The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lesson/Training Prices

I tried the search function for a half an hour and haven't come up with anything.

How much do you pay for lessons and training rides?

How are your training packages structured? How much do they cost? Are there separate training and lesson packages or is the package a combination?

(And a location of where you live would be helpful!)

Thanks a bunch!

I usually pay for a weeks or two weeks lessons at a time, my instructor chargers $30 per half hour private, and charges $30 for a training ride. I normally don't have anyone ride my horse unless I'm gone for a week or more because i can deal with the 1 or 2 days of crazy horse before he's back to himself. I'm located about an hour north of Detroit, MI.

We ship in and pay $40 for an hour private in the central west part of Ontario with a BNT. Not sure how much training ride are but I have paid between $20-35 in the past.

Hi, we are in FL. I've had two different training barns my daughter has been at. The first was her "beginner" trainer, had real nice lesson older horses. She charged $25/hr group lesson. Her privates were $35 for 45 mins I believe. She did not ride horses and train them.

The next one, her "normal" fees I believe are $35 group and $45-$50 private. Leadline $25/ 1/2 hour. Most of the trainers around her are around $30/$35 hour private. Group lessons, pretty much the same.

I think a training ride, if we take horse to them, pretty much the same. If they travel to you it's $50. or add mileage to it.

They would "like" to get paid monthly in advance for the lessons. I have had nothing but trouble doing it this way. Seems we are rained out, or my daughter is sick or horse is lame or something comes up. Then you pay heck trying to get those lessons made up in the month you paid for them. Or trainer has to re-schedule for some reason. Just seems we didn't get as "quality" of a lesson either when you paid in advance. I prefer the pay as we go route, but I also understand that trainers need to make a living and like to get the funds all in advance up front like boarding...just does not work well for me.

In SE Georgia.... $25 for private lesson on your horse, $35 if using the trainer's horse. I don't know what she charges for doing training rides on regular basis. She did ride my daughter's horse a couple of times to help with a specific issue but did not charge us for that. Having said that, I often bring her drinks and lunch so we look at that kind of thing as a wash.

I'm in New York and I pay $65 for a half hour private lesson, training rides are the same. There are no packages for lessons/training.

In CT I pay $85 for a half hour private with the GP trainer, but there's also options to have it with a different trainer for around $70. There is a package for 6 lessons for around $450. Training rides are the same but added $10 for tack up.

I charge 50 per hour for a private lesson.

40 for semi private 1 hour.

A package is available but I prefer not to do package deals as it makes for more bookkeeping.

1 hour of my time is 50 dollars regardless if it is a lesson or a training ride.

A customer in full training is given a price break for several reasons but the two biggest are....
    1) It's guaranteed income.
    2) The services are not as long, meaning training rides and lessons are shorter in time because we work together several days a week.

It's funny that in California full and partial training are the norm - or at least they were when I was living there, but on this side of the country every service comes with a fee. I suppose it's a better way to make money, but I really like the model of "full training" better than the a la cart model. Less bookkeeping and the horses and riders get more for their money.

$25/day for board with training included (about $750/month). That includes all lessons on my horse and others and all training rides trainer puts in on my horse. Comes out to a pretty good deal. I may only go out to barn 2x a week, but do 2-3 horses (with lessons) and my horse will be worked on the days i'm not out to ride. This set up seems to be quite the anomaly.

Alabama.

ETA: This is flat rate. No billing for extras (ex: horse needs eye treatment 3x a day--included). Horse shows run on a flat rate too, making budgeting SO easy.
    Last edited by SkipChange; Sep. 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

My current trainer charges $35/lesson. Usually an hour group or half hour private. Previous barn's trainer was the same. Farm I used to teach at charged $45/lesson, hour group or half hour private. Of that, instructors were paid $7/hr only if we actually taught whereas if student missed their lesson without sufficient notice the barn still got paid and we sat around waiting for the next lesson (not getting paid).
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

You can see my price list on my website. I did a lot of research on rates in my area (Los Angeles) and felt these were fair and competitive for someone of my skill level and ability (they might even be a little low).

I don't like giving group lessos so most of my lessons are private, maybe semi-private if I think the two people could benefit from watching eachother go.

TidyRabbit, that's an interesting commentary. Almost everyone here has their horse in training - in fact, it's usually the only way to get access to jumps even if you're a competant amateur.

The only downside I've seen to full training is people feeling like they're not getting their money's worth when the trainer has to leave or the weather doesn't play nice. Some barns won't take you unless you are in a training program...

I am in Cincinnati and I pay $35 for a lesson on my horse, school horse is $40 for a hour or whenever we accomplish what we need to for that particular lesson. I pay $10 for a training ride (which is a great bargin) when she needs a tune up or when I am out of town. I think her training board is $20 per ride plus regular board of $500.

Quote Originally Posted by sptraining View Post
    TidyRabbit, that's an interesting commentary. Almost everyone here has their horse in training - in fact, it's usually the only way to get access to jumps even if you're a competant amateur.

The only downside I've seen to full training is people feeling like they're not getting their money's worth when the trainer has to leave or the weather doesn't play nice. Some barns won't take you unless you are in a training program...
    Yes, I was MOST SURPRISED by how many AA type barns operate here.

I grew up riding where all my lessons were on the board each week and it was just a monthly fee. Whatever needed to be done was done for horse / rider.

However out here... everything has an individual charge...

lessons
    lungeing
    hand walking
    training rides
    baths
    tacking up / untaking
    clipping
    etc etc

I don't know how they keep it all straight. It must take an enormous amount of record keeping.
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; Sep. 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

I'm in NorCal and it costs $40 for an hour group, (group just meaning there's more than one person and it never gets more than four people), and $50/hr private. Those prices are super cheap in my area especially since my trainer is awesome and my barn does lots of A shows. My last barn, which goes to basically every big show in the area, costs $60/hr for group and $70/30-45min private; those prices(and ever more expensive) are more common for show barns in my area.

How much do you pay for lessons and training rides?
    40/hour for training rides and 50 an hour for lessons on my horse at their place, I haul in.

How are your training packages structured? How much do they cost? Are there separate training and lesson packages or is the package a combination?

50 is the package price, 60 is the non package price. Packages are bought up front and are in 6 lesson packs. they do not expire

(And a location of where you live would be helpful!)

midwest.

I take lessons with some BNT when I can afford it and their one hour private lessons are between $100 and $125...Riding College is expensive!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Lessons with my LNT at home are $75/45 minutes (private lesson) although IIRC she also offers a shorter (30 minute?) flat only lesson for $50. She does not teach group lessons.

When I shipped in to a nearby BNT, I paid $125 per lesson and they generally ran about an hour.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

We sometimes lesson with an LNT in our area - they run $ 75 for 45 minutes but the DD mostly trains with a BNT where a lesson is $ 100. The lessons with the BNT are meant to be an hour but frequently end up being closer to an hour and a half or sometimes even longer. We are in the Northeast. Oh, these are for private lessons, the LNT does not offer groups but the BNT will occasionally have someone for the DD to ride with, then she charges $ 75.

I generally just pay as we go, since we ship in to whomever we're lessoning with, it just makes it easier.

It's funny that in California full and partial training are the norm - or at least they were when I was living there, but on this side of the country every service comes with a fee. I suppose it's a better way to make money, but I really like the model of "full training" better than the a la cart model. Less bookkeeping and the horses and riders get more for their money.

I had no idea that it was done any other way. I have no idea how much one lesson would be at my daughters barn. She has never ridden anywhere that there wasn't a full or partial training price. A lot of barns - at least in Northern Cal - won't let you just board your horse unless it is in some kind of training program. I'm sure there are a few but none that I can think of off the top of my head.

So it is structured like this - board is paid to the BO and that includes daily feeding of hay - which is posted to the front of the stall - daily stall cleaning, and upkeep of the barn aisles.

Full Training includes 3 lessons (and at DD's barns most lessons are done in a group, occasionally you get lucky and noone shows up but she is so used to training in a group she prefers that), daily blanketing - fly sheets in the summer, daily turnout, lunch that includes feed and smartpak, etc., getting the horses ready for shows - whisker trimming etc., and one training ride by the trainer or assistant, and occasional hacks by them as well, arranging farrier service, vet service for routine well horse shots. My daughter can hack the horses whenever she wants.

Extras would be - full grooming - if you need your horse tacked up and something like this comes in handy if you have more than one horse and back to back lessons with no time in between, special feed, clipping, if the vet has to come out for something other than routine shots.

Then daily fee for shows. If we are gone for two weeks the show fees replace the training fees.

Some Northern Cal barns require that you attend a certain number of shows as well as the full/partial training.
    Last edited by LeeB10; Sep. 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot a detail

Oh.. and if you ship in for lessons you have to pay the BO a ship in fee as well as any lesson fee. At our barn it is $35.00 for ship in so hardly anyone ships in for a lesson.