The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default House renovations

What's been your favorite house renovation? We've decided to take ours off the market and I've got a list a mile long of things I want to do!

Painting both interior and exterior... can't WAIT to rip out the carpet and put down wood flooring!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...&ref=fbx_album
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Exterior painting commencing this weekend at our house too...

I just had to have all those lovely Victorian details when we were buying a house... now that I have to scrape/sand/repair paint all of those gorgeous 140 year old details, I want to kill myself. Ahhh well, at least the DH no longer wants to change the color!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

We did a mongo-renovation that began last year and still has a few little things to be continued.

Our favorite part was the master bath and closet addition. I can walk into my shower -- no curtain, no obnoxious bathtub or tiny little shower space. It's a happy place, along with a lovely organized closet that I don't have to share with the hubby.

We turned the old master bath/closet into the eldest daughter's bedroom.

I also adore the floor tile which now adorns my kitchen counter instead of old cheap laminate. It's got the look and slight texture of leather, if you can imagine. Fantabulous.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

I'm dying to redo our shower but have no idea how to even start a project like that. It's not something that I'd DIY but I've been traumatized by Holmes on Homes and have no idea how to find a reputable contractor to redo it for us!

Retrospectively, I wonder what crack I was smoking that caused us to think renovations were quick and easy.

At the roughest point, I was 8 months pregnant, sleeping on a mattress on the floor in one kid's room, both kids were sleeping together in the adjacent little room, and we all shared a mini-bathroom with antique clawfoot tub (hubby=6ft2, big dude, him in the clawfoot tub ), sink and toilet. The rest of the house was in various shades of chopped-upped-ness. It was AWESOME.

The bathroom brings me most happiness!!! Totally worth it. If you have a second one you can use for a while, then let 'er rip!

Re contractors, we depended entirely on word of mouth from friends and family. Could you try something similar? At least down here, renovators are overflowing with business right now, just fyi.

My favorite has to be my kitchen. It's not a big kitchen, at all, but I put in really nice appliances and am again cooking with gas, which I love. Two ovens are a luxury, and I'll admit to occasionally hugging my refrigerator, I love it that much.

I also had my master closet professionally designed and organized, and it is so much better, easier, and functional. Thank you Classy Closets!

I'm in the middle of updating my kitchen and also replaced all my appliances. And yes, I also hug them. Often.
    And grin like an idiot every time I walk into the kitchen.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Whenever I have moved I always end up repainting within a few months -- just enough to make the new place mine. My mom and I just updated my living space from a cool, dirty khaki beige to a soft, warm tan. The whole house feels so much more welcoming. And it's cheap if you are a DIYer. Buy the highest quality paint available -- you will spend the same amount but have to do a lot less work with the better stuff.

Ugh, our house has a mile long list of stuff that needs to be done. It's a small, 1880 2-story house. Needs new roof, new windows, new siding, new walls, new ceilings, new floors, new....etc etc, lol.

Luckily for me, my boyfriend does property maintenance for a living, and also construction (he's building me a 2-stall barn at the moment ), so he can do almost all the work needed.

I think we've decided that he's going to just start over, and build a small house on the property, and we'll eventually tear down the house we live in now.....but no final decisions yet. I actually really love this house, but it needs major work. Decisions, decisions....

I think my favorite renovation we've done so far is tile a portion of our family room, and add a small wood-burning stove. That stove alone heated our whole house last winter, and with 3.5 acres of woods, cost nothing for wood! (Although, we will be getting a furnace this fall, lol).
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

we redid some of the gardens on our property this spring/early summer and it turned into a mini-archaeology dig! Put those skills to use that have been long dormant since getting my minor in archaeology/volunteering days. We've founf horse shoes, many cut nails, half and full ink bottles, saw blades, slate roofing shingles, a spur, and the best of all, a Ninja Turtle head.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

We bought our house a year ago at a great price due to the old berber carpet, bizarre paint colors and slightly dated kitchen and other fixtures. Since then we've replaced the carpet in family room, formal living/dining room, hallway, and two kids room with laminate wood floors from Lumber Liquidators. It was super easy, cost effective, and looks fantastic! People think it's real hardwood. We've also repainted almost the entire interior! Next project is to redo the laundry room subfloor and put in all new Allure flooring throughout the laundry and kitchen. Oh yeah, almost forgot these. Redid the subfloor insulation by laying on our back in the crawlspace... not fun. The other big reno was redoing the heating/AC system to natural gas. Put in a brand new furnace, constructed a closet around it, built ductwork to tie in from the new furnace location to the existing house ducts. Yeah, that was a tough job. But it cut our energy bills in half, even during the hottest months of the summer!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I am in desperate need of wood floors. Not even real wood floors, Give me Pergo and I will be happy !!!!!! I hate carpert, it just seems IDK dirty to me, Is that weird? I feel like I vaccum and vaccum and I still find massive quantities of long orange hair, Thanks to baby cheeto the most adorable cat you will ever meet

Hubby has a USMC "reunion" in vegas coming up in Nov. He really really wants me to go... I however think wood floors are a much more pressing issue Yes, I feel old. I mean who passes up VEGAS for WOOD FLOORS??
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

A perfectly normal person gives up Vegas for wood floors.
    Vegas will last a short time, cost a bunch and you'll not have a single thing to show for it.
    Wood floors will last you a lifetime.
    No brainer.

