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Rivermeer View Post

Heather
    I seem to dimly recall that Bobby Orr was said to be a pretty nice guy and won as many friends from making himself available to the fans as from his skills on the ice. (Back in the days when athletes didn't charge kids for autographs, etc.)

Of course that also could have been PR, though the PR machines weren't quite so established back then. Is he really a nice guy?

I really can't remember, the last time I met him was at a family reunion in Canada, but I was a child. And that was a long time ago. I will have to ask my mom next time I talk to her.

Heather

Default Raging Habs fan here!!

I love hockey! Growing up we had golds at Maple Leaf Gardens and reds at the Montreal Forum. The new buildings just aren't the same. I can still remember the smell of the Forum and I get a little misty thinking about the time I have spent in that building. My dad and I still have "hockey night" when we get the chance.

I am over dating hockey players though

For those that don't love the game....check out Henrik Lundqvist.....he might change your mind:

http://hlundqvist.blogspot.com/2010/...sts-style.html
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I am over dating hockey players though
    So what's wrong with hockey players as dates?

Any other hockey players out there, or just fans?

I'm a big college hockey fan, and NJ Devils fan. Also a goalie, which makes a lot of the guys go:

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    So what's wrong with hockey players as dates?
    Well, they are fun but they never grow up (mostly) and I sure as hell would never have married one! It gets pretty hard to compete with the 19 year old puck bunnies once your past 25! I have met some that were decent, nice guys but they sure are the exception.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Okay, fair enough.

Then again who really wants to grow up? (My problem was that I 'grew up' at about age 10, and have regretted and been hoping to make up for it ever since.)

There is one thing. It sounds as if you may be hinting that "fun" and "decent, nice guys" are almost mutually exclusive. That's a little depressing, speaking as a decent, nice guy (or so I've been told, sometimes in my insufficiently misspent youth by young women who were turning me down for a date).

I grew up in Florida, never watched a second of hockey in my life. Then I fell in love with an avid hockey player during college & moved to Massachusetts in the mid 1980's. It took me some time to learn to appreciate the smelly passion that took my husband away from me several nights or early mornings a week, but now I'm head over heels with the sport. Hubby plays at least 3x a week in an amateur A league, all three of my daughters play, and we are HUGE Bruins fans. I'm actually (gulp?!) considering doing a women's learn to play hockey league starting next month. It's such an exciting sport, I LOVE it! It's fast & fierce, and never boring like some other sports (COUGH COUGH...baseball...COUGH) Did someone say they wouldn't date a hockey player?!! Hockey players are HOT, and tough...and real men, and did I mention hot?! lol I adore my hockey hubby!

My small piece of useless information. Years ago when I was young & newly married, (and blase' about hockey), I worked for a Boston Area advertising company. They contracted Bobby Orr to do PR for them on some of their big accounts. I actually met him on several occasions at work functions & even watched a couple of games at the Garden in his luxury box. I had NO idea at the time that I was in the presence of such greatness. I was like... "Bobby who? Oh yeah...the hockey player". DUH! I do have to say he was a very nice, down to earth, normal guy.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.