The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cavalor Feeds? anyone use it?

Just looking at a new brand of feed, Cavalor. Seems to be big in Europe and reaching into the North American market. Looks a bit like Muesli to me.

Anyone feed it? Likes? Dislikes?

The product pamphlet touts that one can feed less, it's more digestible and with less starch, with various formulations based on workload & stress of your discipline.

3x as expensive!

My horse gets this feed, and loves it!

He gets Performix in spring/summer, Mix and Mash in fall/winter....

It is wonderful feed IMO, and I prefer it to Intergity which he used to get....he is prone to colic, and has not done do, since on this feed (but have no idea if it has made any difference in this respect)...

It smells so good, and the grains are mostly whole grains... it is NOT cheap, also but not much more $$$$ than Integrity...

I am def. not an expert on feed, so just giving my opinion as his trainer chooses to feed this, and just went along w/ the program

Thanks. I'm under the impression that yes, a bag is expensive, but you feed less, so perhaps it's a moot point.

We'd have to research that a bit.

Also wondered about readiness in supply and any slips in quality/consistency.

Default Cavalor Feeds? anyone use it?

Cross posting here:
    Just looking at a new brand of feed, Cavalor. Seems to be big in Europe and reaching into the North American market. Looks a bit like Muesli to me.

The product pamphlet touts that one can feed less, it's more digestible and with less starch, with various formulations based on workload & stress of your discipline.

Default cavalor Feeds? anyone use it?

Cross posting here:

Yes I have used it.

You may want to read this thread.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=Cavalor

I'm not overly enthusiastic about it anymore and I'd say for as expensive as it is (due to shipping, in Belgium it's not that expensive about 12.50 Euros per bag), I'd rather stick with Triple Crown.

We feed Cavalor and also Triple Crown. We love the Cavalor feed and we do find we feed less. We are currently using Performix for the horses in work and we use Pianissimo on the mares and some of the youngsters. Hoping they will eventually offer a full line of their products here in the US. Given that we now feed Triple Crown we did not find the Cavalor to be 3x the price.

Feeds like Cavalor are found all over Europe - I don't understand why feed companies here can't make the same type of feeds instead of feeds with too much glucose and or all extruded which I don't like.

Forgot to mention we also use the Mash & Mix for all the horses once a week - it smells wonderful! And they LOVE IT.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I see it was double posted in horsecare, so I'll just copy what I typed there :

Yes I have used it.
    You may want to read this thread.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=248516

I'm not overly enthusiastic about it anymore and I'd say for as expensive as it is (due to shipping, in Belgium it's not that expensive about 12.50 Euros per bag), I'd rather stick with Triple Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl
    Feeds like Cavalor are found all over Europe - I don't understand why feed companies here can't make the same type of feeds instead of feeds with too much glucose and or all extruded which I don't like.
    Yes they are, and go onto some European horse care bb's and owners are screaming to finally get some low starch low sugar horsefeed, which Cavalor is NOT. European does not = better.
    The NSC is high and it's not recommended for horses with the likes of epsm, insulin resistant or needing a low sugar diet, too high in sugars.

Have a look : sugars & starch : 35%!
    http://www.cavalor.be/NUTRI/Nutritio...&fam=-1&ani=-1

Look at the ingredient list, fructo-oligosaccharides, like Katy Watts explained, why would that be a good think, it's what's used to induce laminitis.

Thank you! Should have done a search.......duh.

I've never fed it, but it sure looks good from a people perspective. It smells amazing (pizza?) and "looks yummy". I remember being a little disappointed by the ingredient list though. For what seemed to be a high quality feed it was more grain laden that I expected.

WAAAY too expensive for what it is!!! Especially when there are superior feeds made here in the states. Triple Crown and Legands are fantastic feeds at about half the price. I also understand the Cavalor is not doing so well with the intro in the states and they may pull out.

They left a flyer in my feed room...door was closed no one home...so obviously they looked at my feed. Kinda rude.

Left no price list just a flier....or place to buy or if its delivered????

It looked really yummy the one year I saw it at ROLEX. I can't remember whose booth it was at, but they also were giving away little sample bags of it.

Actually try Allerton Farm in Marshallton. It is near Blue Rock Farm. It is on Allerton Rd. I learned to ride there as a kid.

The big problem with the farm is that the ring has no lights and is a HIKE up a hill- like a 1/3 of a mile UP, UP a hill. On the other hand the ride up and back works out really well for warm up & cool down.
    Lots of nice trails and jumps in the woods.

I know Blue Rock Farm is at the base of Lucky Hill Farm at the intersection of Allerton Rd. It has an indoor. I don't know anything else about that farm.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

You can find much more info at Cavalor.us

Cavalor is now based in Georgia and we are quickly opening new stores and adding sales force. Contact us at 855cavalor or contact any of our reps from the above website for more info. I am sure you will be pleased with the difference. Best regards: Michael pollard

Looks like an interesting feed. If I ever get my darn barn built...I will have to take a closer look at it (and balance the costs with Pennfield).

I have a couple of harder keepers. Even on a good feed like Pennfield ....I have to supplement them way too much.

Would love to find something that they did better on.... I had heard good things about Cavalor.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Hi all,

I am Michael Pollard and I am now the manager of Cavalor in the US. I assure you we are here to stay!

While I see that so many of you are happy with Cavalor there are still a lot of questions about low starch and sugars as well as price. Many of these issues I have answered on other posts, but also, you should go to cavalor.us to see full answers to these questions or call us at 855cavalor. Cavalor feed is unlike anything else on the market, and although we may not fit every situation we do think that for many horses we offer the best solution. Give it a try on a difficult horse to see for yourself. This is how i was convinced to join the team at Cavalor! Best regards: Michael Pollard

Michael: any ingredient lists on the website? I wasn't able to find.

I had the rep out. I like the feed, however the costs make it totally undoable. Even if I really was able to feed a third less, as I was told, it still made it much, much more expensive than Pennfield. On top of that, the idea of it coming all the way from Europe made me VERY nervous. The rep was here during the strikes in France, and she told me there were issues getting feed. Not something I'd want to here. I'll stick to my Pennfield, at least until I create my own fabo line of feeds...since there are several feeds from Europe and the UK that I love the idea of that NO ONE here duplicates.