The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What type of professional to run electric underground to a waterer?

My autowaterer has a cut electric line, which I need to fix before winter.
    (No idea why it is cut, it was when I bought the place.)

The actual "electrician" side of this is pretty easy (hook up new line at the house and waterer). The 500' between though is a bit of a challenge, as it runs under a paved driveway, and would need to mark water lines, dig through the asphalt, etc. (ugh!!)

What sort of professional would you call first? Is this outside the purview of normal electricians?

Thanks!

My friend the electrician has his own company and they have a ditch digger, a big truck to dig deep holes and set post, all that.
    He ran the lines from the house to the barn and back to the well, set a pole there and ran an overhead line to the cattle working shed, etc.
    If you get a good electrical company, they will do everything for you.
    See who is working for contractors in your area.
    They generally do it all and are cheaper than those that do mostly residential calls.

An electrician should be able to test for continuity of the conductors, also measure the resistance to see if a specific conductor is broken

my thoughts are they placed a junction box below grade and wire nuted the conductors… the box has flooded causing the L1 (hot) conductor to fault.

most common spools of UF direct burial wire are in 250 ft boxes… so look for a junction box at about 240 to 245 feet from the house's breaker box

Default This ~ exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My friend the electrician has his own company and they have a ditch digger, a big truck to dig deep holes and set post, all that.
    He ran the lines from the house to the barn and back to the well, set a pole there and ran an overhead line to the cattle working shed, etc.
    If you get a good electrical company, they will do everything for you.
    See who is working for contractors in your area.
    They generally do it all and are cheaper than those that do mostly residential calls.
    This is what I have found also ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Call around to electricians and utility contractors, and the first question you ask is, "Do you have a ground fault detector to find a broken underground electrical wire?"

If they don't know what you are talking about, don't waste your or their time. With the right equipment, it's a simple job.

http://www.bettervalvelocator.com/gf...t-locator.html

It's cheaper to do it yourself - rent a ditch witch, dig a straight line from start to end point at least 4 foot deep, run PVC then pay an electrician to feed electrical lines thru the PVC and hook up both ends.

They'll need to know the length of the PVC so they can figure out how much power loss they'll have from start to end.
    Sandy in Fla.

Electrical contractor. And yes, ask what Tom King asked. Be better off to find a commercial type contractor not residential.