The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen pastern?

My horse's right front pastern has been swollen for the past two days. It doesn't seems like there's any heat, it's not sensitive and he doesn't appear to be lame. It's just noticeably bigger than the other leg. We're going through a heat wave right now and it's too hot to ride, and he's been kept inside for the hotter parts of the day. The leg doesn't seem to bother him at all. Any ideas on what could have caused this/ what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by pony hunter - xo View Post
    My horse's right front pastern has been swollen for the past two days. It doesn't seems like there's any heat, it's not sensitive and he doesn't appear to be lame. It's just noticeably bigger than the other leg. We're going through a heat wave right now and it's too hot to ride, and he's been kept inside for the hotter parts of the day. The leg doesn't seem to bother him at all. Any ideas on what could have caused this/ what to do?
    It could be an insect bite or the start of a fungal thing.

That said, I much prefer "explained" swelling to "unexplained" swelling: ie, a swollen leg with a cut on it as opposed to a randomly swollen leg. The former is more ok in my eyes because I know what is likely to be causing it; with the latter I worry that maybe something is going on in the soft tissue and that an ultrasound might be in order.

I did have a horse who was completely not lame or swollen AT ALL and who was in full work palpate positive for a fledgling suspensory (which was confirmed by ultrasound). The only reason we caught it was that the vet was coming to do routine hock injections and did a very thorough pre-injection exam. But, because we DID, he had two weeks of stall rest and a gradual return to work over a month, instead of six months of stall rest and all of the etc.

same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. no need to have a panic attack and whip out the poultice like i did, just walk him/her around to get the blood flowing and check the hoof (i use durasole, it's great for the hoof and i believe it has some disinfecting qualities about it). usually when the pastern swells, the origin is in the hoof. best of luck!