I'm still quietly annoyed at the expense of our recent vacation...first one we took in 12 years...because I have a list of stuff I'd rather have done to the house or property as opposed to going to FL.

Vacations IMO are a waste of redecorating money.

And no, it's not unusual to think carpeting is dirty. Many times when we think that, we're right. Just get them professionally cleaned once and see what color they turn out to be clean and you'll know you weren't imagining the dirt, LOL!

However I do have carpeting in bedrooms and living room. Hard floors everywhere else including halls. It's a lot of work keeping them clean with a farm outside and dog and cat and husband and kid inside. I prefer the look of hardwood for bedrooms and living room, but not the ice cold flooring in winter. Not to mention we sit on the floor a lot. And area rugs are a pita too. And my dingbat large dog slides on hard floors and pulls muscles or pinches nerves. *sigh*
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I feel the same way!! Vacations are a waste of money. I dont mind say going to the beach for a weekend or camping ( we all need and deserve to get away for a weekend ) BUT to spend a whole week somewhere? NO WAY, the novelty wears off fast for me!! I guess im an big advocate or "weekend getaways" !!!

Yes, the floors will last a lifetime, IF we were in our "life time house". The plan is to build in 5 - 10 years ( im still unsure where this $$$ is coming from tho ) LOL !!!!!

Ugh, cold floors is something I have taken in to consideration, and I to love to sit on the floor I think I just really want a wet-jet steam mop !!!!!! I also think with little investment nice hardwood floors ( fake or not ) could be a bonus selling point down the road. We are keeping a majority carpet however.

I really do want him to go. I mean these are all guys hes spent an awful lot of time with. Heck, I have heard stories of spooning to keep warm !!!!! But, I dont need to go and that will save alot of $$. I also really want him to go as hes talking of re-enlisting. Ummm no, I dont think so. So a little part of me is hoping with a little reminicing he will work it out of his system.
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Same here, a weekend away is fine. I'm an easy keeper with that stuff...I'm good foor 6 months to a year with just a day away.
    Probably because it costs a small fortune for a stay-in farm sitter so I have to take every vacation cost and add $100 per day fo farm sitting.
    Usually my only day off every year is my trip to the Equine Affaire every November. (wow, that's sad that I go somewhere horsie on my horsie day off, LOL)

if I'm not stressing over the vacation money not being used on house stuff, I'm stressing about it not being used on farm stuff. I want a riding ring finished before I need to add handicap rails to one. The footing alone will be almost $10k. Our stupid trip to FL cost half that. And it wasn't even fun or relaxing...I was twice as stressed by the time we got home again. (went to visit my MIL)

Yes, hardwoods increase home sales prices. Even good laminates are better for resale over carpeting. Unless the carpeting is brand new.

Either way, when listing a home for sale the #1 ways to increase sale price and reduce tiime on the market are:
    New floors/carpets
    New Paint
    updated looking kitchen
    Not older than dirt appliances
    Updated bathrooms
    Curb appeal
    Neutral colors
    No clutter/everything organized

The hilarious part is if you organize the snot out of your entire house and remove 75% of the extras/clutter you massively increase sales price and reduce market time the most.
    Why? Because buyers always assume when they walk into an uber-organized place they'll be uber-organized if they buy it. As if it's magic, LOL! (and less clutter means more space)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Gutted an out-of-date bathroom. Replaced the tub with a big shower. Took out a linen closet and put the wc there. Those moves left a long wall for a vanity and mirror. Did it all in blue and white. Only mistake was putting white tile on the floor. Don't every put white tile on a floor, especially a bathroom floor.

That's funny. I think we did everything on MB's list, but got carried away on a few. They'd actually done a really cute remodel in the '70's and if it had been better taken care of it would have been great, but a hardwood floor that has been flooded and warped, well, it's time to go.

We actually ended up doing some things twice, but we lived there about 13 years so our brand new fridge was not so brand new by the time we moved. So both baths got redone, one twice, new appliances, twice, actually the stovetop started out '70's brown electric, replaced with white propane with grey grids - they quit making those and I know why, replaced the last time with white propane with reflectors and black grids, cheaper looking but hella easier to clean. When we went to sell we finally got to work and did all the floors in laminate, changed around the stair railings to something less funkadelic and yanked off the mahogany plywood and put up drywall which got painted white, as did the dark brown exposed beams and anything else that didn't move.
    What I remember most about it was that everything we did had some issue that came with it - nothing level, nothing square, something needed fixing and the modern equivalent was thinner or NQR. For an example the siding was redwood lapboard and it was a good 1/4" thicker than anything we could buy even at the lumberyard at the mill, they just didn't make that anymore.
    But it sure was nice when we were done and sold just like that. I sort of miss that house, but at 1130 sq ft, counting the space under the stairs, the ol 1800 sq ft doublewide ain't that bad.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible