The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Diabetes and Lyme

Some of you know I was diagnosed with Lyme this week - started the doxy on Monday.

My blood sugars have been running really high and I'm suddenly hypersensitive to insulin.

Monday night/Tuesday AM I woke up, my glucose was 65.

Last night I woke up around 12:30 and it was 35.

I must have overdone getting some sugar into my body because my fasting this morning was 245.

Now, I know that illness can cause sugars to run high - but what's with the lows?

I'm almost at a loss as to how much insuling to take - not enough and I stay too high, but my normal dose is also causing an eventual crash.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I would be asking your doctor these questions.

I hope your doctor knows a lot about Lyme -- that disease has wreaked havoc on my family. I've had it three times, and two of my sons apparently had it for a few years before being diagnosed. My oldest is having to repeat 10th grade b/c it so affected him cognitively (and we didn't realize it for two years). My youngest had almost no symptoms (he had a couple of hours of bad knee pain that went away) and given my track record, I went ahead and had him tested -- yup, positive.

Too much information -- but it is a tricky disease by itself, let alone adding diabetes into the mix. Our doctor uses regular medicine as well as herbs/supplements, and this approach has worked very well for us.

Good luck!

I guess I'm just questioning if I'm crazy or is there really a connection?

I will call my endo tomorrow and see what she has to say, and also follow up with my GP, who has treated a lot of cases.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I wouldn't be surprised. It played havoc with my blood pressure and my eyesight. Is it a side effect of the Doxy? You might try calling the pharmacist, they're usually very helpful about side effects.

I was very curious, so I googled it. According to Drugs.com interaction checker:
    MONITOR: Tetracyclines may enhance the hypoglycemic effect of insulin by increasing tissue sensitivity to exogenous insulin.

Sounds like the doxy is the culprit. Most doctors prescribe doxy because it treats both lyme and erhlichiosis (in case you've been infected by both). If you've just been infected, amoxicillin will also work. Make sure it's a high enough dose.