The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hurricane Earl is coming... What do you do to prepare? (east coasters)

My plan is that since my horsies are on night t/o right now, I have just brought them in for grain and hay and a quick nap for whoever chooses. In a few hours I will chuck them back out until feeding time this evening, then they will stay inside (block barn) until it has cleared off. I'll move some hay into the currently empty loft from my hay barn, fill a trough inside the WR, throw a lot of hay and pray. I don't really think it will be that bad, but you know...better safe... Does anyone else have anything to add/share?

We keep our horses in turn out during hurricanes. They are used to 24/7 turn out anyway and then you don't have to worry about the roof/entire barn collapsing on your horses. Our pasture has a large tree line that they hide out in during storms. They get fed and taken care of like normal. We top of all the water troughs so that they will have plenty to drink in the event it takes the electricity a while to come back on. Normally, I turn the girls out without their halters but during a storm they each get properly fitted leather or break away halters with the horse's identification and my phone number tagged on to the side.

Despite having a generator we don't have 220 volt for our well pump, so we will be setting aside 80 gallons or so of water in case we run out of power. Everything else will be as standard...turn out during the day, barn stalls at night.
    Since I have two glass windows* to 2 of the stalls I may tape them but that's about it.

*metal grilles on the stall side of them.

Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

http://www.horseketeerspc.org/disaster_planning

We do a yearly meeting with our local fire dept and a vet. I cimpliled this list after meeting with them and having survived the 2006 hurricanes..Charley, Frances, Ivan and whatever that 4th one was named (4 in a month!)
    This year, the vet stressed the differences about leaving in vs turnout (I always leave mine in).
    If you leave them out, make sure that there are no power lines or trees that can fall on the fencing. The best turnout situation is in a field within a field...in otherwords, if fencing comes down, they still cannot escape off your property (unless all fencing comes down!) So many horses in Andrew survived only to escape and then be hit by vehicles or electrocuted by downed power lines.
    Also, the smallest item can become a dangerous flying weapon in a hurricane. Be prepared for injuries from flying projectiles if you leave your horses out.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Oops my bad, I didn't check in off course before I posted this. Sorry!

We are not worried about this storm as we are inland, but we DO get strong hurricanes here from time to time. I always keep horses out during storms, not inside the barn. I feel that a barn is unsafe in high winds or high water. THey can reach higher ground if necessary outside and there is not barn to collapse around them. We do however, leave on halters with identifying info and phone numbers on them if a bad storm approaches. Also do not elave any form of blanket, sheet etc on in high winds, it can become dislodged and wrap around their legs. We also make sure to fill up ALL tubs etc available with water as that is a major issue if the power goes out. Other than that we make sure anything that can fly around during a storm, chairs, jumps etc are secured. I always make sure plenty of fuel in the vehicles and have all coggins in the truck in case I had to move horses (which I doubt would be anything we would attempt honestly), however, this might be necessary if a hurt horse had to be moved and better not to fumble around looking for such things. I make sure we have plenty of feed onhand, as after living thru Fran showed me, roads can be impassable for days after a hurricane.

Just wondering, what do you all do with your horse trailers when a hurricane/tropical storm is threatening?

A couple years ago we had wicked winds (probably tropical storm force) from some hurricane, can't remember which one. Because the winds were hitting the trailer broadside and rocking it up, we had to hook it up and move it the other direction alongside the barn. We left it hooked up just for good measure. The high sustained winds were scary here, especially knowing that in the middle of KY we don't build to high wind standards- IIRC, my trusses are only rated for 70mph!

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    We are not worried about this storm as we are inland, but we DO get strong hurricanes here from time to time. I always keep horses out during storms, not inside the barn. I feel that a barn is unsafe in high winds or high water. THey can reach higher ground if necessary outside and there is not barn to collapse around them. We do however, leave on halters with identifying info and phone numbers on them if a bad storm approaches. Also do not elave any form of blanket, sheet etc on in high winds, it can become dislodged and wrap around their legs. We also make sure to fill up ALL tubs etc available with water as that is a major issue if the power goes out. Other than that we make sure anything that can fly around during a storm, chairs, jumps etc are secured. I always make sure plenty of fuel in the vehicles and have all coggins in the truck in case I had to move horses (which I doubt would be anything we would attempt honestly), however, this might be necessary if a hurt horse had to be moved and better not to fumble around looking for such things. I make sure we have plenty of feed onhand, as after living thru Fran showed me, roads can be impassable for days after a hurricane.

This is what we did for Rita...we also put halters on the horses with ID tags on them...with our contact info should they get loose...we put all the horses in two big fields...our barn was thrown a few hundred feet into a heap...we were happy there were no horses in it!!

Thank goodness Earl seems to be weakening a bit. It's on the way to New England, though. My horses are in because we are in the suburbs and it's almost nightfall. I hope we will get some much needed rain, but this has been a summer of extremes in New England. For once, I hope we get just enough to get second crop hay back on track.

We have a generator but we have stockpiled water in huge water jugs and have the flashlights and llbean crank radio ready. I'm mostly worried about my folks who live on the coast.