The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else think that hair stylists have stopped doing what you want...

I am so tired of people not doing what I want with my hair. I have wavy thick hair that is really hard to deal with. The last 3 times I've had my hair cut they (2 different) they seem to do exactly what I say not to do. I can't tell what they are doing until they are done. I am wondering if they are trying to keep the old lady fashionable when it is NOT what I want. The wonderful woman that used to cut my hair has moved away. aahhhh
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

not hair cut but color i wanted a light -med blonde and she bleached it.I have never done bleaching so i had no idea. then when she said it was to light she needed to fix it, she did highlights and charged me for her mistake.

The Search To Find The Perfect Hairstylist is a long and arduous one. Once you find one... hang on to them very, very tightly and tip them very, very well.

I've found two in my life that I have loved. Thank GOD one of them is a recent find that is actually in my city for a change. He is $$$$$ (most expensive haircut EVER) but oh, he is worth it. My hair has gone from an unamanageable, stupid-looking frizzball to something approaching attractive. Woo hoo! His son did the color on it (per dad's suggestions!) and it looks utterly fabulous.

If it makes you feel any better, the only other stylist I liked is literally across the country in LA. Oh, but she was incredible. I honestly contemplated flying to LA every two months just to get my hair done but couldn't quite justify it!

Try having curly hair! Most hairdressers somehow have NO idea how to cut it right. If you cut it like straight hair you have the appearance of awful split ends and it just falls flat for the top half of your head.

I finally found someone that is wonderful (recommended by another website, naturallycurly.com) and I just got my favorite haircut EVER. It just falls wonderfully no matter what I do to it, which is the exact opposite of what I'm used to.

I pay more than any of my friends do for haircuts (usually ~$50 when I add in tip) but IMHO it's totally worth it. It may sound shallow, but having consistent good hair days has totally boosted my confidence.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I had my hair cut last month and I told they woman what I wanted and it was perfect. Well, aside from the 3 inches she took off

She did the style I wanted but kept making it shorter and shorter before I realized what she had done. Oh well, what can you do?

I just had mine cut and colored. Color is good, though the red streaks are not as red as I wanted but even the woman who does my hair thought it was going to come out a lot lot brighter, so no problem there. I did ask her to shorten the back and leave the front long, the problem is my bangs. She cut them WAY to short, even as I said I think that it's getting to short she keeps going. Well everyone (even my friend who is as tell you the truth even if you don't want to hear it) says it looks good. BUT I sill look in the mirror going grrrr! But they will grow back. So will still keep her

This is why my BFF is a gay hairdresser!!! He does my hair anytime I have anything "special" to do (ie job interviews as of late). He does exactly what I want when I want. Changes things up anytime I want. He does my daughters hair at least three or four times a week. It's great! I've never been good with hair. Since we became BFF's I've been looking fab!
    M

I have had my hair dresser since I was 16.

Too bad she is a continent away

So I go - when I visit family - once a year to a small country beauty shop.
    As a special treat I tell them to cut however. Last 2 times the cut lasted a year, this time it got to be a shorter cut, I think I might have to bite the bullet and go here to somebody for a touch up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my stylist she is amazing. I have super THICK hair and a LOT of it, and I look stupid with short hair and prefer long hair. So long thick hair is just heavy and hard to do. My stylist has helped by thinning it and putting some layers in my hair.

When I was in Europe for a year I REFUSED to go to anyone else. I got my hair cut in September right before I went and then when I went home at Christmas...first morning, first appt was the stylist. Then again when I got home this June. I will cry cry cry when I move and have to find another stylist.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Oh gosh...slightly off topic....but the last time I went to Mitchell's (I have an easy bob style...so just about anyone can do a decent job)...

By the time I got out of there I needed advil.

She would not quit yacking......okay, okay.

When I made the mistake of telling her I had horses.....it went from a nice "Do you know so and so" conversation (which I actually had boarded with the person)...to an on going dialouge about her niece who was a trainer.

By the time I got out of the chair...I knew everything about her niece..including her childhood, love life, training situation,....I had to stop and correct her on the mediocre cut a few times....she was too busy yacking to pay attention to detail.

She also thought I needed to board with the niece and that I should just pull up onto her property (which I actually do pass on my way to my barn) and check it out. "Just tell her that XXXX sent you"

And of course the next AM when I dried my hair...one side was about half an inch longer than the other. I just grabbed the scissors and cut it myself.

I love my colorist, but am none too crazy about the salon where I get it colored. Haircuts there are $45, even for just a trim, and I have a simple straight-across-all-one-length style, just at my shoulders or a little longer, with some wispy bangs that I touch up myself as needed. Not a $45 haircut, IMO. So I go to a local "chop shop" chain place for the cut. $15 bucks plus a $5 tip.

What really irks me about the salon where I get it colored is there is a charge for EVERYTHING. A blow dry is $30! Again, my hair does not require a blow dry and style.

After I've paid $115 for the color, tipped my colorist at least $30, plus $10 to her assistant, they can't friggin' dry my hair? Hand ME the blow dryer and I'll be out of your way in under 10 minutes. I have left there in February, in freezing temps, with wet hair on principle.

I won't leave because Shannon is such a fantastic colorist, and she is consistent. If she left, I'd follow her, but it's unlikely since she's been there 8 years and is a master color tech.

i just went to a new girl she is a friend of a friend and i love her. she did the color i wanted(last place i went to said it couldn't be done). it's pricey but worth it. the people there are great too, they ask the person what they like. one asked a girl to show her what her idea if a few inches was, so she could get the right length.I thought the communication was amazing.

I hate to say this but I think there's a direct correlation with the cost of a haircut/color and how satisfied you are. I have friends who constantly complain about their haircuts and how it's never done right - and they also pay like $25 for a haircut tops...

I adore my guy and he keeps my hair under control and looking great (and for a haircut, it's $45 pre-tip). And I refer people to him as much as I can...

I've had three really great hairstylists. The first one went out of the business (into tanning salons), the second into drugs (after using him for 18+ years), the third I was only able to use twice before he moved.

I moved to Kentucky and have run the gamut from $200 cut and highlight to $25 cut in Richmond. The $25 cut is the best since I moved here. Go figure.

My last hairdresser was wonderful, and was worth driving 25 miles each way for a cut, and worked at a cheaper place too. She got promoted to the head office and left me to the mercies of the local Walmart salon-which actually worked out well. When I moved here I was getting desperate and just walked in to a place next to my favorite grocery store and got very lucky with my current lady. She does a good job, and is so cute. She reminds me a lot of the Dolly Parton character in Steel Magnolias, and is so sweet.

Some hairdressers work at cheaper places because they actually earn more money with the foot traffic, and with walk-ins. The volume of clients can make a difference, and some expensive places have very restrictive rules for the workers that make it less desirable to work there. And a few places I've lived had expensive places that were always having some kind of drama that made it uncomfortable to go there (long, bizarre stories too).
    Last edited by JanM; Sep. 5, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    I hate to say this but I think there's a direct correlation with the cost of a haircut/color and how satisfied you are. I have friends who constantly complain about their haircuts and how it's never done right - and they also pay like $25 for a haircut tops...

I adore my guy and he keeps my hair under control and looking great (and for a haircut, it's $45 pre-tip). And I refer people to him as much as I can...
    I have to respectfully disagreee. I think I have tried almost all the very high end salons in the Phoenix metro area ($100 plus for a hair cut) and have had some absolutely disastrous experiences.

I have very fine, straight hair - a simple bob shows every single mistake and, believe me, there are usually many. Many years ago, I had a fabulous hair stylist who would take almost two hours to give me the perfect cut. I loved him and haven't been able to find any one else who could come close. On a recommendation from someone whose hair always looks incredible, I tried a guy who works at a $14.00 place - best cut I have had in years!!!

When my beloved stylist retired I went through several really bad cuts (expensive ones, too).

Then I took my son to the new barber. He did an excellent job and after talking to him, he revealed he'd had a full service salon in Morocco but didn't speak English well enough to get more than a Barber's license here in the US.

I started having him cut my hair and he does a great job. He's half the price of the bad cuts that I got before, he's five minutes away and I don't need an appointment! He doesn't do color, but I'm so pleased with how well he cuts hair I don't mind.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

i had a good cheaper one but then she went on mat leave and won't be back until may 2011.But by then I'll probably stay at me new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post

Mmm well, not necessarily. I've had everything from a $30 cut to well over $250. My current guy is around $200 a cut, not including tip, but I've been to places MORE expensive and hated, hated, hated the cut. One of the most expensive haircuts I ever got, I absolutely loathed.

On the flip side, my mom goes to SuperCuts or something and loves how they do her hair. She pays like $15 for a cut. She'd probably faint if she knew how much I paid for my hair!