The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default From last OT day, when I asked which way to run my new wood floors.....

Well, they still aren't quite done but should be finished in the next 2 weeks.

They are gorgeous! And I'm very happy I went with how I wanted them vs. what the sales guy insisted I should do.

For those who wanted to see them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	family room.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	30562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dining room.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	30563  
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I am at the shopping, getting quotes, deciding to replace the wall to wall carpets with hardwood floors. I am leaning towards hickory because it is strong. My problem is my 100 lb lab... My husband (and the salespeople) is convinced they will be scratched right away... I cannot stand the carpets any longer and I do not like laminate. I want to remove the carpets, paint the walls, have the floors installed and finish the rooms redecorating. I will NOT repaint trying to deal with the colour of the carpet!

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

It took me over a year to pick these out but the carpet had to go (almost 14 years old, yuck). Mine are maple but it's just me and some cats so it's no problem.

Cleaning up cat hairballs has never been easier - so worth it!

I had my bedroom done and my office, foyer, and front hall are left to do.

My carpet is 12 year old and has been cleaned many times. It does not stay clean any more and the traffic patterns come back very quickly. A big shedding dog and a parrot... you get the idea!!! Maple is my second choice (I don't care for oak).

I have oak floors and they have been scratched by my dog. If that's going to bother you, better choose something else. I choose to think they have that lovely, lived-in look.

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

That's partially why I got the hand-scraped version.

It already has texture in it so some scratches here and there won't be too noticeable. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

My house came with possibly pecan (unknown), and I laid oak in the bedroom to try to match. Nearly impossible, since the original hardwood is 10 years old in a sunny house, and was probably laid and then stained...but came close. LOVE hardwood. Here is mine, after the new bedroom flooring was installed by my boyfriend.

From living room into bedroom

I'm completely happy with it. I've scratched the pecan with furniture, but two dogs (57-pound Border Collie and 64-pound Aussie/Kelpie) who shed, run, rough-house and tackle in the house haven't hurt either floors. And the BC loves to do burnouts in the house, and runs in place. Actually pretty cute, and I've never worried about the floor.

I looked at the hand-scraped, but wanted to match. It's something we're keeping in mind for our next house though; the BF really liked it.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Sigh.... Im very very jealous right now
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Reefy, it looks great! Congrats!
    I love your dining set, the checkered chairs are so cute!
    It would be nice to have a small dining set. My family is too large though (and all in state) so my kitchen table seats 10. No longer have a dining room, not that we miss it because no matter how big a house we had we never could fit the table for 20 in there, LOL!

TheJenners...love your wall color! (and horsie decor)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

That looks beautiful! Good job!

Thanks MistyBlue. I was going to do just the foyer, but my Mom convinced me to do the whole wall. Talk about sweating and painting...but turned out awesome!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Jenn-I love your place. It looks so beautiful. And I love the floors.

A tip for everyone-if you use felt furniture pads to prevent scratches get the light tan, not the dark brown. The dark brown ones bleed sometimes, and the dye can stain paint too with prolonged contact.

Reefy-your floors look wonderful, and I love the direction you picked. In my previous house I had laminate put in and I was going to do it the long way-good thing the installer did it the other way since mine would have looked like a bowling alley if I had done it the original way.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Your floors look great. We went with Pergo because of the dog and kids. Eight years later, it still looks like new. I am a die-hard hard-wood floor lover, but with pets, the Pergo is awesome.

I am so jealous! If only I could put some felt pads on the dog paws!!! We had visitors last night and he went beserk as usual. So happy to see people! I was thinking "so much for the idea of wood floors!!"
    I want to repaint the bedrooms and I will NOT be trying to match the carpet.. I want bright colours but I get cold feet (even for my stupid laundry/mud room!!).

I was always told to lay the wood floor in the direction opposite to the joists, but towards the windows... haha!