The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry WWYD -- what else? neighbor problems.

So, I have a neighbor who has been a bit less than neighborly. As a brief summary of (perceived) transgressions we have had the following happen over the past year:

-After suspiciously finding our dogs outside of our house more than once when we went out for a few hours, we came home to find a 12 year old (guessing) child in pyjamas and bare feet, in 25 degree weather, opening our door to let them out early one morning last winter. When we told her not to ever open our door again and to go home (I'd never seen or met her before) she told me who her mother was, then went out into my barn. When I asked her to leave the barn, she went and stood at the top of my manure pile. She eventually went home after I told her not to return unless she had an adult with her.

--Our neighbors found her doing the same thing and had to get a security system because of it. She was suspected of opening pasture gates and letting horses out, so they have to padlock all of their gates now.

Continual dog problems--the dogs used to come down and chase my horses, including my then-weanling last winter. We would chase them away.

Dogs harassing us while trail riding--mostly harmless, but they come at you FAST and I am often on green horses who can wheel pretty fast at the sight of a VERY large breed dog and several smaller ones coming at them head-on.

One of her dogs came after my very submissive dog into my yard, chased it INTO MY HOUSE and attacked him. When I pulled him off (this was a lab/pit mix i believe) I was bitten. Absolutely fuming mad, with a bleeding dog (he was ok, just a nick but terrified more than anything) I picked her dog up and started marching outside only to see her standing there next to my property not.saying.a.word. When I confronted her "YOUR DOG ATTACKED MY DOG IN MY HOUSE" the response I got was "what do you want ME to do about it!?"
    This of course infuriated me, but I left to go make sure my dog was ok.
    On her way back past my house I confronted her because I realized I'd been bitten and she did apologize and assure me the dog had a rabies shot because she got her from the local humane society. I will say that this is probably where I should have nipped this in the bud and called some authorities, but I was trying to be a good neighbor and acknowledge that "sh*t happens" and go on with life. That dog eventually disappeared (thank DOG!) so I wasn't concerned with it happening again.

Last night a new encounter--this time with four dogs she was walking up the drive at dusk (it was pretty dark). She had acquired new dogs in this time--great!
    I was returning from a trail ride on a horse and had my very submissive dog with me. With my dog just under my feet, her very large dog came after mine in an aggressive manner. Well, I don't necessarily think that it would have hurt my dog, but in rushing at my dog, it rushed at ME on a horse that wasn't much bigger, in the dark, on a road. Bad times. Thank god I was on a quiet horse! The owner was about 15 feet away and did NOTHING to call the dog off of me/my dog, so I started yelling at it and it went back to her. It came at me a second time and I screamed for her to get her dog before I got bucked off, and she made a half-hearted attempt to get the big dog back. In the meanwhile, a smaller dog (40 pounds?) came after my dog again--it was MASS chaos and again, she did nothing but stand there!
    Well, I charged the small dog on my horse screaming at the top of my lungs, at which point my dog thought I was in danger and suddenly found some confidence and chased it off from me.
    Total mess and I'm lucky I didn't get hurt seriously.

But here's the thing--I know there are crappy dog owners out there (clearly!) but this is a horse person and a local trainer in my area. I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that she did not put a stop to the situation that very clearly could have gotten me so hurt. It was really clear that my horse was FREAKED OUT.I'm just blown away that a "professional" could see this going down and not do anything or even bother to apologize. I would be horrified if my dogs did that.
    I'm always very considerate and respectful of this person and her lessons when I ride past their farm, but clearly she does not have the same intent.

So, my thoughts are this--no more taking my dog on trail rides--it's just not worth him getting hurt. But what do I do about the dogs that charge me while I'm riding? Keep in mind this is not on her property.

I'm honestly thinking of carrying a pellet gun with me!

Thoughts?

Pellet gun, and call the fricken police. Are there leash laws in your area? And the next time you find a child on your property, set them down, offer them some lemonade and call CPS and say you've found a stray kid.

I think a .22 would be a better choice. Those dogs are dangerous and out of control. You have every right to protect yourself and your animals.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Thoughts?
    That you should lock your doors when you go out, and start reporting dog attacks to the authorities.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

1 members found this post helpful.

tsk tsk tsk....

I would suggest something bigger than BB, but that would be illegal.

makes you wonder if she is in the business of elliminating the competition by any means possible.

Obvisously she is dense...or not all there...

No legal ideas how to deal with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

"One of her dogs came after my very submissive dog into my yard, chased it INTO MY HOUSE and attacked him."

help protect your dogs by putting up a stout fence to keep the marauders out
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

rock salt/snake shot.

This is really bad...does your town have animal control officer/regulations/limitations on how many dogs a household can have? She's ashamed to admit she has no control over these dogs. If you have good laws, make a formal report after every incident. In my town, the dog can be seized if enough reports happen. BTW being inoculated is not a guarantee against any disease...

The opening the house door is easy to solve,it's called a lock.
    You can also chain and lock your gates, which is what I do.
    And anytime you catch that child on your property I would call the police. Obviously she is not being properly supervised, so they and CPS need to be involved.
    As far as the dogs, if you see them loose call the police and/or animal control and report dogs running at large. Especially ditto re the dog attacks, fighting, you being bitten etc. Once they have to pay some hefty fines etc I bet things will improve.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Yep, AirSoft or pellet gun. I have had a neighbor's dog rush me on my horse coming up my drive, with the neighbors outside watching and not doing a damn thing. I had an AirSoft pistol on me and pulled it out, pointed it at the dog, and shot it until it was off of my property. Judging by the gaping wide mouths of the neighbors watching, they could not believe I did it. Guess what? Haven't seen the dog on my property since and I also haven't lost any chickens to the "fox" since..hhmmm.

