The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    370

    Default Vacation in Ireland

    My mom and I are going to Ireland Oct 1 and I am so excited. I've got a list of all the places that I want to see but was hoping to get some more suggestions for COTHers. We will be traveling mainly around Western Ireland but I would love an ideas.

    On another note, does anyone have any good clothing tips? I'm not into hiking boots, rain pants or the like to wear outside of work , so any suggestions?

    I am open to any ideas to make my trip a blast

    Thanks



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    842

    Default

    Definitely see Dublin. It's a lovely city and totally worth spending a day or two exploring. I've been to Killarney (cute but touristy town, probably much quieter in Oct!) and Galway, which is a lovely seaside town. I also spent some time in Longford, which is about an hour (IIRC) from Dublin. It's not too exciting, but I think one of the best aspects of Ireland is driving around the countryside and finding little villages, pubs and shops. I don't know much about Northern Ireland, but I have friends who live in Waterford in the south and they say it's absolutely lovely.

    If you're interested in riding, feel free to PM me and I can give you the info for a great place outside Galway!

    ETA: Since you're focusing on Western Ireland, definitely hit Connemara. We didn't get to it when I went but I hear it's amazing.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    I studied in Dublin for a semester and loved it; didn't get to travel much outside, except for a week in Belfast, but if you want any recommendations in Dublin I'd be happy to pass them on. Except my recommendations are pretty much confined to pubs. (:



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,132

    Default

    Galway and the Burren
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2006
    Location
    very far from home
    Posts
    150

    Default

    DH and I went to Ireland in June of 2009. We arrived at Cork and drove the west/southwest coast and departed from Dublin.

    Weather-wise, it rained from the time we de-planed until we got back on the plane in Dublin. I wore jeans most days and layered from there. I started with a long-sleeve tee-shirt, a long sleeve quarter zip fleece over and rain jacket over. Most days I could pull the fleece off by lunchtime and go with just the long sleeve tee and rain jacket. I wore my Danskos most of the time until they were saturated then changed over to either paddock boots or a comfy pair of flats. I brought multiple rain jackets and we each carried multiple pocket umbrellas. I didn't have wellies at the time or I would have brought those!

    We enjoyed the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle (take the hike up to the cliffs), the Waterford crystal factory tour (very touristy but you actually walk on the manufacturing floor) and finally the ancient burial caves at Knowth. Killarney town is touristy, no question but the national park is beautiful. Muckross Abbey and the graveyard there made for some incredible pictures. I went for a 3-hour trek there and had a great tour of the park.

    Frankly, you can get to anywhere in Ireland in just a few hours so there's no reason (IMO, of course) to confine yourself to one albeit lovely area of the country.

    Enjoy, take lots of pictures and enjoy a Magner's for me!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I studied in Dublin for a semester and loved it; didn't get to travel much outside, except for a week in Belfast, but if you want any recommendations in Dublin I'd be happy to pass them on. Except my recommendations are pretty much confined to pubs. (:
    We are spending a day in Dublin and would be more than happy to visit a few pubs



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceshy View Post
    DH and I went to Ireland in June of 2009. We arrived at Cork and drove the west/southwest coast and departed from Dublin.

    Weather-wise, it rained from the time we de-planed until we got back on the plane in Dublin. I wore jeans most days and layered from there. I started with a long-sleeve tee-shirt, a long sleeve quarter zip fleece over and rain jacket over. Most days I could pull the fleece off by lunchtime and go with just the long sleeve tee and rain jacket. I wore my Danskos most of the time until they were saturated then changed over to either paddock boots or a comfy pair of flats. I brought multiple rain jackets and we each carried multiple pocket umbrellas. I didn't have wellies at the time or I would have brought those!

    We enjoyed the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle (take the hike up to the cliffs), the Waterford crystal factory tour (very touristy but you actually walk on the manufacturing floor) and finally the ancient burial caves at Knowth. Killarney town is touristy, no question but the national park is beautiful. Muckross Abbey and the graveyard there made for some incredible pictures. I went for a 3-hour trek there and had a great tour of the park.

    Frankly, you can get to anywhere in Ireland in just a few hours so there's no reason (IMO, of course) to confine yourself to one albeit lovely area of the country.

    Enjoy, take lots of pictures and enjoy a Magner's for me!
    Thank you! We have rented a house in Co. Clare for the first week and will have a car to travel all over the place both during and after. Thanks again for the great suggestions!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Galway and the Burren
    Thanks. We are planning on going to a soccer match in Galway and have put that on our must go to list



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubyLink View Post
    We are spending a day in Dublin and would be more than happy to visit a few pubs
    Ah, well, in that case... (;

    (Keep in mind that I was there in 2002, I believe, and so my info may be outdated...)

    Right by the O'Connell Bridge on the south side, there's a great microbrewery called Messrs. Maguire; it was three or four stories tall (bar on each floor) and had some great microbrews there.

    There's a pub called Dockers on the quays, south side, can't remember exactly which quay it's on but if you were to come across the O'Connell bridge heading from north to south and turned left, it would be a couple of blocks/quays down. It's a great little pub which has some notoriety from U2 having been there several times--Windmill Lane, where their recording studio is, is right around the corner from it. We actually saw them leaving there one day as we were stumbling home, and the drummer gave a couple of my friends a ride home in his limo... I kinda hate U2, so I wasn't as impressed as they were. d;

    There are lots of neat bars and pubs in Temple Bar, including the Temple Bar itself, which has a neat courtyard area. Temple Bar is great for people-watching on a weekend night, as there are lots of hen parties and other assorted craziness. During the day, the Irish Film Centre there is really nice--they have a beautiful cafe inside.

    Lots of good old-fashioned pubs around Grafton St. The Hairy Lemon is neat; can't remember exactly what street that's on, but it's a block or two over from Grafton, near the Dunnes food hall. They have a lot of Quiet Man memorabilia there. O'Neill's was my favourite pub on Grafton.

    Near the Pearse St. DART station, about a block down toward the quays, there's a late-night fish and chips place called the Seashell that does fried everything. Nothing is better when you're drunk than a fried Mars bar.

    There's an ice cream called Pooh Bear Delight that you can get at an ice cream place in Temple Bar (also in Howth, a cute little seaside town just outside Dublin) that is the best ice cream I have ever had in my life. It has caramel covered popcorn or something like that in it. So good.

    I am trying to remember names of all the other places we frequented, but I mostly just remember what it was like inside and the general direction from Trinity, where I went to school. BTW, definitely visit Trinity--it's awesome and the Book of Kells and library are very cool to see.

    Oh, and there's a stable near Phoenix Park where you can go hack in the park.



Similar Threads

  1. Hunting in Ireland, Ireland Trip! Help!
    By StaceyA in forum Hunting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan. 9, 2013, 05:53 PM
  2. Ireland Riding Vacation
    By Gracious in forum Off Course
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Nov. 22, 2012, 10:29 AM
  3. Riding vacation - Ireland
    By Luseride in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan. 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
  4. Ireland or Germany for a Vacation?
    By LetItBe in forum Off Course
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Aug. 1, 2010, 03:11 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: May. 6, 2010, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •