The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My cat is dying. :(

And not in the "Oh, sweetie, everyone dies some day!" way. But in the "We're looking at 2-3 weeks" way.

Last week, we woke up one morning to discover a GIANT lump right in his arm pit. Hard, not soft and gushy like an abcess or something. We measured it at the vet's, and it was, no joke, 2'' long with a 1'' diameter. Absolutely disgusting. The vet didn't believe me that it just appeared overnight, but it did. We cuddle and snuggle with this cat all the time, and certainly would have noticed any lumps, even if he is fluffy.

His vet put him on a dose of Clavamox, with the cautionary warning that it probably wouldn't do anything and it would need to be removed.

Sunday evening, we noticed that the lump seemed to have disappeared! But Monday, when we brought him into the vet and they shaved him down, it turns out it had just kinda sunk down and spread out underneath his skin. In addition to there still being a little lump.

So we immediately brought him to our specialty hospital, and spoke to the GP vet there and took some x-rays and stuff....there were no masses on any of his organs, so she was really optimistic about him having a great life after removal. She aspirated it and sent the sample off to the lab, and we scheduled a consult with the surgeon.

Which was today. And it didn't go well. The surgeon said that the aspiration showed a pretty aggressive form of malignant cells, and that removal would give him probably another eight months. And the cost for those extra eight months would be almost $3,000.

We were prepared to spend $1,000, which is what they initially quoted...and probably would have even spent $3,000 if the prognosis was a little better. The surgeon called up our regular vet and chatted with her, and said that instead of the full removal, we could just cut the lump off at the surface and stitch him up, to improve quality of life. So we really got our hopes up.

But then I talked to our regular vet, who is one of the kindest and most realistic people I know. She said that she was terribly frustrated that the surgeon had gotten our hopes up, because just cutting off the lump at the surface, we were looking at MAYBE two months before it was back. And it would be $900 and a major surgery/recovery period. And that she would respect whatever choice we made, but she personally, were it her cat, would not do it. And that she thinks we're looking at maybe another couple of weeks.

So now the poor thing is wearing a toddler's t-shirt so that he doesn't have to wear the stupid elizabethan collar for his final days. He's already shunning his dry food, and we have to bribe him with baby food, nasty gooey canned food, and smelly tuna in order to get him to eat. And I somehow feel like even making it through the weekend is going to be tough for him. You can just tell he doesn't feel well.

It's all just happening so fast and I can't stop crying. He's 12 years old and never suffered a day of hardship in his life (except for an empty food bowl here or there! ) as he was born right in our bathroom to his feral momma, and never left. He's an absolute love, and as the vet tech at our usual vet said "We're all gonna cry when he goes, he's something special." And even though he's been poked and prodded and gone to the vet almost every day for the last week, plus has a giant bleeding tumor sticking out of his chest, he still purrs the second he sees you. He climbed right into the surgeon's lap today to give him kisses.

It's just so heartbreaking. At least with my other cats (and I've had many, as some of my "WHY THE F DO PEOPLE KEEP DUMPING CATS AT My HOUSE?!!" posts have explained) they just kinda got old and frail and then it was just clearly time for them to go. I've had like a week's notice for this guy. And it sucks because I know that the day I take him in for the final appt, he's going to be laying in my arms purring.

God, I'm sorry, this post kinda dragged out. I guess, can I just ask for some jingles for my poor Buddy cat, that his last couple weeks are relatively pain free and happy? He's got a little harem of three young female kitties who adore him, and are all very distressed that he's not feeling well.

Jingles for buddy and for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

My 17 year old (have him since he was 5 weeks old) cat had to have surgery last week. Just teeth but he was so dopey for almost the past week I thought I had really done him in by doing it (and it had to be done, he broke one of his fangs and it HURT).

Just yesterday, he really perked up and is completely back to normal. But believe me, MANY tears were shed up to, the day off, and several days after I had it done. Now the tears are over the bill ( well over $1000 ) but he's healthy otherwise so it was worth it to me.

Just love him while you can
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I have so many old and feeble animals right now I can hardly stand it. So I feel your pain and send Jingles for your Buddy. And hugs for you.

So sorry to hear about Buddy. We went through losing a cat about the same age (13ish) before Xmas last year and while we had way more notice, (he'd had health problems and was hard to keep weight on for a few years), by the time we realized just how bad he'd become, we had such a short time before the decision was made to PTS. Sid was completely "with it" the whole time, and that always makes it harder I think, when mentally they're all there and the same as always, but physically just can't keep on going.

Jingles for you and Buddy-cat.

Cat Poem
    (Linda Barnes)
    They will not go quietly,
    the cats who've shared our lives.
    In subtle ways they let us know
    their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think
    we hear a meow at the door.
    Or step back when we drop
    a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place
    the food dish used to be,
    and sometimes, coming home at night,
    we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends
    and a new food dish to fill,
    that one place in our hearts
    belongs to them and always will.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I'm so sorry. I personally, would probably fix him his favorite food, and then have him put to sleep, if he isn't eating anything else. I've had both a dog and cat with cancer put down because the vet said the tumor could rupture and cause them to bleed out internally, which would be a slow painful way to die. I just didn't want that happening. A peaceful death was a much better way to go.

*hugs* They're members of your family, and it is hard to watch them go through this. I still mourn for the 3 year old cat that we lost 3 years ago... I really miss her..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I am so sorry for both you and your kitty. I lost two cats a year apart at 9 and 10 and it royally sucks when they are quite young. Wishing you peace.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    I have so many old and feeble animals right now I can hardly stand it. So I feel your pain and send Jingles for your Buddy. And hugs for you.
    Oh, me too, and it's been so horrible. Somehow we ended up with a bunch of cats all the same age....two littermates from one year, then a young barn cat who came inside to have her surprise kittens (one of whom was Buddy), then a cat from a relative who couldn't keep him, etc. In the last year alone we've lost four....two from just old age, two from kidney issues. We also lost our 16 year old Beagle this winter, although his was a very quick process (got sick one day, was gone the next) and was very peaceful. Still sad.

It's hard because everyone in my family is an animal person, so we have a lot. (All rescues, five cats and three dogs right now, plus a house rabbit.) And so it seems like we're constantly losing them too, in the way that a person with just a single dog doesn't. -sigh-

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I'm so sorry. I personally, would probably fix him his favorite food, and then have him put to sleep, if he isn't eating anything else. I've had both a dog and cat with cancer put down because the vet said the tumor could rupture and cause them to bleed out internally, which would be a slow painful way to die. I just didn't want that happening. A peaceful death was a much better way to go.
    Because of the location, the vet doesn't feel like that is something to worry about.....but she also feels like we've got only a couple weeks left, so it's not like we're considering dragging it out for months, in which case she'd be more concerned.

Right now the goal is to just let him be a fat, happy cat for as long as he can be, even if he all he wants to eat is his delicious baby food. And then, when he stops eating (a completely unthinkable for our large 20lb boy!) we'll know it's time. Our vet is really great about those final visits...basically we just have to call and say "it's time, we're heading up" and she'll make room.

Jingles for Buddy, hugs for you. It's so hard to lose a member of the family - fur bearing or not. The special ones are that much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I am so sorry for both you and your kitty. I lost two cats a year apart at 9 and 10 and it royally sucks when they are quite young. Wishing you peace.
    Everyone keeps saying "Oh, he's an old boy at twelve, he's had a good life" and while I agree with the good life part, I keep thinking: "Old?! At twelve?! My cats live 'til 20!"

And thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes and thoughts. It's helpful sometimes to just let it all out and know that there are others out there who have gone through the exact same thing. My boyfriend is a little bewildered by the whole situation...he's only had a single dog in his entire life (at age twelve, he's 21 now) who's still happy and healthy, and I think he is a little overwhelmed by the amount of grief that I'm feeling, as he's never had to deal with it.

Buddy, meanwhile, is happily curled up on the pillow next to me, in his little t-shirt, sleeping and purring and occasionally reaching a paw out to touch me.

((Hugs))) and more ((Hugs)) for you and your kitty and this sudden illness. I have some pensioners here of the feline and canine sort and know of what you speak. It bites.

Awww I'm so sorry Going through these things is never ever fun. My mom's cat kinda went through the same thing...we woke up one morning and there was a sort of lesion that had appeared overnight. Since the poor thing was 17 at the time, the vets just euthed her that day. She lived a long life though and was a wonderful, wonderful kitty (especially for putting up with me as a toddler ). I was probably 8 when she passed, but it was still hard.

Major jingles for you and for your kitty. I hope you get to spend some quality cuddle time over the weekend *hugs*

My heart goes out to you.

Jingles for kitty! I know what you mean about 12, too. I lost a cat around that age and it just added to the unfairness.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

So sorry. I basically love my kitties better than about anything, and it's hard to see them off. dying early is even worse (and yes, I too regard 12 as pretty early -- mine make nearly 20 most of the time too.)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Jingles and hugs....
    "Just because you have the RIGHT to do something, it doesn't mean it's the RIGHT thing to do."

So sorry. Hope you enjoy every moment of your time together. I am sure he is very lucky to have you as his momma. It is so sad to lose them. But you will never lose your memories of all the wonderful times you have had together. Best wishes to you and kitty.

GoForAGallop,

I totally understand what you're going through. My 11 year old cat (who I've had since the day he was born) was recently diagnosed with possible lymphoma. We don't know for absolute sure because we have money issues and just the biopsy for diagnosis costs $200.

He was perfectly healthy until developing a lump on his neck (and, it turns out, in his chest). The vet put him on steroids which will keep him going for maybe a few months. If we could get the biopsy, we'd know if he's a candidate for surgery, which could give him longer but, of course would cost much more.

Anyway, I'm sending jingles for you and Buddy and hope that he stays around as long as he can (without suffering, of course.)
    Member of Book Worms Clique and proud member of INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES.
    Mr Wigglebottom 1999-2010. Once in a lifetime cat. Much loved, much missed.

It sounds to me like Buddy is just as lucky to have you, as your have been to have Buddy. I can't think of anything better to say than that.

God Bless you, and God Speed to the Budster when he starts his new journey.