I'm lucky in that no dog has a chance to chase my horses in the pasture. One, they have to come into my front yard to be able to get in the pasture and two, Basco (OTTB) will try to kill a dog in an instance.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Start a paper trail with the police ~ call police and file a report each and every time - ride a "steady eddie" and arm yourself with wasp spray ~ someone on this board once suggested catching the dogs and pouring honey or something on them and then applying manure ~ people who do not control their dogs are a PITA BUT the dogs are dangerous and one must be very careful ~ IMHO ~ Good Luck ~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Sep. 1, 2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Let me get this straight... this neighbor teaches riding to children but lets her own kid roam onto others properties barefoot in the winter?

Oh yeah sign me up for lessons.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

it is unclear to me if you were on the road last night, or on private property.

I would tell her, once, that she must keep her dogs under control at all times and will be liable otherwise.

find out what your local or state ordinaces for dog law are, advise her of them. In PA, dog law states that "the dog must be kept under control at all times". Thus, if her dog is a nusiance or a hazard even on her own property she is liable. I would not tell her more than once.

If these things did not help (and I believe they will not), make friends with her dogs and teach them to down/drop/stay. Or make friends and return them to the humane society/pound.

I would be very very very careful of using a pellet gun or other "weapon" as those could cause damage you could be liable for.

Thanks all--glad to hear I'm not being sensitive here. We live kind of out in the country and the county animal control is not good.

I should have mentioned that we did start locking the house when we discovered the kid, and also that we haven't seen her since. However, recently discovered they were not living at home with mom so we will have to keep an extra big watch for her again.

In hindsight of course I should have called animal control or the police about the attack in my house, but honestly I was worried about my, my dogs and my horses' safety. It was weird enough that I worried about something like my barn getting burned down.

RE: a fence around the yard--it's about an acre that would need to be fenced so a bit tough, but we did discuss fencing the side that the dogs typically come in from.

I will have to find out if there is even a leash law, but the last time I called for stray dogs on the road I didn't even get a call back, even when I called back and said "aggressive" dogs in the road. I called the animal control though, not the police. Maybe that's the difference.

"I will have to find out if there is even a leash law, but the last time I called for stray dogs on the road I didn't even get a call back, even when I called back and said "aggressive" dogs in the road. I called the animal control though, not the police. Maybe that's the difference."

be proactive and don't wait for them to do it, take the dogs yourself. Unless there is a bite incident, then report it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post
    Let me get this straight... this neighbor teaches riding to children but lets her own kid roam onto others properties barefoot in the winter?

Oh yeah sign me up for lessons.
    Well, she teaches adults from what I can see, and I've seen her recommended on these forums more than a few times. scary!

threedog--thanks for the warning about the liability with a pellet gun. I guess I need to give it some consideration, but I think weighing the options is a good plan.

RE: my location--I was on a "driveway" of sorts--it's an easement that provides access to three farms, including hers, but where I was it was very packed clay--similar to pavement in texture.

Wow. I guess living in the Dirty South has me a little quick to the trigger. I didn't realize there were so many laws against protecting your livestock. The last time I called animal control, more than a year ago, I was told that they were not cool with driving out of town to chase a dog through the woods. They also said very clearly, as did the Sheriff's office, that since livestock was involved, I needed to buy a rifle and take care of it myself.
    I'll amend my previous statement to say, check with your local Sheriff's office first. And no, you most definitely are not being too sensitive!
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

How brave is Phinney? Can you set up a situation with a brave horse or two and maybe one of your dogs where you do your trail ride thing, and when her dogs start to come after you be ready with a buggy or in-hand whip and just charge the dogs? (yelling your head off and doing your best Attilla The Hun impersonation) Do it without your dogs if hers come to investigate just the horses. If you get their attention that way they may learn your voice and that you are not to be messed with.

I'd also get a pellet gun or even a paintball gun. You might not be able to ride with it, but you can scare the hell out of them on your property.

Do you know anyone who might know some one on the police force? Telling the police or the Sheriff about what's going on and asking what they suggest might not be a bad idea. Start a paper trail so that if (gods forbid) it escaltes you may have some recourse.

I'm betting there isn't any such thing as a leash law where you are, and if there is I doubt they enforce it.

Sucky situation

I would put in fencing. Fencing is expensive, but it solves a great deal of the problem. We have a neighbor whose Great Dane used to come into our back yard and wreak havoc, including running into people. Fencing solved the problem. Eventually the dog wreaked havoc on enough other neighbors that she was given away.

I don't know if a squirt gun with diluted ammonia would deter the dogs from chasing people and horses on the road. Perhaps you could test it by walking your dog on a leash on the road while carrying the squirt gun. A sharp "no" followed by ammonia or pepper spray might be the answer. Make sure it is legal and that it will not cause lasting harm to the dogs.

I'm not so much worried about my yard right now though as the dogs got the message to not come down here for the most part--though a fence is on the list for sure. What I'm concerned about is riding and coming across these dogs and how to handle that. Sorry if that wasn't clear

Saje, thats what I ended up doing last night once the horse I was on figured out what was happening. I'm just not so sure I want to be chasing after a dog that is darn close to the size of a horse i'm riding. What if it decides I'm not so scary?