The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Update from last OT Day: Honda Fit and Kapoosh

So, I ended up driving a Toyota Matrix, Scion xD, Mini Cooper, and Honda Fit, all within a two-hour time span. There are some things to be said for living in a large metro area. All of the dealer reps were pleasant and professional. I was also renting a Pontiac Vibe which is supposed to be more-or-less the same as the Matrix.

Matrix -- kind of boring to drive, but holds a lot of stuff. Scion xD -- more entertaining to drive. Mini Cooper -- fun to drive but more $$ and required premium gas. Honda Fit -- solid, not as fun as the MC, but not much less so (glad I drove it for that reason, if no other). A friend recommended the Scion xB as a fun car, but it is bigger than the xD and didn't get great gas mileage. Then there is the fact that I have worked with a Honda/Acura broker in the past and it really makes life simple and doesn't cost anything extra.

So I bought the Fit. A red one. I surrendered and bought an automatic and I can't say I've missed the manual. You can truly put a lot of stuff in it. The back seats fold down to give you a large, flat cargo area. I've been getting just above 40 mpg driving to and from the barn in little to no traffic. Today the 50-mile trip took over 90 minutes and I still got about 35 mpg. It's not as zippy as the Acura RSX was, but oh well. I would have been happier if it had integrated bluetooth. I thought I was missing the Vibe's outside T° reading, but that was before last week's heat wave when I really didn't want to know how hot it was. All in all, I am quite happy with it.

Did anyone else buy a kapoosh?
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    It's not as zippy as the Acura RSX was, but oh well.
    Understatement of the year!

And yes, I have a Kapoosh. They're epic.

We looked at the Honda Fit when hubby was looking for a daily driver (his other car is a 20 y/o Nissan 300zx which he is meticulous about). We ended up getting a Nissan Versa as we got a better deal.. manual tranny much to my dismay sometimes.

Oh bugger, I should have checked it out Saturday! Sounds like a good choice, though I could never drive an automatic. I'm just weird like that, I prefer manual (unless driving a truck).
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I got a Kapoosh!!!!!!!! I love it for all my random knives that don't fit in my normal knife block!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Oh bugger, I should have checked it out Saturday! Sounds like a good choice, though I could never drive an automatic. I'm just weird like that, I prefer manual (unless driving a truck).
    Well it was parked up on the hill. Tho you can look at pretty much any red Fit sport and there you go. I was always in the no-automatic camp too but 1-it was darn-near-impossible to find a manual, 2-the manual didn't come with the vehicle stabilization, and 3-I'd gotten kind of used to the idea after dealing with the rental cars. Kelli drove it today and wants one. So does her dog who decided that she'd much rather stay in the Fit than hang out at the barn.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I love my sisters Chevy Aveo. It's very similar to the Honda fit. Great on gas, car keeps you cool in the summer versus my Subaru Forester and the back seat in the Aveo is larger (more knee room) that the back seat in the Forester. Its a great commuter car and it can pack a lot in the hatch if you fold down the seats.
    It was a good price and I like having cars that are not "desirable" which is code for no one would think about stealing them.
    The only downside is the SUVs always cut into my lane because they dont have enough room in their lane. RAZZ, they just don't know how to drive. And I sometimes feel like a miniature pony in a herd of draft horses. I have to look out so I don't get squashed. Oh, and there is no zip, so I do plan merges a lot more carefully. No turbo to get you out of a bind.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not so sure about the Aveo. Friend rented one for a week and said he had to keep putting gas in it, and he only drives very little--maybe 10 miles a day. His description of the multiple gas station trips put me off. I have no idea, though, what bells and whistles his rental came with. Automatic and AC, for sure.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire