The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Surprising my children with a dream pony! UPDATED with even more pics! Page 3

A little bit of a brag because I'm just so excited and to get some ideas!

We are a very lucky family! My girls are 3 & almost 7, with the 6 year old in Pony Club, both have been riding since they were really tiny. I have always dreamed about being able to surprise them with a pony and this Saturday I'm getting my chance! We are being given the most amazing pony! She's sweet, docile, loves kids, small, older... everything I always wanted with just a few small health issues thrown in (nothing I can't handle and very treatable).

The girls have met her and ridden her and fell in love (as did I!!!). They keep asking me if we're going to get her and I have been telling them I don't know and changing the subject. My friend and I are picking her up on Saturday, having told the girls that we are bringing friend's horse somewhere to have her saddle fitted (history of this) and then showing up with the pony.

Anyway, to the questions! I'd like to "decorate" the pony. The lady I'm getting her from is wonderful and has offered to have her all clean and pretty (not hard to be pretty but hard to get clean, she's very white grey) but I'd like to do more! What would you all suggest? Should I braid ribbons into her mane? A big pink bow around her neck that I slip on as she's coming off the trailer? Any other suggestions? I'm just SO HAPPY!
    Last edited by eventamy; Jan. 18, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Grab mane and kick on!

Fingerpaint with non-toxic paint on the white body...you can do hearts and both little girls' names. That way the 3 year old who probably doesn't read too well yet can recognize her name on the pony.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Pink bows!! And pictures!
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

TWINKLE!

There are even stencils so you can put stars, hearts, etc in glitter on the pony!!

Will you be my mom?

Quote Originally Posted by UnoIsMyHorse View Post
    Will you be my mom?
    Me, too!! Me, too!!

You could braid/crimp her mane and tail so that it's all wavy, and get some glitter for her hooves. You can even get kits with stencils for making glitter hearts for horses -- here's your chance to play My Little Pony for real!

Or you could clip hearts on her haunches, assuming that, like most ponies, she already has a good start on her winter coat.

How about a pretty pony halter, perhaps pink, or a fun overlay, or one with lots of bling?

You could also get a kid-sized grooming kit with brushes sized for small hands, rubber bands, scrunchies, and everything they need to doll her up on their own.

I wanted that pony SOOOOO badly when I was little. Your girls are SO lucky, and you're a great mom!
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

I must admit, having a good reason to get a pony is one of my main motivations in ever having kids! I would second the Twinkle products and ribbons in the mane and tail. What lucky girls!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

yeah, twinkle!!!! Big bow. We covered my pony in twinkle when he went to his new, little kid, home...(with permission), and they loved it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I must admit, having a good reason to get a pony is one of my main motivations in ever having kids!
    LOL, I'm trying to see if my smaller nieces and nephews have any equine interest so *I* can justify buying myself...erm, THEM, a pony.

Although not sure how that'll work out since I like the really evil little Shitlands the best.

BTW eventamy...you WILL have a camera at this Surprise Pony event, right?
    And you WILL post the photos...or video, right?

What's the pony's name? Does it have a cute pony name?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Her name is Maggie! Which is perfect because all of our animals have people names. And YES, we will have the video camera and camera going! That's my husband's job!!!
    I think I'm going to Joanne's later to find pink ribbon and have a friend make a big bow, I can use a safety pin and a longer ribbon to put it around her neck. I love the idea of the Pink twinkle too! Maybe some hearts on her bum! Thanks!
    Grab mane and kick on!

Quote Originally Posted by eventamy View Post

Her name is Maggie! Which is perfect because all of our animals have people names. And YES, we will have the video camera and camera going! That's my husband's job!!!
    I think I'm going to Joanne's later to find pink ribbon and have a friend make a big bow, I can use a safety pin and a longer ribbon to put it around her neck. I love the idea of the Pink twinkle too! Maybe some hearts on her bum! Thanks!
    Oh my gosh I have a horse AND a dog named Maggie, LOL! And I thought I was unique in naming the dog, then we got the horse that already had the name.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I hate to be Debbie Downer and all, as I realize that you are excited. But really, your kids are getting a lovely and appropriate pony. Why does if have to be dressed up like some fairy tale princess? It's a pony. Not a toy.

I'm sorry, but the whole glitter and glitz thing, IMO just makes light of the fact that it's a real living, breathing animal and not some all play, no work fantasy.

And yes, I did get my dream pony when I was six. He was covered in hair, dirt and burrs. It was the best wrapping job ever. NOTHING made me happier than finding the gorgeous pony beneath that mess. It also taught me a great deal about grooming (the joys and benefits) and made the pony feel so much better, he decided I was pretty cool too.

I'm not saying you should give them a filthy pony. Just that the pony itself is more than enough. Beware other unintentional messages. But I am obviously really old fashion that way.

Congrats to your kids. They are very lucky little girls.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    I hate to be Debbie Downer and all, as I realize that you are excited. But really, your kids are getting a lovely and appropriate pony. Why does if have to be dressed up like some fairy tale princess? It's a pony. Not a toy.

I'm sorry, but the whole glitter and glitz thing, IMO just makes light of the fact that it's a real living, breathing animal and not some all play, no work fantasy.

And yes, I did get my dream pony when I was six. He was covered in hair, dirt and burrs. It was the best wrapping job ever. NOTHING made me happier than finding the gorgeous pony beneath that mess. It also taught me a great deal about grooming (the joys and benefits) and made the pony feel so much better, he decided I was pretty cool too.

I'm not saying you should give them a filthy pony. Just that the pony itself is more than enough. Beware other unintentional messages. But I am obviously really old fashion that way.

Congrats to your kids. They are very lucky little girls.

SCFarm
    Well, really, tbh, the daughters are probably more than happy just with the pony.

The decorating, is more for mom.. and is a ton of fun

You can't go wrong with a big bow and/or ribbons in her mane! My daughter is 20 now and she still has the big bow that her surprise Christmas pony wore when she was 9
    Y'all ain't right!

You can dye them with Koolaid (it comes out very well, esp with some whitening shampoo) My 4H kids dyed one of mine with shapes and colors-made a paste, got pony wet, then drew on her with paste.

Also, if you use plain toothpaste, you can draw whatever you want and then sprinkle GLITTER (why did I not know this when I was that age lol its SO MUCH FUN!) on the toothpaste-then when you don't want the glitter anymore, just wash the toothpaste off.

Braid sparkly curly ribbon into mane, tail, forelock, put big red bow around neck, etc.

When I got my first horse as a kid, my dad had him all decorated and the stall-and pointed out "Look G, he has a card for you!" and inside was a note from the horse about how he would take good care of me and love me if I promised to take good care of him, etc. I'd hand them something like that-and save it and the big red bow too, because I still have mine 25 years later-complete with horse's tooth marks where he had sampled the taste of the ribbon! It and the pictures/family video are some of my most treasured possessions.

I'm seriously tearing up right now imagining your children getting their dream pony and what a wonderful mother you are to be so excited like this. Congratulations!
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by eventamy View Post

NOOOOO! Don't use a safety pin!!!!! I did this and it somehow got unsnapped and lodged into the horses NECK See if you can find some other way to fasten it.

I am so excited for you!! I got a pony for my 2yo (well, more for me than her since she can't even really ride yet ) and enjoyed every minute. Your girls are going to LOOOOOOOOVE you

No safety pin. Pick up some stick on velcro while you are at joannes!
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by UnoIsMyHorse View Post
    Will you be my mom?
    Me too!!!

Can't wait for pics. I'm so excited for you and your girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    No safety pin. Pick up some stick on velcro while you are at joannes!
    Masking tape.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

If you're fingerpainting the horse, you want the washable paint from the craft store. Cut it with dish detergent, or you may be scrubbing faint green halos off pony for a week. (Ask me how I know. )
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.