The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2013
    Posts
    170

    Default How to Address the Nobility

    Anyone know?

    My only authorities are Dorothy Sayers and Black Beauty.

    Bunter always addressed Lord Peter as "My Lord" and then like this: "Will your lordship require the car this afternoon?"

    On Downton Abbey I hear servants address Lord Grantham this way:
    "Good morning, your lordship. Will you require the car this afternoon?"

    So I wonder, which is correct?

    Should I post this on Horse and Hound?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,324

    Default

    It depends on your social standing...

    But I think it is a bit old fashioned to call the nobility 'your lordship'

    BTW, the royals have an official website, that also addresses the problem of how to address the royals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    3,011

    Default

    It depends on the rank of the title.

    "Sir" is a baronet/knight, and "Lady" for their wives.

    "My Lord" or "My Lady" is the common address when directly speaking to a member of the nobility from a baronet/baroness to a marquess/marchioness.

    A duke/duchess is addressed as "Your Grace."

    A prince/princess is "Your Royal Highness."

    A king/queen is "Your Majesty."

    Usually you only had the indirect address ("your lordship") from a lower servant, versus the "my Lord" address.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    We're Americans. We address them as Mr., Mrs., or Ms.


    18 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2013
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    We're Americans. We address them as Mr., Mrs., or Ms.
    Um, no. That much I do know. We don't curtsey to the Queen, but neither do we call a titled person by the incorrect title!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,324

    Default

    Are you planning on meeting the Royals?

    Yo, Wales! should be sufficient!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2008
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    I think a friendly "Yo" is always good, perhaps followed by a more familiar "Dude," if they seem to respond well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Um, no. That much I do know. We don't curtsey to the Queen, but neither do we call a titled person by the incorrect title!
    Why? Is it like with PhDs and they go batshit if you don't honor their significant personal achievements? Or, in the case of inherited titles, their outstanding bloodline?


    7 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,585

    Default

    We don't curtsy to the Queen?



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,848

    Default

    I'd curtsy to the Queen. She's a good rider and has Corgis. That alone is worth a reverence...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

    Graphite/Pastel Portraits


    8 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    We don't curtsy to the Queen?
    We're not her subjects.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    4,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    We're not her subjects.
    Right, but you'd still address her by her title, just as I might address Obama as Mr President even though he's not my president. The OP was presumably asking to ensure she knew the proper protocol, not because she wanted to see if she (or the characters in her story, or whatever) could get away with saying "Yo, Lizzy."
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2013
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    I think a friendly "Yo" is always good, perhaps followed by a more familiar "Dude," if they seem to respond well.



    Why? Is it like with PhDs and they go batshit if you don't honor their significant personal achievements? Or, in the case of inherited titles, their outstanding bloodline?



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Right, but you'd still address her by her title, just as I might address Obama as Mr President even though he's not my president. The OP was presumably asking to ensure she knew the proper protocol, not because she wanted to see if she (or the characters in her story, or whatever) could get away with saying "Yo, Lizzy."
    Oh, I agree . . . . but the question was why don't we curtsy to the Queen, not what will we call her when we meet her.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    We're not her subjects.
    Well, right, but what does that have to do with it? Is that accepted protocol by the Queen or us still fighting the Revolutionary War?

    When I was ...6? my parents took me on the QEII and had me curtsy to the Captain during the meet and greet and we weren't his subjects we were just guests on the ship. Still have the photo.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2005
    Location
    Southern California - Hemet
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    I learned as a child to curtsey in various situations to show respect to unfamiliar elders and people in positions of authority and I'm in my early 50s and originally from the Midwest. Things have definitely changed a lot since then, but if I were to meet Queen Elizabeth, I would probably curtsey out of sheer reflex.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2013
    Posts
    6

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    It depends on the rank of the title.

    "Sir" is a baronet/knight, and "Lady" for their wives.

    "My Lord" or "My Lady" is the common address when directly speaking to a member of the nobility from a baronet/baroness to a marquess/marchioness.

    A duke/duchess is addressed as "Your Grace."

    A prince/princess is "Your Royal Highness."

    A king/queen is "Your Majesty."

    Usually you only had the indirect address ("your lordship") from a lower servant, versus the "my Lord" address.
    This is correct but only for initial spoken address, thereafter it's either sir or ma'am in response to questions. If meeting the Queen of England (or one of the higher echelons of the royal family) in a formal situation you will be instructed never to ask questions



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2011
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    If I ever stumbled across the queen I would probably say "your Highness". Other royals, eh, not really. When I've met Senators and House Members, I've just used first names but that is probably because I view them as an employee of mine.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nous View Post
    This is correct but only for initial spoken address, thereafter it's either sir or ma'am in response to questions. If meeting the Queen of England (or one of the higher echelons of the royal family) in a formal situation you will be instructed never to ask questions
    How does that even work, conversationally?

    What a lonely life that people are instructed to never ask you anything and you have to carry every single conversation with regulated no input from other parties.

    My whole way of meeting people is to try to ask them questions and get them talking so I would feel terrible doing this!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    It's governed by time available. The problem is that a 2-way conversation will monopolize them, whilst a 1-way means they have time to say hello, show some interest and move on to the next person. Informal conversation would probably be different.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2004
    Posts
    6,829

    Default

    Americans don't curtsey or bow to anyone or any leader...this is why people had fits that Odumbo bowed to the Saudi's as a subservient person.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Collegiate Nobility - Can I stretch tree?
    By Spud&Saf in forum Eventing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep. 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
  2. Collegiate Nobility - Anyone stretched tree?
    By Spud&Saf in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
  3. Collegiate Nobility?
    By leahandpie in forum Eventing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr. 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
  4. Thank you note - who to address it to?
    By B Street Tango in forum Hunting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
  5. Do IT! Address to write
    By up-at-5 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr. 8, 2010, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness