The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AQHA non pro fences

Can anyone tell me the non pro divisions? Is there more than one division for non pro over fences? I show Apps, and there is just one non pro class at 2'6". Wondering if the AQHA has more to offer.

Besides the youth classes, technically a non-pro can go in any fence class as long as the horse is eligible and you or a member of your family own the horse. There's green (I think the horse hasn't won 25 points over fences), progressive (I can't quite get this one, lol) Junior (horse - 5 or 6 years and younger), Senior (horse older than 5 or 6). Then there's Novice Am & Amateur. I believe this is the way it goes.

They don't do "divisions" at AQHA shows. They have one amatuer (non-pro) class, they can also have novice non-pro (under 25 points in that event) but it is rarely ever offered over fences. You can as the previous poster said do the open classes, green, open (or jr/sr, but rarely split in over fences) and progressive (kind of like a "low" class). But these are all individual classes, not divisions. As prevosuly stated amateur must be OWNED by the amateur or member of family (there is a way to "lease" a horse, is in the rulebook how that works, but must be recorded with aqha). Also, altho not part of a "division" there is amateur EQ over fences, this is only and amateur and youth class, there is no "open" EQ.

It probably depends on your area as to the numbers and splits in the classes. Here in NY, there is a split between the Jr. & Sr. horses over fences (they're both big classes) and the Novice Am is split from the Amateur, both O/F and Eq. O/F. The Amateur is MUCH larger than the NA though. You'll also see mostly pros in the Green, Progressive and Jr. & Sr. They also have quite large Hunter Hack classes (both NA and A).

Yeah LeisaA I WISH we had numbers to have the splits etc, but we are LUCKY to make a point class! And I have two youth riders to get qualified for world next year in the youth O/F classes, they are just getting started and we have very few show options.

Thanks you guys. Sounds similar to the ApHC, fences classes are weak here too. But I like being able to go to h/j shows, find a ApHC show or two to qualify, then go to the ApHC World since it is right here in Texas. I love the modern Quarter Horses and Apps, and don't understand why there is not more interest in the breed shows, especially since the "headset mindset" is improving!

At the bigger Circuit shows in Texas and Oklahoma, you will find much larger over fences classes. They have youth, Amatuer, sometimes Select Ammy (50 and over), Green, Progressive, Junior and Senior. I qualified my guy for last year's Open Jumpers in like 2 shows.

The Hunter classes are usually pretty big at the Redbud and the Oklahoma Spring show.

Bobbi

Select Ammy would be fun for me... I am 58 and my definition of "showing against kids" is getting very broad! How high are the jumps in Select Ammy? Do they set the lines at 12'?

ToTheNines: The Select Amateur World Championships ( for riders 50 and older) are going on this week in Amarillo. If you go to www.aqha.com you can find the live webcast. All the over fences classes are on Saturday--working hunter, eq over and hunter hack. There are about 10-12 competitors in each class and you'll get to see what your competition would be like. The fences are generally 2'9"-3' and the lines will be no longer than 12'. {Cheer on Lark's Happy Days and Lori Bucholz!} I can guarantee that it is a competition like no other you have experienced. The select folks are friends with each other and cheer one another on and are genuinely good people. I hope you try it!

Thanks Sparky, that sounds fun. I will check it out.

I just now returned from a visit to the Select World Show in Amarillo. I will definately go and show there in Hunter Hack if I can get the horse ready. The arena conditions are good, all the exhibitors and show mgmt are very friendly, and my friend and I did not buy dinner once - there was a wonderful reception and buffet at the AQHA Museum, and a show sponsor had another buffet the other nights.

I saw several 70 year olds showing and Suzanne Jones (well past 80) cantering around on her english horse. I learned that once you are past 70 years old, the qualitying points are cut in half. The halter classes were sort of interesting with many lame exhibitors trying to trot their sound horses. Some horses were trained to trot VERY slowly while their handlers walked as fast as they could.

Sorry Sparky, Lori Buckholtz was never at the stalls when I went by.

My new favorite event is Team Sorting - what a lot of fun that looks to be.

Select show Page (live webcast button at top left):http://www.aqha.com/showing/shows/selectshow/index.html
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

plumcreek, thank you for the heartwarming report. I see sort of the same thing at the App shows. Stuff you can do forever, which I'm not sure I can say about jumping around a course. My gosh, Suzanne Jones. When I was a teenager in Dallas in the 60's riding at Preston Trails, some of the other girls had been to her camp in New Mexico. Some had horses from there. The horse of my dreams at that time was from her.

I may have to go get me a Quarter Horse. I want one that moves like Hunt Coats Required.

To qualify for the select worlds, do you have to get points in the select classes at regular shows or do amateur points count for select world qualifying? For example, the QH shows in my area would never have select WH but might have ammy WH. If I got a point in that, would it count towards the select qualifying total?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapple Dawn Farm View Post
    To qualify for the select worlds, do you have to get points in the select classes at regular shows or do amateur points count for select world qualifying? For example, the QH shows in my area would never have select WH but might have ammy WH. If I got a point in that, would it count towards the select qualifying total?
    Both amateur and select amateur class points count for the Select World Show.
    They kinda have to, as often the select class is combined into the amateur at a show with low entries.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com