The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 166 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

I'll sign....I don't want any of them back. Although it sounds like PV does ok even under suspension.
    ~~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~~

*Member of the "I hate the crest release" clique*

Radio...Sallie and Em are turning in their graves..but I might have to go for the hot pink vest points http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    ....alright..here goes fatmouth; I hate to say it...but ya all just KNOW who is gonna seriously maim whom if the wire wearer gets reinstated http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif ..mark my words.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/racetb

*Save The Prairie Dog*
    \"Jean Louise, stand up. Your father\'s passing.\"

if someone who was found guilty like PV, given a life suspension, then found to be okay to come back to the fold. It really would not be a smart move on the USEF's part what so ever. no
    Unfortunatley he was not given a life suspension, it is up this coming April. With USEF you never know and he has alot big time people still friendly with him.

OvertheHillBillies Land, where PD\'s roam & thongs are dependable

Maim? Ya think it will only be maim? Come on we all know better than that. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

Turning in their graves, hell they probably are getting ready to come up to the mick and speak. Listen hard younguns, you will hear them too. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I would defiitely sign!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Sorry....I meant to say cut his head off with a rusty machete..but discretion IS the better part of valor.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/racetb

*Save The Prairie Dog*
    \"Jean Louise, stand up. Your father\'s passing.\"

Very interesting link. I remember this guy being big really big back when I showed hunters and then all of this going down. I personally have no respect for somebody that would kill a horse for insurance money. I also cannot believe that those Equus Medal finals would ask Paul V. to judge...how stupid is that! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Were there not people who were given lifetimesuspensions because of that reserpine incident some years ago?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

OK guys, here is a first draft. I would really welcome any input you all may have. And again, if you're not comfortable posting here, feel free to PM me.

The reason it's this long is that this is going to cross the desks of a lot of people who are not familiar with the case. I wanted to use the Hearing Committee's own language to explain their reasoning.

PETITION DRAFT:

TO: The United States Equestrian Federation ("USEF"), the United States Olympic Committee ("USOC"), and the Fédération Equestre Internationale ("FEI"):

PURPOSE: This petition is in opposition to the reinstatement of Mr. Paul Valliere to full membership rights and privileges in USEF.

BACKGROUND: On March 12, 1996, a meeting of the Hearings Committee of the American Horse Shows Association (predecessor in interest to USEF) was held and the following resolution was adopted:

"Mr. Paul Valliere, of North Smithfield, RI, violated Rule III, Article 302.6 and Rule VII, Article 702(a), (d), and (f) of this Association, in that he was convicted of having participated in a plan or conspiracy to commit acts of cruelty or abuse to a horse and the conduct underlying his conviction is deemed improper, unethical, dishonest, unsportsmanlike
    or intemperate, or prejudicial to the best interests of the Association.

In considering an appropriate penalty for the violation by MR. VALLIERE, the committee members weighed in his favor that he had cooperated with
    the government; however, the panel also took into consideration that he hired a killer for the horse Roseau Platiere, owned by him, which was electrocuted as part of a scheme to defraud an insurance company, and that the evidence presented at the hearing established that death by electrocution causes pain to the horse.

For his violation of the rules as charged, the committee determined pursuant to the provisions of Rule III, Article 302.6 and Rule VII,
    Article 703.1 (b), (c) and (f), that effective immediately and until further notice, MR. VALLIERE is hereby expelled from membership in the AHSA and denied all the privileges of membership including the ability to hold or exercise office in the association, attend or participate in association meetings, hold license(s) as an AHSA or FEI official, compete in international competitions or receive AHSA automatic insurance coverages or participate in AHSA group insurance programs and is found not in good standing and he and all horses owned, leased, or of any partnership, corporation or stable of his are found not in good standing and are suspended from competing or taking any part whatsoever in Recognized competitions and he is excluded from all competition grounds during Recognized competitions as an exhibitor, participant, or spectator. The panel members also directed that the Hearing Committee retains jurisdiction over this matter, and MR. VALLIERE may not apply to the Association for reinstatement any sooner than 10 years from the date he first became suspended by the Association on account of his indictment for the crime in question and then only based upon affirmative proof of total rehabilitation, including proof that he has taken steps to reform himself and has performed community service to benefit the welfare of horses."

PETITION: We, the undersigned, do not believe that Mr. Valliere has presented sufficient proof of total rehabilitation as required by USEF. We further believe that the reinstatement of Mr. Valliere would be in direct contravention of the USEF's own Vision Statement, contained in the USEF Bylaws, which states, in part:

"Bylaw 102: The vision of the Federation is to provide leadership for equestrian sport in the United States of America, promoting the pursuit of excellence from the grass roots to the Olympic Games, based on a foundation of fair, safe competition and the welfare of its human and equine athletes...."

We, the undersigned, believe that the killing of the equine athlete Roseau Platiere flies in the face of USEF Bylaws by failing to promote the welfare of equine athletes.

We further believe that the killing of Roseau Platiere is in direct contravention of the FEI Code of Conduct, which states in part:

"The Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) expects all those involved in international equestrian sport to adhere to the FEI’s Code of Conduct and to acknowledge and accept that at all times the welfare of the horse must be paramount and must never be subordinated to competitive or commercial influences.

At all stages during the preparation and training of competition horses, welfare must take precedence over all other demands. This includes good horse management...

We, the undersigned, believe that in killing the equine athlete Roseau Platiere, Mr. Valliere directly violated the FEI Code. We further believe the reinstatement of Roseau Platiere's admitted killer, Mr. Valliere, is not in the best interests of equestrian sport, USEF, the United States of America, or the FEI, and does not promote the welfare of our equine athletes.

Respectfully submitted,

Comments???
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

too many words.
    since you asked.
    but I will sign
    for what it is worth.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I *think* I can get away with cutting most of the last paragraph of the Hearing Committee stuff. Would that make it better?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

War Admiral, unless you have someone on the committee willing to champion this for you, it is going to end up filed under waste in the mail room. Not that your intentions are not noble, and not that many are not in agreement, it is simply a case of the federation not being concerned with the opinion of the average member.
    POYBGP, member in good standing.

I think it very good, very professional sounding. Doesn't feel long to me when I was reading it. I would definately sign it. I just jogged my husbands memory on it. You don't want to know what he said (Erin would have a fit!! LOL). He was shocked that it was not a lifetime suspension.

it is simply a case of the federation not being concerned with the opinion of the average member.
    If we don't stand up and have a say, then why should we be members. Why give us the rules, why go to meetings. It is our federation, everyone should be heard. We pay for it!

Originally posted by harryjohnson:
    War Admiral, unless you have someone on the committee willing to champion this for you, it is going to end up filed under waste in the mail room. Not that your intentions are not noble, and not that many are not in agreement, it is simply a case of the federation not being concerned with the opinion of the average member.
    It's interesting you should feel that way. To reiterate something I've said before, I have always had WONDERFUL responses from the USEF, whether it be on rules, on issues like this, or, earlier this year, a USEF rep spotting a question of mine in the Driving forum here and kindly sending me a personal e-mail.

You think they don't listen, I know they do. Because they've demonstrated that to my satisfaction many a time.

So hows 'bout if I shorten that paragraph to this:

"For his violation of the rules as charged, the committee determined pursuant to the provisions of Rule III, Article 302.6 and Rule VII, Article 703.1 (b), (c) and (f), that effective immediately and until further notice, MR. VALLIERE is hereby expelled from membership in the AHSA.... The panel members also directed that the Hearing Committee retains jurisdiction over this matter, and MR. VALLIERE may not apply to the Association for reinstatement any sooner than 10 years from the date he first became suspended by the Association... and then only based upon affirmative proof of total rehabilitation, including proof that he has taken steps to reform himself and has performed community service to benefit the welfare of horses."

Better??

WarAdmiral,
    Really good letter-I don't think it's too long. If we all get as many signatures as we can, not only will it spread the word to others in the industry who don't know what happened, but by flooding their mailroom they won't be able to say they didn't get our petitions.

BTW, if we send just one letter with a bunch of names on it as opposed to many letters, could they just throw it away and never respond? This could be a concern.

As soon as I heard about all of this several years ago, I made sure that everyone I know in the industry heard about it--because although it is public record, there are SO MANY people that had no clue.

Also, If I am just a "peasant member" of the USEF and I don't have the right to voice my opinion AND have them respond in some way, then I wan't my money back!

I'd Delete the part that starts with "For his violation of the rules as charged" and add something along the lines of "As a condition of his suspension, he was ordered to not be on the showgrounds of any recognized event. His violation of this ruling has been blatant, as evidenced by his appearance at WEF. There have been no public displays of remorse, and in fact, he continues to train and make a living off of the same type of animals he had killed purely for the love of money. To allow reinstatement would be a slap in the face of those members who abide by the USEF bylaws."

Maybe not worded quite as dramatically, but something along those lines. I liked it though.

If I am just a "peasant member" of the USEF and I don't have the right to voice my opinion AND have them respond in some way, then I wan't my money back!
    I believe the word was average which I believe is a step above peasant. LOL!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

I agree with Jetsmom. I like her wording. It is a slap in the face to all of us that try to do what is right and abide by the rules. He continues to show horses at rated shows by any means possible to him.